Playoff Scenario Time!

I dunno. Seem to recall a couple years ago when there was a chance at a 3 way tie that the entire format for tiebreaking was diferent when 3 teams are involved. Something about record within the division and then points for and against in the division trumping head to head results.

Does it really matter which of the 3 ugly stepsisters get in with a losing record

The odds are with the Als to play in Edmonton ??? so are you saying that the Stamps regain 1rst place in the West ? or are you saying that the Als crossover to the West and win the WSF against the 2nd place Stamps then face the Esks in the WF ?
Because if the playoffs opened tomorrow the WSF would be played in Calgary right now not in Edmonton. Personally I can’t see the Alouettes “IF” they do somehow make the playoffs doing nothing but getting absolutely destroyed in the WSF regardless of if it’s Edmonton or Calgary that they face. I do agree with you though that the Alouettes should end up with at the very least a 6-12 record with that last game “freebie” against those RumpRiders BUT then again they did manage to lose to Saskatchewan already this season, one of only two wins they have had all season…So if you ask me, All bets are off for that last game of the season as a Gimme game for those Alouettes. The odds IMO are certainly NOT with the Als to get that final playoff spot as no matter what they must still somehow end up with more pts then either the Lions or the BB’s to crossover and I’m going on record right now saying that it won’t be done and that the Alouettes are unofficially DONE for this season.

Actually the rules are quite complex for determining who ends up in what position in the standings. Page 7 of the rule book has a list of 10 descending methods of determining position starting with most points of course and then if there is a tie a set of tie breaking rules that ends with a coin toss as last resort.

I have no idea if Calgary or Edmonton will take first and personally I couldn’t care less. I should have said that the odds are with the Als to crossover, who they play doesn’t matter at all

Right now my scenarios have in the East 1. Hamilton, 2. Toronto, 3. Ottawa, 4. Montreal with the Alouettes taking the last playoff spot and crossing over to the West. I don't see Edmonton or Calgary losing anymore games, so it will be Edmonton taking first and Calgary hosting Montreal.

Looking at the remaining schedule for all three teams and I would have to say 1. Argos, 2 Hamilton, 3 Ottawa
The Argos have the soft schedule to finish.
West either the Esks or Stamps will finish 1st or 2nd. Who gets 3rd? The Als can’t seem to beat anyone right now and no sign of winning, the Lions keep blowing games so it’s likely that the Als will win their last game at home against the Riders and end up with 6 wins and crossing over.

Mathews will outplay Harris over the remaining games and ham defense is miles ahead of argo defense. Argos luck if they hang onto second.

That doesn’t really work. Hamilton only needs to win 2 of their last three games to clinch. Toronto needs to win out with Hamilton only winning one game to take first. For that to happen, then Hamilton has to lose to B.C. and beat Ottawa once, but only if Ottawa loses to Winnipeg, then Hamilton has to take the series by scoring more points over the two games. If both B.C. and Winnipeg win one game then Montreal, in addition to beating Saskatchewan also has to beat either Toronto or Edmonton. If Montreal beats Toronto, then Hamilton finishes ahead of Toronto by virtue of the their one hypothetical win.

but what happens if wally steals the football?

Then Wally is suspended and the Lions forfiet that game. If he steals the Calgary ball then nothing happens that affects the east, if he steals the Hamilton ball then Hamilton likely wins on tie breaker with Toronto but falls due to the tie breaker with Ottawa because forfiets don’t count as much as wins in the tie breaker, but if he steals the Toronto ball BC might be able to sneak out with the win, take the 3rd playoff spot in the west and leave Toronto in 3rd in the east because the game will be an Argo home game so no one will be there to remember. Also Wally has people on the payroll at TSN who will erase the tapes of the game. Video review will be done but they will confirm the call on the field; “The ball vanished into thin air, game is a forfiet”.

:cowboy:

nicely done dcmoses.

Thanks FYB. I take back all those ugly things I said about you. Even the ones I said behind your back. :wink:

heh heh

In the east the two games between Hamilton and Ottawa should be fun to watch. Obviously if somebody wins both - they finish first. If they split - that is where things get interesting.

If they split - and the Argos win both their remaining games - resulting in a threeway tie - that would mean Hamilton would get 1st, the Argos 2nd and Redblacks 3rd.

Tiebreaker would be head to head record in games between those three teams. In that case Hamilton would be 4-1 (three wins over the Argos, one over Ottawa). Argos second with a 3-3 record - three wins over Ottawa and 3 losses to Hamilton and Ottawa third with just the one win over Hamilton.

However if the Argos lose one of their two remaining games and Hamilton and Ottawa split then the result of the two Hamilton - Ottawa games become like the old Eastern Finals - basically a two game total point affair.

This should be interesting.

I believe in the case of a 3 way tie, the league uses the team’s record within the division. That’s the only way that you can have teams compared using the same numbers of games. How can you use teams with six games vs teams with 5 games played. I could be wrong, its been a long time since I’ve read the tie breaker rules.

TravelPat is correct, although they use winning percentage in games between the tied teams rather than points. Here’s the link for the complete tiebreaker procedure.

http://www.cfl.ca/page/game_rule_tiebreak

Harris isn’t playing.

As of today, here are the possible scenarios for the eastern division. Yes, those two games between Hamilton and Ottawa are critical for both teams. Anyone predict that at the beginning of the season?

And if Hamilton and Ottawa split the two games by the same margin, Hamilton gets first place, as they would have a better record within the division.