Play Calling

Nothing to get worked up about. Strictly a roster manipulation move so that their salaries don’t count against the salary cap until they are ready to play. As noted, they can be removed from the six-game injury list at any time, with Gable more likely to return earlier than Fantuz.

I thought that there was a limit to the number of times you could take players off the 6-game. And that their entire salary (while on the 6-game) applies to the cap…

I thought that there was a limit to the number of times you could take players off the 6-game. And that their entire salary (while on the 6-game) applies to the cap…
[/quote]
I believe teams have the option of removing a maximum of two players (per season) early from the six game list but their salaries would count against the cap. Teams are also permitted to keep players on the list beyond the six games in which case their salaries do not count against the cap.
This is from the best of all sources… Wikipedia :slight_smile:

The Ticats have 15 players on the 6 game, they will get full pay and it doesn't count against the cap.
The salary cap only applies to the 42 man roster and the 1 game injured. If teams can afford it they can put healthy players on the six game.
Ottawa put kicker Ronnie Pfeffer on the 6 game even though he's not injured. They would rather pay him and have him on the 6 game rather than release him or put him on the practice roster and he gets picked up by the Argos.

There’s no limit to how many you can pull off early from the 6-game. But as stated, their salary retroactively counts against the cap. Details can be found here. https://media.cfldb.ca/documents/cfl-cf … t-2014.pdf Page’s 43 & 44.

The CBA in general is an interesting read. Wanna know how many shoes each player gets? Travel per diems? Relocation costs? It’s all in there.

The rule was changed to allow any number of players to be brought back. In that case, their salary back to when they were added to the six-game list. But two players can be brought back without penalty if they’ve been on the list for more than six games, which would be the case for both Gable and Fantuz. So if their salaries are excluded from the salary cap as long as they don’t play, and if they are reactivated, only their salaries from that game on are included.

We have a number of players with season-ending injuries, but I haven’t seen any reference to this list. Anyone know what benefit there would be for a team to use this list instead of the six game injury list?

@cfio - I believe the NFL has a "Physically Unable to Perform" or "PUP" list. I don't know what the ramifications are, but it may be something that the League should look at.