Players want bigger piece of CFL pie

The players have been screwed big time, so with the TV contract this is a way for them to possibly recover.
A 50/50 share would seem in order.
Also while we are at it, I could never understand the concept of a 46 man roster with 42 playing, why?
Increase the roster size to 50 players period, everyone plays.

My mistake but the point holds…teams get 2.3 million and all of it should go to the player?

Yes that is true to a point…but I dont care what you are…if you apply for a job that pays X and you ask for 2X you wont get the job…and if you have the greatest product in the world…it takes money to produce it…the owners money

Again…they can always go flip burgers

No Im not saying that, Im not saying dont raise the cap
Im saying there is no reason to raise to double it

Again…we dont know what coaches make…how do you know they have doubled?
And yes, I have no problem with a CEO making 1000 times what a worker makes

No players dont put in the hours that coaches do.
There is a lot of money going around where work as well, because of me and the people who work there…is it resonable for me to demand that my salary double? Is it going to happen?
45,000 for 5 months work is 108,000 a year…I dont feel sorry for them

Now
Why is it that when bus drivers go on strike(No I dont drive a bus) Most people here call them lazy and over paid and curse unions…but if a pro athlete goes on strike…most people take their side?

Bring in the best person for the job

Bob young is out over $50M since he purchased the tabbies and saved 40 plus player jobs. Shouldn't he be rewarded a chance to recoup some of that before boosting player's salaries too much?
Until all teams are making money, it's hard for me to side with the players here.
This league exists due mostly to owners' sacrifices. Players get paid regardless.

The status quo has led to the creation of another team and all the player jobs that go along with that. Nothing to sneeze at.
Perhaps a 10th team, and more jobs can be created if players aren't too greedy.

I would like the players to push the idea of Revenue Sharing amongst teams, including Grey Cup money, as well as coaches salary capped for the reasons stated by others in this thread.
I believe those are the things that will ultimately lead to every team being profitable, which then can lead to higher player's salary.

If the league agrees to those terms, then the cap should go up modestly as a show of growing this league together.
If the league refuses, then fight for every penny.

Some of it should. I never said all of it. :slight_smile: (Even among the players, almost nobody is going to seriously believe the cap is going up $2.3 million. Negotiations of this sort always start aiming at the moon and coming down towards somewhere realistic.)

Yes that is true to a point...but I dont care what you are...if you apply for a job that pays X and you ask for 2X you wont get the job...and if you have the greatest product in the world...it takes money to produce it...the owners money
I don't know, if Ricky Ray walked up to the Bombers and said "pay me double what you're paying your current #1 guy and I'll play here", do you think he gets the job?

I’m confident they’d agree to that deal faster than Turkeybend can tell us how great the Riders are. Talent matters. If the CFL decided to lock out the players and go bring in replacements at minimum wage, the product quality would go down considerably, and everybody knows it.

It’s also not uncommon for a guy to come in as a rookie making the league minimum, establish himself as a star, and then say “now I want double what I got before,” and get it. When you really are that much better at the job than someone else, you can do that.

Again....they can always go flip burgers
And the owners could always go put their money into stocks.
No Im not saying that, Im not saying dont raise the cap Im saying there is no reason to raise to double it
Then we're in agreement.
45,000 for 5 months work is 108,000 a year....I dont feel sorry for them
Actually it's $45,000. Then they need to find another job for the rest of the year where that employer doesn't mind their employee disappearing for a while every football season.

There’s a reason why guys like Sandy Beverage retired early when an outside of football job opportunity appeared. Playing in the CFL is nothing resembling a “set for life” thing.

Now Why is it that when bus drivers go on strike(No I dont drive a bus) Most people here call them lazy and over paid and curse unions...but if a pro athlete goes on strike....most people take their side?
I doubt that "people on the forums" and "most people" line up that well... but the last time I saw a bus driver strike, they wanted a 15% raise, which was going to be paid by taxpayers who were themselves getting nowhere near that. Anytime you're asking a taxpayer getting 0% raises to pay for a double digit raise, you're going to get resistance. Not saying I agree with it, but that's why it happens. (I say that as a civil servant who has gotten 0% for several years in a row due to the poor economy, that 15% demand was just absurd.)

CFL players just saw the owners get handed $2 million and change, and they want a piece. Seeing as how nobody goes to the game to watch David Braley or the Winnipeg Board of Directors, it’s pretty clear who is actually generating that revenue. So yeah, I support them getting a cut. Management should also get a cut, since they’ll be paying for stadiums, coaching, etc, etc, and hopefully a profit margin.

When there’s more money coming in and the question is how to give everybody more, it’s a pretty good problem to have. :slight_smile:

and, let’s also not ignore, that, the status quo has helped with the creation of many new or refurbished stadiums. thus, better work environments for the players.
the owners are not just keeping the money for themselves. they are reinvesting that money in stadiums, which feature better training facitlities and such for the players;
Commonwealth, BC place, IGF, THF, Lansdowne, Molson stadium and a new Riders’ stadium on the way.

And if they did we would not be having this conversation…and the players would be flipping burgers(figurativly speaking)

I agree with you 100%. Lets bring in coaches who coach CANADIAN FOOTBALL.Lets stop bringing in Trey Junkin and other former players who have no clue. The bias is awful. mike oshea cant work his way past special teams, yet look at Ed Hervey. Canadian coaches are discriminated against in their own country. Cal Murphy had to go to the states to prove himself. Canda is such a backwards nation

doubt it is anywhere near that kind of money and most of Young’s losses are self-inflicted. Like the 1.2 million h has to pay Cortez to work for the Riders

[url=http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/21/despite-red-ink-owner-bob-young-still-passionate-about-his-hamilton-tiger-cats]http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/21/de ... tiger-cats[/url]
But he’s here at this Grey Cup as a much more interesting story than most of his players or coaches. And that’s before you get into the likely $40 million or more he’s lost as owner in the last decade and the $6 million or more he’s lost this year alone. That number will rise if he wins the game and has to buy rings and pay bonuses.

You have to wonder how much money Young has lost in the decade he’s owned the team. Most football executives around the league speculate it is likely somewhere between $30 and $50 million.

The number of mistakes he made in contracts he had to buy out in the first half of his ownership run were ridiculous, resulting in two 3-15 years and a 4-16 season, prompting Young’s great line: “I was ready to wring the damn owner’s neck until I realized who the owner was.?

This year alone, you have to figure $6-$7 million with the costs related to playing out of a 13,000-seat stadium made up of temporary seats in Guelph.

The twist here is that it’s going to cost Young even more money by getting to the Grey Cup.

When you get to the big game, it usually costs about an extra half-million because the league only pays for so many players and coaches in playoff money. The winners get $16,000 and the losers $8,000. Some also pay for shares to trainers, equipment managers, scouts and executives. It’s up there.

There’s also bonus money in coaches’, general manager’s and executives’ contracts.

The biggest expense? Grey Cup rings.

The league allowance is only $60,000. The costs have been more than $300,000 with the rings for both David Braley’s teams in the last two years.

IMO the players and owners should sign a 5 year cba, this way the new tv deal and cba run at the same time.
While I'm not crazy about players getting specific shares of the overall revenues, if it does goes back to that I'd like to see a 60-40 split for the owners, 50-50 isn't fair for the owners and 30-70 isn't fair to the players.
The NHL and the NBA are at 50-50 right now and they'll probably regret those deals soon, NFL and MLB are under 48% for the players. Once all these deals end you'll see the drop for the players yet again, so plan ahead this way to drops will be lower for players in the future.

Rosters sizes are more than good enough currently, although I see no reason for the "reserve list", if 46 players are being paid full salaries they should all be dressed. I think the ratio should be a 50-50 split with QB's included into the ratio.

As for the cap rise, I'd like to see the players receive $1 million over the 5 years, broken down to $600k in 2014, then $100k from '15 - '18.

You are contradicting yourself.

The roster sizes of 46 with 42 dressing were changed when Ottaww folded last time. Now that they're back, it could go back to what it was... But it likely won't. It's hard to shrink the roster again after expanding it.

Still no one can answer the obvious question why do 42 play, why not all 46?

No idea why, but other leagues do it also. NFL carries 53 and plays 46, NHL carries 23 and plays 20. I think NBA and MLB carry and dress 11 and 24 respectively. At least these leagues did so a few years ago.

IIRC 42 played before. They didn’t change that, they just added more players that didn’t play to give teams some flexibility and absorb some of the payers Ottawa had at the time.

The players should get more no question but as for a cba i would like to see a 10 year deal now with a cap for coaches now sure if i like that idea or even if would be legal but if it was set it at $400.000.

Uh…I don’t think I have to remind you of how many players in this league took a financial hit by taking salary cuts in the '90’s to assist this league financially when things looked pretty bleak?

So the old “shut up and be happy you’ve got a job!” bit doesn’t fly here…

More importantly,the players make the lions share of the profit…No one goes to football games,or any sporting match for that matter,to see an owner…The players essentially,make the product…And I haven’t seen anyone claim owners are “greedy”,but,I have seen people asking for a share in the pie they helped create…

“Free” market/pro-management drivel…

“The players get paid regardless”…

The “greedy” players in this league took huge sacrifices back in the '90’s mostly because of the greed of the short sighted owners and their ridiculous “black out” rules…

It’s the poor,downtrodden management of this league and the bad decisions they have made,historically speaking,that has got this league into financial difficulty…

Mr. Young is getting a new stadium built for him mostly on the public’s dime and is going to reap the benefit of corporate naming rights,in stadium advertising,and,many new corporate box suites…Sorry,I’m going to shed a tear for a billionaire who’s going to make a lot of money off of OPM…

Or the crappy football teams he’s had a hand in putting on the field for a decade…“Dear Leader” worship of Mr. Young,and covering oneself in it as if it’s a badge of honour,has become a near religion in Tiger-Cat land…

:roll: :lol: