Just trying to generate a little discussion again about playoff formats. I really want to see a return to the old playoff format of best of 3. It used to be the season was 16 games long with a best of 3 in the finals [in the West]. I never did like the two game total points system in the East. I'm not suggesting that they reduce the season to 16 games, just to change the playoff format.
I'll give you my reasoning:
- Makes for a more exciting playoff season. At least it does to me
- Reduces the chances of a team not advancing because it came up "flat" for one game.
- Assures that the "better" team advances. Eliminates or at least reduces the odds of advancing with a fluke win.
- Bad calls by officials can determine the outcome. A best out of 3 could help avoid the better team being eliminated because of critical missed calls or bad calls. While there will always be bad calls, it's less likely to determine the final outcome over a three game series.
- Would generate more revenue for the teams in the finals
- Many other pro sports use a best of series format: WTC, NBA, NHL, MLB
I know some of you guys won't agree but it would have been interesting last year for example when Calgary was eliminated by Saskatchewan if the outcome would have been different had it been the best of 3.