Pick only 1 American expansion franchise, and the reason why

How about the Windsor-Detroit 40s?

Northmen?

1 Like

Thatā€™s clever. LOL!

Best option would be #WinTroit ( no I donā€™t live near there); large population base, the MLS is looking to add a franchise & a CFL sized field would be very close to the standards of an MLS pitch. When the AAF was in existence, Eminem was in contact with they leagueā€™s ownership about bringing a team to the region. Imagine how much more valuable a#WinTroit franchise would be than one from an upstart league. Imagine the rivalries with Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa & Montreal.

In addition, the current major league sports :football: teams have performed abysmally. For the past 20 years, only the RedWings have a winning record & now they are horrible.

Is it any wonder MI U & MSU collegiate football :football: teams draw as well as they do. Since 2000 the Lions collective record has been 110-210! A WinTroit team which included former MI U & MSU talent( both programs recruit heavily in Quebec & Ontario) should draw well. Especially since regular season games are scheduled from Mid June through the first wkend of Nov. Much better weather for :football: than Feb & March when AAF & XFL weā€™re playing

You may have a point if their attendance was bad, but the Lions attendance hasnā€™t dipped below 60k in the last decade. They may be starved for a winner, but that doesnā€™t mean theyā€™re going to drop the Lions and support another team. The Detroit area isnā€™t exactly an economic power - so they surely wonā€™t be able to support yet another team among their already existing 4 professional teams.

2 Likes

Marshall Mathers would have to put up his own money into a pro football team like the CFL. It would cost him nothing to petition either the XFL 3.0 or the defunct AAF because both leagues are centralized ownership leagues.

Best option would be the Illitch Family that own the Red Wings and Tigers because they have prior experience operating sports team. But the economy in the city of Detroit has tanked. The state of Michiganā€™s recorded COVID-19 cases has risen. This suggestion is good idea, but would have to be implemented after the pandemic has passed

Yeah. The Lions are like the Leafs in the way fans support these teams no matter how bad they are.

2 Likes

the way it should be

Not if the owners donā€™t care enough to put a good or at least entertaining product on the field.

2 Likes

pretty much never a case of owners not caring enough, but rather their efforts not paying off and or fans disapproving of their efforts.

You can look at Wintroit as either Windsor/Detroit or Win/Detroit. With the terrible W-L records the Detroit region pro sports teams have had, having Win in the title should attract fans IMO.

1 Like

Donā€™t believe we will see any franchise expansion in any league till Covid is in the rear view mirror. Weā€™re talking a #Wintroit franchise, I have to get in all the auto related references I can

2 Likes

I thought it was great when the Jays won the WS. Fan support was amazing. It actually gave hope to smaller/mid market team fans that their team could win a WS in their future

In 1992 the BJs had the third highest payroll ā€¦ in 1993 they had the highest ā€¦ they ā€œboughtā€ those titles as much as any other team ever did.

1 Like

I think your close, Spokane would be a better fit.Stadium is there, major airport and close enough to Canada to get away with it.

1 Like

Interesting. Nice city with a lot of prerequisites. Have there been any potential ownership groups ever show up at any level of football?

It has to be Seattle to save the BC Lions to have border rivalry with. Spokane is too far east. it would be closer to Calgary than Vancouver is

You better go to Seattle first before touting them. Seahawks OWN that town and area. Go to a game there and experience it. Best sports environment Iā€™ve ever seen. Terrific fun.

2 Likes

The new NHL Kracken team will cut into the Seahawksā€™ market share. The XFLā€™s Dragons were getting a good number of fans in an NFL market. I think the CFL would too if there was a team to there to have a cross border rivalry. The Seahawks donā€™t have a regional rivalry with any other NFL team because they are located so far away from another NFL team.

I realize that CFL and NFL schedules overlap, but with creative scheduling or a two week early start of the CFL season, it could be manageable

1 Like

ā€¦lol, tell that to a 49ers or Rams fanā€¦tell them they should be sort of neutral about those seahawksā€¦

1 Like

That is still a distance to travel for one game in each teamā€™s stadium. The last great cross border rivalry game in the CFL was the '94 and '95 Grey Cup. The Canucks and the Kracken will have a tremendous cross border rivalry that will make money for both teams

1 Like