Pivotal Decisions: Plight of the Canadian QB video series.

I just found this video series on The Score website about (the lack of) Canadian QBs in the CFL.

[url=http://video.thescore.com/watch/pivotal-decisions-the-plight-of-the-canadian-qb-part-1]http://video.thescore.com/watch/pivotal ... -qb-part-1[/url] [url=http://video.thescore.com/watch/pivotal-decisions-the-plight-of-the-canadian-qb-part-2]http://video.thescore.com/watch/pivotal ... -qb-part-2[/url] [url=http://video.thescore.com/watch/pivotal-decisions-the-plight-of-the-canadian-qb-part-3]http://video.thescore.com/watch/pivotal ... -qb-part-3[/url]

Very cool, thanks for posting :thup:

Great video! Thanks, PiCat!

Football is a big deal here in america...As we speak my 4th grade nephew is stretching for football in my living room and I wonder how many canadian kids at this age are doing that?

lots of kids play minor football in Canada

I enjoy Coaching and Kids coming up will be much better and we should have a Canadian Starting at QB in next 10 years IMO

The CANANIAN COLLEGE FOOTBALL system will keep alot of canadian kids off the roster…I will say if your a decent Canadian kid try to make it in the NCAA atleat division 1 or bowl sub division because you will face better players than the CIS will ever produce.Good example TEAM WORLD filled with CANADIAN college kids barely beat a team filled of USA high school kids…A CANADIAN high school allstart team on the other hand will not even have a shot against a team full of USA COLLEGE FRESHMAN football players…The CIS SYSTEM handicaps Canadian kids in this sport

The international bowl was made of players all 19 and under from both the USA team and the World Team, i watched the whole game the World team beat down the USA team for 3 and a half quarters.

cool video on the game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5rtAwPeOkc

I watched the whole game too, and that's pretty much what happened. To its credit the Team USA put up a mighty comeback effort only to fall short in the end.

I think the losing side was out-coached more than anything else. The World teams QB and main RB had outstanding games, with a strong supporting cast.

Hey Sandusky? Are you really American, or are you one of those loser Canadians that is from Ontario who now resides in the 3rd world dump called America and now pretends to be nothing but an American?

This is a good series but also infuriating on some levels. In my opinion I heard a lot of the same simplistic views we always hear from the CFL on this issue. The talk about how US players have an advantage is training might be true but is REALLY exaggerated.

Andrew Harris played junior football and can compete with any American running back in this league, Andy Fantuz played CIS football and is widely regarded as a top 10, maybe top 5 receiver in the league. It seems to me the "lack of training" hasn't hurt these guys to get to the level they're at and they've proven to be just as good as their American peers. So why can't this happen with a Quarterback? Just saying Canadians don't get the right training is a lazy answer.

The more important question should be, if there is a Canadian player who could excel at the Quarterback position, would he get a chance to? The answer is likely no because of ratio issues and dinosaur mentalities. Why is that Canada can produce (admittedly a small amount) world class baseball players, world class basketball players, and yet we can't even produce a single QB in a game we invented and we're the only ones in the planet who play?

It's the system that needs fixing. If we can produce 2 players who can get drafted in the 1st round of the NBA draft (4th and 29th overall) don't tell me we can't produce quarterbacks because that's garbage.

END OF MY RANT

Sweet game by the world team, or should I say team Canada. It appeared to me that 75% of that team was Canadian. The Americans must have been devastated. This game wasn't even on my radar WTF!!

Good post. Nice to see all the Canuck players have big games.

by Stampeder67 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:01 am
Sweet game by the world team, or should I say team Canada. It appeared to me that 75% of that team was Canadian. The Americans must have been devastated. This game wasn't even on my radar WTF!!

I know i would have never knew about it either, I follow football canada on twitter and they posted a link to watch it. I was kinda disappointed that TSN, Sportsnet, The score or anybody in the media covered it, not even a mention....not that i saw anyways. I thought it was a big enough deal to cover on sportscentre but apparently not

I think they should hold the next one in Canada and use Canadian rules. I guarantee a bigger crowd than they got in Texas.

That's an idea...

Coach of the year W.B. and the old boys club? are automaticly writing off CIS trained qb,s because they are trianed in CIS, this under general population labour laws is certainly discrimination. :oops:

Giulio Caravatta made a very accurate comment about CIS qb,s not getting the same op to develope as ncaa guys. regardless of NATURAL talent!

Time for heads to roll and new attitudes brought in!! IMHO

by rpaege » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:07 am
I think they should hold the next one in Canada and use Canadian rules. I guarantee a bigger crowd than they got in Texas.

Ya wasn’t a big crowd at all in Texas. Thats a great idea about the Canadian rules maybe switch back and forth each year between Canadian and American rules but i highly doubt it will happen think it will always be American rules…just a hunch

New attitudes? Like stop blaming the non-import rules and "bias" against CIS, and start blaming the lack of resources being put into development? Proportionally speaking, fewer Canadians play football than Americans, the ones that do play start later than Americans, and don't train at the same level.

I recognise that I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record here, but I don't understand why so many people put it on the CFL to make up for a weak effort on the part of the grassroots system, for all positions, not just QB. The line has always been "We don't have the same level of development as Americans, so we need special rules to protect the Canadians and give them a chance," but it should be "We don't have the same level of grassroots development as Americans, so we need more from the grassroots."

If we really want our players to be treated with the same level of respect as Americans, we need to start demanding the same from our players that the Americans demand of theirs. I fully believe that Canadians are capable of becoming starting QBs in the CFL, but if we keep making them wait until they make it to CFL before get some serious training, it's not going to happen.

Trying to frame this in terms of discrimination under labour laws is also ridiculous. If this really does violate labour laws, then every university is guilty of discrimination because they require PhDs for almost all of their fulltime professor positions, as is any employer who hires a canditade on the basis of their education level.