Picking a coach before a GM is a joke

How do you you build a credible football franchise when you go out before then end of the season... (with current coach still in place...) and infomally announace to the media that you've chosen your new HC for the following year...?

And on top of that, your GM is not in place... Normally if you want to get a good GM - that GM likes to pick his guy... A guy that the GM is likely to have already have worked with or a guy he knows he can work with...

The Glieberman's are not for real. They also don't respect Ottawa's football fans. To them this is just past time which they can play with...

Until this team addresses their personel in a professional manner - they won't get professionals.

Not only are we hearing rumors of Jenkins coming to Ottawa... We are hearing that the reasoning is due to the fact that Jenkins is chum of theirs... Let alone the fact that Jenkins got canned by Calgary - a team actually worst then the Gades in 04...

1st. Mistake. And another reason why the Gades will continue to be the CFL's perenial expansion team and joke of the league.

2nd. Not having a GM in place before the HC will mean that the Gades will get a "yes man" to ownership... And or... they will get a 2nd rate wannabee... like Forest Gump - with no credible ties to the NFL.... or College programs...

3rd. Nov-Dec-Jan will be the tell tale for this modern day Ottawa football franchise. If the ownership thinks that offering good pricing for their season tix will be enough... Or if they think thank brining in a BIG NAME NFL cast off will help them sell tix - they best be beware... They have managed to piss off a lot of current tix holders and have already bitten the hand that's been feeding them... And their team tenure is very very very young.

Bottom line - address your personel concerns in a methodical way... Do interviews,,, talk to people in the league... Find out what's out there... Don't just hire a guy cause you like him!!! Fuck be professional for christ sakes...

If they just go out and hire a guy cause they know him ...
I will pure and simple not go to a game next year and I encourage you all to do the same.

how do you know they won't announce a GM at the same time they announce the HC?

I'll still attend the games, because unlike others, i'll stand by my team through thick and thin.

Wow MM, sounds like you're not a real fan at all... I'm with Gades... it doesn't matter who's coaching, managing, playing... I'll still be at every game.... Real fans stick by their team. You obviously are not a real fan.... and encouraging other people to not go to the games?? What is up with that? You are free to voice your opinion, but telling people to not go to the games is just plain wrong.

I a fan, a season tix fan, I'm also a customer, customer is always right...

And hiring a HC w/o a GM is dumb.

Pretty much any regular poster on this Gades board do a better job then the current owership group.

hey, u have your opinion. we have often seen eye to eye on a lot of topics here, but i'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I'll give this ownership a full offseason and next season to prove themselves, if i don't like what i see, then i'll have to think hard about renewing for the next season. Who knows, maybe Jenkins will bring in a different system. And they might name the GM at the same time as the HC, maybe they are just keeping it under wraps for now and finalizing the details of it.

Right on, MM. I totally agree with all of your above assessment. We are customers and you have to question Lonie's and Forrest's competence. YOU NEVER HIRE A COACH BEFORE THE GM AND NEVER BEFORE YOUR OLD COACH IS GONE. This fundemental shit. I went through all this crap with the Rough Riders, thick and thin, and what did the CFL do ? They brought in Horn Chen and company. The CFL does not give a crap about Ottawa and bringing back Glieberman here is an insult to the Ottawa fans. They were able to find competent ownership for Montreal, Toronto and Hamilton, why could'nt they find a competent owner for Ottawa ? The best they could do was the Gliebermans ? C'mon !!!

Don't get me wrong Gades... I'm not giving up on the team...

I just feel that the way this season is ending and the way they have handled the firing of the HC in public to be pretty lame. IT's not a class way to releave your guy.

They should never have even mentioned Jenkins... IT's not something you do... The season isn't over...

And the due process... where the due process. I would like to hear about the candidates for HC... You don't just go out and pick a guy, you hire a guy, the best guy for the job. And to do that you have interviews, you talk to people...

I just don't think that by hiring somebody you know is enough...

And that's why I'm pissed off.

Look @ the Sens - Muck's didn't just hire Murray, he interviewed, he asked around.... Sure there was speculation about Murray but that was just because he was the kind of coach they needed to bring in...

I think the Lonie really thinks he has handle on things by hiring somebody he knows personally - and that's the 1st mistake...

There are some very good points to what you all say. I am a season ticket holder to. I will come to the games regardless of owner but I feel that since I buy the tickets I have the right to speak my peace about absurd coaching moves. Agreed that Paopao is a classy guy but he needs to leave and the team will be better for it. Jenkins isnt the best candidate however. He got fired in Calgary by Dunigan and didn't bring in one single guy this summer when we all knew that some reinforcements were needed. He was director of scouting at the time so that was his job ( every other team at least auditioned talent throughout the season). He did this for one of two reasons, 1) HE WANTED PAOPAO TO FAIL SO DIDNT BRING IN THE GUYS or 2) HE COULDNT FIND THE GUYS. Either way this doesn't bode well for us next year.
When I look at how the successful teams are run I see owners that you rarely ever see from a football personel standpoint, they have stable seasoned GM,s with CFL backgrounds, the coaches are all Canadian Footballl seasoned whether in the pros or from college and they are involved in their community. I dont see very many of these successful attributes here in Ottawa.
Even the Cincinati Bengals have now finally used this philosophy after a couple decades of screwing it up.
I know we have a core group of great players, Joeseph, Ranek, Hebert, Collier, Banks (Corey and Brad) and Armstead. We need to fill in around them and with the front office the way it is I am not sure it will get done. If Lonie truely wants success he needs to look at how others have been successful. It is true that History repeats itself.
I hope that I am wrong and this offseason will go along way to telling me what path the Gades are on. I will be there in my seat just hope I can finally cheer for a winner.
By the way I dont see that the Gades are having a Grey Cup party in Vancouver like the other teams. I know the cheerleaders are going but does anyone know if the Gades are having a party? I will be there for the entire week so if any other Gades fans are going let me kinow.

I think it was fairly obvious that the GM next year will be Forest Gregg! So I don't know what the issue is.

I know Jenkins had a weird history in terms of coaching (i.e. Even Dunnigan said he was eccentric!), but at least give him a shot! Everybody's being so negative before the beginning of next season!!! I'm going to support and cheer for this team until either one of us dies...well...yeah.... :slight_smile: