PGA Tour vs LIV Golf

^^^^^
Great read, tells it like it is

1 Like

It can’t afford to become the MAGA Tour in my opinion. Let’s not forget that although MAGA supporters are very loud and seem to be everywhere, they still only represent approximately 15% of the population. In doing the eye test, that is probably similar to the percentage who support those politics in this forum.

Arguably MAGA supporters have as much in common with the PGA Tour as they do with the Saudis. They both do not believe in free enterprise or fairness to workers, much less control over their bodies or jobs. Or unions. They both also think that everyone else should follow their views, not something I have seen the Saudis push.

I just don’t logically get any argument against the Saudis when the PGA Tour is just as bad or worse (but obviously doesn’t kill people), and countries such as Russia or China are far worse and kill way more people than SA yet no one bats an eye at the Olympics or the upcoming Qatar World Cup. Or the CFL for that matter, which is rife with Bell money which means Saudi money. How does anyone justify this inconsistent and hypocritical position?

I think many aren’t aware of it or the profligacy of Saudi money as @Paolo_X has pointed out. Once known, however, in my opinion it defies reason to continue to blindly be opposed to anything Saudi, which would logically mean being opposed to anything Russian, Chinese or Arabian. That means almost everything. That does not even take into account the fact that every country in the world has made mistakes and perpetrated human rights abuses on people, including Canada and the US. Those who are thinking that way might need a ladder to get out of the rabbit hole they are in. I am trying to lend you one for free.

3 Likes

Yes, I still remember that day Jean Cretien hilariously had that foreign journalist murdered for poking fun at his accent.

"Wall," Said Cretien, "I gas hee had it calming you know. Bot odders would say my Fronch is just as good." :grin:

To our knowledge Canada hasn’t murdered any journalists, but ask the indigenous and Japanese populations of Canada and the US if they would trade one dead journalist for all that they have suffered.

2 Likes

I don’t know where else to post this other than starting a new thread, but Russia is a country whose evil tentacles stretch into North America.

(Griner sentenced to nine years in prison by Russian judge Brittney Griner Russia prison sentence - TSN.ca)

Can we let them knock off some of those uppity Toronto journalists who keep mocking the CFL?

1 Like

And while we're at it, there's a big stone building in Ottawa that could use some depopulation.

2 Likes

The PGA reminds me of the NCAA in a lot of ways - Neither one got the memo that we are not living in 1995 anymore.

3 Likes

And of course he has entered into the fray because he's a political and financial opportunist and predator like we knew him long before, but no, just no, the Saudis have way more money and influence around the globe than Trump will ever have as much as he has gained and lost.

3 Likes

Only if they can take out also some of their hipsters and we can add some of ours down here too at that, but well, maybe I am getting off track there... :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

And Trump is way past his best before date and his time on this earth is limited compared to the staying power of the Saudis.

3 Likes

If Flump should expire tommorrow and leave a good chunk of his wealth to Melania I KNOW she'd say, "That'd Be Best." :grin:

3 Likes

:canada: Michael Gligic went -5 on his first round today Tied 5th for the lead,
Moved from 132 to 116 on Fed EX Cup ranking after the 1st round! :+1:
Top 125 are in

3 Likes

Funny moment from the tournament when one of the two comics known as "The Good Liars " trolls Phil Mickelson while he's teeing off . :rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah I heard that. LIV actually hires comedians to perform at the tournament. Don’t know if this guy is one of them.

2 Likes

He forgot he's also in New Jersey. It does not take much for a fight to start there in a crowd like that even at a golf course.

1 Like

The final PGA regular season came to an end
On to the FedEx Cup which is golfs playoffs

:canada: :golf:
to make the cut of 125 are
30 th - Conners
46th - Hughes
50th - Hadwin
60th - Pendrith
90th - Adam Svensson
123rd - Nick Taylor

• There is a lawsuit by some LIV players, if won could knock Nick Taylor out.

By making the top 125 they are exempt for 2023 which means they can play in all events they want next season

2 Likes

Close call for Nick Taylor. Saw that Rickie Fowler was at 125. Not sure but I don’t think the lawsuit will have any effect on this year’s playoffs. It won’t be determined for some time and the LIV players would need an immediate interim injunction in order to participate. That’s pretty hard to get, even if the players were determined to be in the right on a final basis. We’ll see.

1 Like

More on the lawsuit which I hadn’t been following.

My early take is that the injunction won’t be granted because any damages could be redressed financially later, although those damages would be impossible to quantify not knowing how the players who missed out on playing would have fared had they played. Maybe that is their best argument.

On a more permanent basis my take is that the PGA Tour is clearly on the wrong side of the law, treating its members as employees in trying to set the schedule for golf professionals who are independent contractors.

Also contained in the article is the usual PGA whining about how unfair it is that LIV has more money and that those who choose more money shouldn’t be allowed to play in their sacrosanct events where apparently money isn’t important. They also trot out the same standard misinformation about Saudi money and sportswashing, while not mentioning the 27 PGA sponsors with financial ties to the Saudis.

We should know tomorrow how this goes.

(PGA Tour files motion to keep three LIV golfers out of playoffs restricted-content)

1 Like

A difference that many, obviously not you, believe is that those 27 PGA sponsors are legit businesses whose involvement with the PGA is predicated on improving their bottom line ... with the money the Saudi tour is throwing around there is IMO no legitimate business model for LIV ... its purpose lies elsewhere (coincidence that they have played at Trump courses?) ... even a doubling of revenues as compared to the PGA wouldn't support the level of spending undertaken by LIV ... please do not take this as any endorsement of the PGA ... golf writ-large is an old-boys-network of privileged, mostly white, mostly male rich s.

1 Like