Playbook 2016 (Offense)

[i]Johnny is going to go a little old school with his suggestions.

Good old screen passes. Yes, screens are somewhat basic in today's CFL. But, with our personnel, screens could be very effective. We have a stable of tall and big receivers (Green, Carter, Lewis, Cunningham). We also have Giguere who is built like a linebacker.

Throw short passes to a shifty and quick running back like Rutley or Logan, and let our big receivers steamroll over defensive backs and push linebackers out of the way. Not glamorous, but it should be very effective at moving the chains.

Also, the checkdown option has to be present on every play (or almost every play). Trestman always had one player, usually a running back who would come back to the QB, or stay close, to give Calvillo a last resort if all the receivers were covered. How many times did we see Calvillo check down to Coburn, and transform nothing into a 7-8 yard gain and move the chains?

Since Calvillo is now the OC, we might see an emphasis on these and other fundamentals. Every playbook, no matter how elaborate or innovative, has to include a good number of the fundamental plays.[/i]

Good post. I was going to question whether Lewis was the one built like a linebacker, then I realize it is more like an old school MLB or a modern DT.

Yes, yes, and yes! Great post.

As I recall, Cobourne and Whitaker were effective on short HB curls or check-release patterns (where the back holds his block for a few seconds, then darts through the O-line to become a short-range receiver in the short middle of the field).

This was Trestman's innovation (and this is Gary Etcheverry's observation, not mine): he came into a pass-happy league where the QB was basically ground meat for enemy pass rushes and devised a modified west coast offense designed primarily to keep the QB upright. So no more bombs away nonsense, no more QB standing one second longer in the pocket to throw the deep ball and then get crushed by an enemy DE or linebacker. His genius was in successfully integrating the CFL passing game with NFL pass protection. I am hopeful that Calvillo, who spent five highly productive years in Trestman's offense, has devised a similar playbook. This is 2016. You cannot just chuck the ball 20+ yards downfield all the time with minimal pass protection and hope for the best. Nobody does that anymore, post-Trestman, and defenses have evolved. As Johnny notes, we have the bodies at receiver to create some serious physical mismatches in the screen and running game. Let's take advantage of those strengths.

Johnny and Discipline: Totally agree re big backs, Giguere, playaction, screens etc .

SJ Green was on TSN 690 this afternoon. My biggest takeaway:

When asked what he thought of the new coaching staff he said how impressed he was with Chapdelaine, how sharp he is. He said not taking not taking anything away from AC, but Chapdelaine has been a coach alot longer.

That's honest and you have to respect it. AC knows he is super-new to coaching. I mean, he is coaching a receiver he was throwing passes to just a few years ago. So obviously S.J. isn't going to see him the way he sees a coaching veteran like Chapdelaine.

The thing with Chap: he might be abrasive, he might be a stickler for detail, but his offenses have always been good. He ran a good O last year in SSK, and he co-OCed Dave Dickenson to a Grey Cup (IIRC) in 2006. He knows how to run an offense. So he will be (and probably already has been) an invaluable resource for Calvillo to lean on.

[url=http://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/qb-kevin-glenn-is-confident-hes-the-man-as-alouettes-open-camp]http://montrealgazette.com/sports/footb ... -open-camp[/url]

It’s no secret the Als must score more points this season and get the ball into the end zone to succeed. It was the team’s Achilles heel a year ago, despite competence on defence and special teams. Glenn believes that will occur, the team using more motion and different formations to give the receivers leverage.

“They’re not always getting open off pure ability,? Glenn explained. “Our motions will counteract those (defensive) setups … the coverage they’re playing. That stuff will help us. It will alleviate some of the pressure off the receivers. They don’t have to line up every time and beat their guy. They don’t have to do as much to get open.?

Not to toot my own vetugenfluken ("I can't even reach mine!")*, but what Glenn is saying is pretty much exactly what I've been saying about motion and formation for the past few years. When you have to simplify stuff to accommodate a lesser QB, or when you have an American college or ex-NFL coach who doesn't understand the CFL, you wind up with an offense that might be easy to run but is also easy to stop, because you are putting pressure on your receivers to "line up every time and beat their guy" play after play after play. A good offense uses motion, formation, cadence, and audible to open up areas of the field for its receivers -- the motion forces defenses out of a certain coverage or makes it more difficult for them to get to their coverage assignments.

A simple example of this would be a play that involves a receiver running a crossing pattern but being aided by a pick from another receiver at the line of scrimmage. Because of that pick, the DB has to "bubble" laterally across the field to reach his receiver, which means the receiver has open space to receive the ball turn upfield and pick up a few extra yards from the start. Those are the kinds of plays we need to run routinely. No receiver, no matter how talented, can beat his man using pure ability all the time. When you consider the $hit show of garbage playbooks we've had in the past three years, it's a credit to our players that we've been able to move the ball and score points at all.

• Bonus points if you can identify this super-dated reference.

I think our biggest off-season signing is going to be proven to be Chapdelaine.

I cheated and googled the trivia question so won`t give it away. :smiley:

Lots of talent and experience on that coaching staff. Will they get along if the team starts losing ?

Another thing that would be golden for our offense, is if Jonathan Crompton would 23 skidoo! :cowboy:

Once again the Als are innovating. They are the first team to print their playbook in Braille at Jonathan Crompton's request :smiley:

C'est pas mal ce que Glenn m'a dit hier à propos du nouveau livre de jeux.

:D

Thank you for being a friend! :lol:

Are you really singing the theme of "The Golden Girls" ? :stuck_out_tongue:

[i]Surprising isn't it! Johnny would not have thought that D&P was a fan of the Golden girls. Of the 80s TV shows, maybe the A-team?

Johnny can imagine D&P pointing to Crompton and letting out a heartfelt "I pity the fool!" :lol:

[/i]

Me thinks Crompton walked in on something pretty embarrassing... :?

Hey, I likes me some Mr. T (who doesn't?), but yes, the Golden Girls was one of my favorite '80s sitcoms. :cowboy:

One of his game films?????

It wasn't bad.

In the Ginger/Mary-Ann style .... who did you like:

Dorothy, Rose, Blanche or Sophia ?

Huh? It was a seriously hilarious show. That’s what I liked about it. :smiley: Incidentally, guys like Mitch Hurwitz (from Arrested Development) cut their teeth scriptwriting for the Golden Girls (which you can see in the quality of the material AD had for Lucille Bluth).