Player numbering system

I was wondering if anyone knows what the CFL rules are for player/position numbering? i find it quite confusing as to what numbers are aloud for positions in the league. for expample: D-Line - anwar stewart 9, Jermaine McElveen 98, Jeremy Gibbs 72, Marcus Adams 51, KItwana Jones 26. these numbers are all over the map, no continuity. the only position that seems to have standard numbers is the QB which usually falls between 1 and 19. anywho this always annoyed me about the cfl.

im sick of seeing fat@ss defensive linemen/linebackers wearing single digits, linebackers should not wear any numbers lower than 30, defensive linemen should wear number only higher than 50. It was even dumb seeing doug flutie wear number 20 back in the day. The cfl needs to adopt a numbering policy, it looks like a mess out there.

Well someone like Jones plays both DL and LB. While not rampent in the CFL, there are situations like this where players play multiple positions on the field. Plus the fact that many teams have been around for a Century means that a large number of numbers have been retired. Not that it could not be done, but there are issues to consider.

i found this for the nfl:
QB, Punter, Kicker - 1-19
RB, DB - 20-49
Centre - 50-59 - Alternate: 60-79
Guard, Tackle - 60-79
WR - 80-89 Alternate: 10-19
TE - 80-89
DL (NT/DT/DE) - 60-79 Alternate: 90-99
LB - 50-59 Alternate: 90-99

It could be a lot worse, in the NCAA players can have the same number, they just can't be on the field at the same time. Imagine three number 9's.

Personally I don`t really have a problem with the numbering system.
I never got why some leagues were so regimented on who could wear what.
But maybe thats just me.

The only real restriction is Ineligable recievers on Offence must either wear 50-69, or declair themselfs ineligable to the referee when entering the feild.

other than that players can wear anything between 0-99 as long as there are no duplicate numbers on the team.

Ron Lancaster, a QB wore 23, and he probably could have worn 76 if he wanted to.

Only americans use position specific numbers, we don't and it's is something that is again, unique about our league.

This isn't quite true. The CFL required specific numbers at certain positions for years. I distinctly remember in the 80's, D linemen having to put bids with different numbers on overtop of their jerseys in short yardage situations.

This was replaced in the 90's I think, by the system we have now, i.e. the player reporting his position to the ref when he enters the fieldd

hell NO!

go back to watching the NFL if you wanna have such a stupid numbering system.

players can choose whatever they want!

blah! :roll:

im sick of seeing fat@ss defensive linemen/linebackers wearing single digits, linebackers should not wear any numbers lower than 30, defensive linemen should wear number only higher than 50. It was even dumb seeing doug flutie wear number 20 back in the day. The cfl needs to adopt a numbering policy, it looks like a mess out there.
It could be a lot worse, in the NCAA players can have the same number, they just can't be on the field at the same time. Imagine three number 9's.
but the ncaa has an excuse, teams have a minimum of 80 players dress for games, and back in the old days they had up to 100.

Didn't Jackie Parker wear a number in the 70's?

The CFL used to have a more structured numbering system.

1950s
40-49 Centres
50-59 Guards
60-69 Tackles
70-79 Ends
80-99 Backs
all based on a player's offensive position

Starting in 1959 (1960 for some teams) the numbers changed
10-39 Backs
40-49 Centres
50-59 Guards
60-69 Tackles
70-79 Ends
80-99 Rookies (mostly in pre-season)

Some teams even divided the backs up into
10-19 Quaterbacks
20-29 Halfbacks
30-39 Fullbacks
Again based on a player's offensive position. Players generally played one way by this time but were required to be a backup on the other side of the ball due to limited rosters.

As the game changed the numbering started to get blurred and the system of eligible vs inelgible prevailed.
40-69 were ineligble until about 2005 when it was changed to 50-69.
Other than Hamilton's Joe Zuger (#9), single digit numbers didn't show up until the 1970s. Uniform numbers in the 80s & 90s were still quite rare until the 1990s.

Having everyone choose their own number freely in the CFL sounds okay if the refs want to handle all that reporting as they choose not to do in the NFL except sometimes in goal line situations when a lineman will report as eligible.

Such regular reporting otherwise would slow down the NFL game more than it is slower than CFL action already.

The way you do it in the CFL sounds great to me except there is just something inherently wrong about a fat lineman with a single digit on his jersey much like watching a fat cop on foot trying to round a corner whilst giving chase. Such dudes really stick out on the field as even more overweight than perhaps they are already.

it really wasn't until the late 80's that i can remember jersey's with 90+ numbers showing up. although did mark gastineau (NY jets, BC Lions) use 99 since the beginning of his career (late 70s) i am a bit young to recall his early days.

anywho, i would like to see the CFL get a more standard or rather just a standard numbering system, i think it would help in promoting and marketing players and bringing a continuity to the field.

They don't all choose their own number. As was said, ineligible receivers have to have a number in a specific range and they are the only ones who have to be reported to the referee when they line up in a position that would normally be for an eligible receiver. It doesn't happen that often during a game and the player reports as he's coming on the field so the time factor is miniscule.

I agree. Only Offensive linemen need to be identifiable to the Officials.

Why the NFL has numbering requirements on defense is a mystery to me.