Playbook 2016 (Offense)

[url=http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/15/new-england-patriots-denver-broncos-afc-championship-game-pick-plays]http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/15/new-engla ... pick-plays[/url]

So what do y'all want to see from this year's edition of the Alouettes? As you can probably guess from the above link, I want to see more picks and rubs from the offensive unit. The past three years, our receivers have had to work too hard to make catches, because every catch was contested -- the systems weren't increasing our odds of generating space between receiver and DB before the ball arrives. With the size of our receiving corps -- Carter, Green, Lewis, Giguere -- we should be looking to group receivers in stacks or bunches in order to spring a man using a legal, LOS pick and thereby create separation.

In terms of specific plays, I'd like to see us focus on shallow crosses using Carter or perhaps Cunningham (lined up at Z WR). Run a frontside cross to the field side with the RB (A) on a boundary flat route (or possibly wheel); meanwhile, the slot (Y) receiver is running a go or deep post route to create a pick possibility with Carter's crossing route. Backside, you have X and S running any combination of stacked routes: go/in, fade/post, and so on. The QB's read is relatively simple: inside out, in order of cross (Z), inside (X), and flat/wheel (A). Later in the season, once the base playbook is properly installed, Calvillo could add an option route for Y and also run the play out of different formations (double tight, pistol, etc.). With our set of big, physical receivers, we should be looking to generate space with legal picks and rubs at the line of scrimmage.

Your thoughts? What plays would you like to see? What personnel would you like to deploy in particular ways?

Here's a quick reference image for pass plays:

Also, here's another cross variation where the wheel and post are add-ons to the basic pre-snap read:

I have no preference but I hope they find a way to be successful being diversified and unpredictable. I am hoping they play faster on offense than they have in past years.

In the above image, IMO you'd use Carter at Z (feature WR) for the deep threat, clearing out coverage underneath for Cunningham/Stafford/Hoffman/Logan (A) to catch the ball free in space with plenty of field ahead of them as they turn upfield. If Carter doesn't take coverage with him, well, that's great for us; Glenn can go to that post route and be pretty confident of Carter's ability to beat his man. Giguere sits in that X comeback, a play that works for him because he's a lot better at catching balls thrown directly into his numbers than he is at catching on the run or over his shoulder. If anybody cheats or gets caught in a rub, Green comes free on the dig route (Y).

Agreed and they should be able to, given that we're starting the year with a veteran QB (Glenn) at the helm. Tempo needs to kick up and Glenn is just the guy to do it while the youngsters learn behind him. Glenn in charge will also allow Calvillo to add options to route stems so it's harder for defenses to pattern-read.

I'm also hoping that Chappy, as receivers coach, can improve our ability to mask tells pre-snap. The whole group needs to eliminate the tells that might signal whether or not a given receiver is the primary read on the play, or whether he's secondary, tertiary, or a decoy. Defenses have evolved a LOT in the past five years and any good defensive unit is going to do its film study and catch your tendencies, especially in a nine-team league where you play teams multiple times and get to know them really well. In our division, we've got a murderer's row of experienced enemy DCs: Stubler, Nelson, and Hall. You can be sure that if our receivers have obvious tendencies, they will exploit them.

I`m not a technical guru, but agree with Dap that we now have a veteran QB in Glenn who understands coverages and will make his reads and get the ball to the open man.

And I want to see decent 1st down production so that teams aren`t teeing off on Glenn on 2nd down.

Yeah, and I'd add that I think a key is good first-down pass production. We're already good at running the ball (Sutton was the league rusher last year). But if we can't pass the ball on first down, enemy defenses are going to load up the box and stuff the run because they don't respect our ability in the air.

Great topic.

I anticipate a more complex O playbook in '16. In Calvillo and Chapdelaine, the Als have 2 coaches who will raise the bar and expect the entire O-Team to proficiently execute a more sophisticated assortment of pass plays.

Talent-wise, we have the receivers and running backs to do this, and at least 1 QB (Glenn) who appears ready to lead this. If Glenn goes down with injury, then all bets are off ...

One small nit-pick item I hope the coaches address. Last few seasons on broken plays, the receivers and QBs tended to head back to the huddle indicating "I blew it .. that was on me". While it's heartwarming to 'fess-up to your team-mates, it telegraphs information about the intended play to the opposing DC. Knock it off, guys!

That's really interesting. What sorts of plays generated that head-down response? If it was a play where a receiver dropped a catchable ball that would have led to a first down or a major, or the QB missed a wide-open receiver, I don't think it's a huge deal -- everyone in the stadium knows the mistake. But if it's something more subtle, I agree that there's no need to flag how the play was supposed to run for the opposing team.

Agree with you on drops and bad throws. Everyone in the stadium sees the flub, and it's no big deal for the player to point at his own chest and say "Yeah, I screwed up".

What concerned me more was watching QBs like Troy Smith and Crompton interact with receivers after the WR cut left, and the incomplete pass was thrown to the right. Somebody blew the assignment, but this should never be communicated by either player on the field.

In general, my impression is that the consistently successful football teams (NE Patriots and GB Packers come to mind) telegraph very little after every play. Limited celebrations, no finger pointing, and they just go back to the huddle. Stoic coaches who hide their emotions on the sidelines. They feed very little information to the other team. To me, this is part of what creates a winning culture.

Agreed. Happily, we'll start the season off with Glenn at the controls and experienced receivers for the most part (Green, Carter, Lewis, Giguere). And Glenn is familiar with both Lewis and Stafford from his time on other teams, which should help chemistry. Having Chap instead of Bolduc to coach up the receivers is a big upgrade to me. We haven't had a receivers coach of this caliber since Marcus Brady was the guy in 2011. Since then, it's been an uninspiring parade of coaches: Carson Walch, Erik Campbell, Turk Schonert, Andre Bolduc.

FWIW Carson Walch back in the CFL as Eskimos receivers coach.

Disciplines OC abilities are again open for review. I spent moments attempting to understand them all but, I could pick up this in general terms. The notion of increasing the space between the receiver and, the covering DB's is possible now with Glen doing the passing. Carter and Cunningham going long, especially with our other receivers going post and flat, looks good with our newer receivers. Discipline's notion that for Giguere, not a speedster, to be effective, Glen would/could hit him in the numbers is real. We've all seen that last season. He can push off a DB, catch a short pass then, using his strength, push and push for a first down. Another model, especially in the red zone is to select a receiver, whom the defense perceive as an unlikely candidate for the task, is a great play. An example of this often happens when an OT is the receiver. With respect to picks and runs Discipline suggests stacking the receivers as an option. With the way our refs called back PI's last season, we might keep the picks and rubs legal. Too many of these TD throws were indeed called back.
Great post DP !!!

You've got it exactly, Niagara, especially with Giguere. If he's going to be on this team, let's find ways to use him optimally, not expect him to be somebody he's not (and never will be, given his age).

Another model, especially in the red zone is to select a receiver, whom the defense perceive as an unlikely candidate for the task, is a great play. An example of this often happens when an OT is the receiver.
Agreed, and I think we can do good things with double TE sets featuring Giguere and some of the bigger RB / receiver bodies in different formations.
With respect to picks and runs Discipline suggests stacking the receivers as an option. With the way our refs called back PI's last season, we might keep the picks and rubs legal. Too many of these TD throws were indeed called back.
That's very true. It's a fine line between a pick and a flag and we might occasionally draw the latter. But I look at the cadre of physically imposing receivers we have -- Carter, Green, Lewis, Hoffman, Cunningham, Giguere -- and I can't help but feel that we have possibilities when it comes to using one big body to create separation for another.

If there is one thing that will make an impact is the ability early in the season (first 3 games) to be able to execute long completions. If Calvillo can accomplish this it will open up thing huge for the Als offense. Last year teams were willing to concede that real estate because they knew the Als didn't have any wheels or sync to hurt them.

Not just wheels or sync. Apart from Cato, nobody could hit the broad side of a barn with those deep balls. The looks will always be there to go deep, but if you can't complete a few of those plays to back the defense off, they'll just sit in man press at the line and jump all your underneath routes. Carter will help, but the bigger addition will be Glenn and Cato as the guys who can make teams pay for playing receivers too close.

Also with Schonert's garbage playbook going deep, like everything else, was a Herculean struggle. I don't know how 2016 is going to turn out, but I am confident that we'll have a better playbook and a better sense of when to call for the deep ball, which should help us stretch the field.

Évidemment, tout dépendra qui sera aux commandes de l'attaque. En supposant que ce sera Glenn, on peut penser qu'avec Calvillo et Chapdelaine, l'attaque va ressembler à une attaque de la LCF.

Ne serait-ce qu'en cumulant seulement 80 verges de plus par partie par la voie des airs (ce qui ne devrait pas trop poser de problème), les Alouettes seront davantage un casse-tête pour leurs adversaires. C'est d'autant plus pensable de penser avoir un certain succès avec la longue passe avec Green, Carter et Stafford/Cunningham au sein de l'alignement.

Ce que j'aimerais également voir, c'est plus d'efficacité dans les zones intermédiaires (12-16 verges). Ceci permettrait de convertir davantage de 2ièmes et long et faire une différence dans les matchs serrés.

Missed this comment somehow. Very good point. Success in the intermediate game is something we have to work on. Giguere on comebacks, Green on sluggos, and Carter or Cunningham on in/digs would all be effective IMO. Working receivers out of stacks or bunch formations should help spring someone for an intermediate catch: trio of post/corner/dig routes to let receivers pick DBs and force them to bubble across the field to get to their coverage matchup.