Place Your Bets! Who will Be New Coach?

Homer Simpson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEjI7_BKU9s

I would like to see Glen Constatine from Laval. Every year he puts out a great team and is a motovator which our team desperately needs.

I’m not sure he’d take the job. The following is from the Globe and Mail,

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/laval-mcmaster-ready-to-renew-acquaintances/article2245633/]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/f ... le2245633/[/url]
Despite his success, Constantin has no desire to seek a CFL job.

“I respect the CFL, but it’s a different business,? Constantin said. “In the CFL, you have a salary cap, one first-round pick. Here, if you recruit properly, you can have 10 and you can control more stuff. I’ve seen great coaches, such as coach Greg Marshall from Western (a former Hamilton Tiger-Cats coach) go from being the coach of the year one year to being out the next.

“I have a great program. I control pretty well all aspects of my program, and in the CFL, you don’t always control everything. You’re on the hot seat, and I’m looking for continuity.?

Me?.. I’ll take the job!

8) You're right that Marshall was getting paid $220,000 per season. That had to be close to the lowest salary for any
  CFL  HC.    A toss up between Marshall, Marcel and LaPolice for that amount !!!

If Marshall were to accept another coaching job before his owed 2 years salary, then the Riders would reach a mutual
   agreement with him as to how much he would get.  More than likely, they would pay him off 1 full years salary, in a 
    lump sum amount, and get him off their books for good !!!    <!-- s:oops: -->:oops:<!-- s:oops: -->

Indeed, Greg Marshall does have 2 years left on his contract with Saskatchewan. I'm sticking with my prediction that Marshall will apply for the HC job in the new Ottawa franchise when it becomes ready to hire its coaching staff. That would just be at around the time when Marshall's contract with Saskatchewan expires, which would be perfect for him (milk Saskatchewan for all of the money they owe him!). 8)
Even though I agree that George Cortez would be the best of all of the candidates with prior CFL experience and/or extensive knowledge of the Canadian game, I do agree that it would be very difficult to pry him away from the lucrative contracts that are offered in the NFL. It's unfortunate, but the CFL simply cannot compete with the NFL in terms of attracting talented people. This leaves the list of candidates with Canadian experience and/or knowledge very slim. Even though I voted for Cortez in this thread, I can see Obie settling on Tim Burke. Once this is completed and resolved, it will be very interesting to see who the new coordinators will be. I really do believe that Khari Jones will look to move to Winnipeg to replace Barresi as OC there. Jones seems to be more at home in Winnipeg. His heart seems to be more with that team than Hamilton. It would be an even easier decision for Jones if Kevin Glenn is stripped of his #1 QB status or is traded away.
I tend to believe what I've been reading about Dave Dickenson and how is wife has been reported as not having any interest in moving away from Calgary due to her successful business being in Calgary. That would make it difficult for Dickenson to accept an offer from Hamilton, so I really don't see that happening.
If there's anyone from the US or Canadian University ranks that we've all overlooked, I'd love to hear about it! :cowboy:

[quote="ProgRockFan"]
I tend to believe what I've been reading about Dave Dickenson and how is wife has been reported as not having any interest in moving away from Calgary due to her successful business being in Calgary. That would make it difficult for Dickenson to accept an offer from Hamilton, so I really don't see that happening.

8) Sounds exactly like another Jason Maas's wife there !!! :roll:

How about Casey Printers?

Former CFL QB and motivational speaker/life coach? :wink:

http://www.caseyprintersinc.com/programs.php

Rob Ryan. I hear he wants a HC job and is being overlooked down south.

I wonder if it's possible that Obie isn't satisfied with the candidates he's interviewed to the point where he himself would take on the role of HC? Remember, we have Womack on board, and he could take over the GM duties.

Danny Barrett?

I'd say Burke, because Obie would probably not at all mind poaching Winnipeg's DC, and because Hamilton's last few HCs have been offensive guys. Maybe it's time to look at a DC for the position.

I have searched and not found any information about Dickenson not wanting to take a head coaching job because his wife says no.
Is there any link to this?
Why would Dickenson come for interviews with Sask. and us if he had no intentions of accepting a head coaching job in the 2nd best professional football league only behind the NFL?
If anyone can find a source for this please post it.
I would be happy with any of Burke, Dickenson or Cortez, but I feel O’shea has a little more seasoning to do as a D/C first.

I like that suggestion. :thup:

No, his HC record was too much like Bellefeuille’s (9-9,9-9,etc etc) and he couldnt take a talented team past the Division playoffs. We dont need another mediocre coach.

They said the same thing about Greg Marshall a few years ago, we signed him as the most successful CIS coach and he lasted one and a half seasons? Then it was Michel Belefuile, who was also a very successful CIS coach. So a successful NCAA coach would probably make more sense, the CIS experience thing isn’t working.

Funny Marshall took a 1-17 team to 9-9 and that's the best Bellefeuille was able to do with a talent ladden team for 3 years. You guys have to let that go...

Halfthedistance wrote:

"Me?.... I'll take the job!"

You best think about this long and hard, Half.

OK, you asked for it!!!

Alright, Bob, when's his interview???

Half, can I be your agent ?

Well given the success of Jim and John Harbaugh this season, maybe see if you can complete the tri-fecta and hire Joani Harbaugh? :smiley:

On a more serious note, I’d be down for giving Greg Marshall (our old DC, not 2004-2006 HC) a second chance if he’s interested. Our defense was better suited towards his schemes then Chamblin’s. Even more so, since our weak spot on defense is our DBs and a high risk defense doesn’t work out well with weak DBs, and I would like to think Marshall’s stint in Saskatchewan taught him to be a bit more calm and reserved, but still bring a “put your nose to the grindstone” kind of attitude and emotion that the team needs to become consistent.

If you are considering looking in house, Brad Miller would be my choice. Khari Jones’ hasn’t found the way to snap the team out of games where the offense stinks it up or an answer to Winnipeg’s defense. I can’t really judge Worman’s coaching abilities based off one season with an established RB in Avon Cobourne and a thunderbolt like Marcus Thigpen so I’d be hesitant to go with him.