Pinball's logic vs. Taaffe's

This is a quote from the Sun regarding McMahon (pulled after 2 bad passes),

"I was hoping he was a little more ready than what it turns out at this point," Clemons said. "You can still say this amount of time isn't fair, but we really don't have time to wait around. We have to win football games now."

As Charlie continues to be patient with Maas and patient with losing (as were Marshall and Lancaster), the Argos, with 2 more wins than Hamilton and a so-called "nice guy, player's coach" are not.

Maas has not been very good so far, but he's still better then what MacMahon showed.

Seems to me that the Argos lost both games by not having their starter in! So if their 2nd or 3rd stringers had actually won a game, your point would be well taken!

Actually Maas and MacMahon look prety much the same to me. Deer in the headlights, can't throw failures

Their starter at the beginning of the season was Damon Allen....not Michael Bishop---he was number 2.
So --- I guess my point is well-taken now! :thup:

You are correct, Pinball gave his backups starts to prove one way or the other that they were better than the failing vet. One succeeded one did not. We have sone the same? Not in years

Pinball's learned to make the hard decisions be it pulling a QB (McMahon), benching a future HOFer (Damon) or calling out a player (Avery). I think he also realizes that the season can slip away from you really quickly if you get into a losing streak so he's willing to do whatever he thinks is necessary to win games. I wish Taafe had a little more sense of urgency to his decisions.

Oh yeas, I think Maas played better than McMahon...but so what? There's not much to choose between lousy and a little less lousy.

An Argo-Cat fan

Not really, we all know that Allen started the first game with the intent to prove to the coach that he still had it or not. I think Pinball wanted to start Bishop all along, but out of loyalty gave Allen a shot. So yes the 2nd stringer (in name only) took over. For the sake of argument I submit that Allen was intended to be 2nd string at best from training camp.

I think he also realizes that the season can slip away from you really quickly if you get into a losing streak so he's willing to do whatever he thinks is necessary to win games. I wish Taafe had a little more sense of urgency to his decisions.
Its not like Pinball decision won him the game. They still lost so what is the debate here?

I guess the difference is Pinball has started 3 QBs in 5 games and has won 2 of them.
We have not won and Taaffe will not risk starting someone else. Pinball sees losing as a desperate situation and is willing to pull out all stops to win.
He is turning into quite a head coach. He is showing that he has the "pinballs" to make the hard choices and Charlie hasn't shown that yet....not this year anyway.

I guess the difference is Pinball has started 3 QBs in 5 games and has won 2 of them.
Well, you would think you would examine the QB's. Pinball does have Allan (experienced), McMahon (NFL experience) and Butler who has been in the league for a bit. Were Taaffe doesnt quite have those options.

It's the old story though......you can lose with anybody!
We have nothing to lose...

My point was that Pinball seems to be more willing to make the proactive decisions that Taafe hasn't--so far. Taafe seems to be in the trolley tracks as far as QB is concerned. He won't deviate from Maas except when the game for all intents and purposes is out of reach. It's like he's waiting for the old Maas to re-appear but the old adage is "he who hesitates is lost".

Pinball also called out John Avery for his average play saying they needed more out of the RB position. Avery responded with a 100+ yard game. Why doesn't Taafe call out Maas for being less than productive? Maas just might respond positively.

A playoff spot is a possibility this season given how weak the East is. Why won't he try and shake his team up by inserting a new face like Chang into the lineup? Lose a couple more and this season is over. Given the improvements this team has made, it's only a QB away from winning a few games. What a waste.

An Argo-Cat fan

It's easy to pull a QB when you have Damon Allen on the bench.

Timmy Chang is many things, but a Damon Allen he is not.

I am sure glad people on this forum aren't coaches. How is Pinball pro-active when the results are pretty much the same?

You do not call out your starting QB through the media. Has Pinball done that since he appears to be the bar to aspire to.

Is he a Mike McMahon? Damon did not start so that McMahon could. Pinball was willing to take a chance and see what he had.
The fact is we don't know what Chang is yet....but we do know what Maas has done for us.
Again---what would we be risking? We haven't won with Maas starting (known fact).
I say try the unknown......I'm not advocating cutting Maas....just shake it up a bit.

what the hell good did putting that bum allen in. 1 td. He was useless.

Results are the same? Hardly. The Argos have won two (in a year when two wins might get you into the playoffs). Maybe you're right about calling out Maas though. He's probably too sensitive to respond to criticism from his coach unlike Avery who responded by running for the team's first 100 yard game in two years.

Look, all I'd like to see is for Taafe to change up a losing situation to see if a win might be possible. If it doesn't work, go back to Maas. At 0-4, what does he have to lose?

An Argo-Cat fan

I see what you're saying but I don't agree with that line of thinking for two reasons:

1) Allen is past his prime. Pinball witnessed his skills diminish last year. There is no more upside to Allen. Not anymore. Maas should be near or at his prime now. Furthermore, he's post surgery (which explains some of last year) and should improve on that basis alone.

2) Maas is heading up an entire new system, with an entire new set of coaches and virtually a new set of players. As much as some hate me to say say this, "The team needs time to gel". it's only been four games and improvement has been noted. There are 14 games to go still. The other teams in the east only have 2 wins. Absolutley no need to get desperate in this early stage of the season.

The Argos have an established veteran team and have had the luxury of continuity for several seasons which makes it much easier for a coach to evaluate players. Taafe is pre-occupied with sorting out many more unknowns and variables. Hence the chill pill. (I've taken one. It seems to be working)

Again, while Pinball has been coaching his Argo team for several seasons, Charlie's had only four measely games.

CaptainKirk "While Pinball has been coaching his Argo team for several season, Charlie's had only four measely games"

That hits the nail on the head. Most of the other opinions expressed in this thread are losing lottery tickets.