Player photo archive

I know, I haven't been able to find anyone with that number, I thought maybe it was a back they stuck in for short yards, but then he rolls out to throw.

well I think this must not have been the guy's normal #..

it's either Harold Smith, who was there from 1985-86

or Homer Jordan 1983-85

they are the only two QB's that were not starters during 1985

would this be Mark Urness

Mark Urness #51

no

Mark Urness was #54

[url=http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=homer+jordan&hl=en&sa=X&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnso&tbnid=MdZP9BT-F098kM:&imgrefurl=http://www.fanbase.com/photo/437381&docid=stFKpi6eKiH9yM&w=300&h=420&ei=adJ7TsC6DM_biAKr26X0Cg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=778&vpy=178&dur=4114&hovh=266&hovw=190&tx=110&ty=136&page=2&tbnh=131&tbnw=94&start=15&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:15&biw=1024&bih=668]http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=homer+jor ... 24&bih=668[/url]

cflisthebest: Here’s a Roughrider card of Homer Jordan - College Clemson Tigers.

I have shots of Homer Jordan from the same game, so I can rule him out. So it may be looking like Harold Smith.

Thanks

Scott

I get the same problem with alot of stuff I’m looking for…seems to be more NFL stuff and what not compared to CFL…and that is annoying.

I remember 1985 quite well. Riders beat Hamilton in Week 5 at Taylor Field. Paopao was QB and was among the league’s passing leaders. Then in the 2nd half of the win against Ham, he hurt his knee.

I believe that the game in Ottawa that year was the very next week. Homer Jordan started that game that the Riders lost 17-4. I did not see that game but judging by the 4 points, perhaps a QB change was in order. Harold Smith is the only other QB that I remember, but I only ever remember him wearing #9. I have the team photo large poster from 1985, the first year of the helmet wrap uniforms. The players are sitting in numerical order. #6 Paopao, #8 Jordan and #9 Smith.

Week 7 the Riders went to Edmonton I remember vividly watching that game on TV. Homer Jordan had the game of his life, opening the game with a 6 minute TD drive. Game went back and forth up and down the field with Sask winning 42-34 and taking a share of first place in the West at 4-3. That was a huge deal.

Then they lost 5 straight and finished 5-11.

Harold Smith had a handful of starts in 1986 - a bad year for Rider QB injuries, Bentrim, Smith and Quarles all had starts and I believe all got hurt at one point. Smith became a QB coach for the Riders in the early 90s.

we sure had a lot of no name QB's back in the 80's.

I think only

Hufnagel
Paopao
Austin
Burgess

were the only QB's to really make a statement

Check that, I’m pretty sure Bentrim was '87. But Paopao would have been there still in '86. The greatest Sask/Wpg Labour Day game was '86, Paopao to Elgaard, and James Sykes replaced the injured Willard Reaves and ran for 190 yards.

To add to the mystery, I only have pictures of him from one series, but I do a bench shot with Harold Smith #9, standing on the sidelines and Homer Jordan on the field, #39 doesn't appear in any other photos including the few bench shots I have.

Paopao was out with a knee injury that game. Perhaps the Riders only took 2 QBs to that game and they both got nicked and some defensive back was listed as the emergency 3rd stringer and got some action?

That's what I was thinking, it looks like a DB and the number would be right, but Jordan is in all the other negatives I have throughout the game, I also don't have anyone listed as #39 playing for the Riders that year.