Penalty flags in the Super Bowl

It’s a fair comment, there’s more punt and kick returns so likely more of those too… To me it feels like the CFL calls DPI way too easily. But that’s just me.

Maybe so…both leagues call it way too easy against the teams I’m going for.

That is hilarious
Considering a penalty handed the game to the Rams

A bad call is a bad call and coming when it did I am amazed anyone would be cheering for it

2 Likes

A good team avg about 4 penalty per game
6 is league avg
A bad team avg about 8 penalty per game

So you would expect about 12 as a game avg (6+6 / 4+8)

1 Like

NFL does not count offsetting penalties in its totals - they just show as a note in the play by play.

CFL counts offsetting penalties as 2 penalties with the corresponding yardage included.

NFL doesn't count declined penalties in its totals - CFL does.

2 Likes

I just find where the rules are the same, the CFL simply calls it tighter to the actual rule. NFL allows more leniency.
Its right that in the CFL probably would have a lot more calls, but that is not necessarily an error its calling it closer to the rules. There are bad calls in any league or sport that get called, its part of the human element.

1 Like

That ‘10 games a week’ scenario is hard enough to imagine, unless… we expand to 20 teams by allowing smaller cities in Canada without stadiums to have ‘standing room only’ venues where ticket holders would have to bring their own chairs.

Even sub-par CFL officiating wouldn’t deter me from watching The Moose Jaw Screaming Rutters do battle with The Fort McMurray Get 'Er Dones live from the comfort of my portable bar stool!!! :partying_face:

4 Likes

The CFL could go into the broadcasting business themselves and cut TSN out as the middleman. I’d surely subscribe to their streaming service to watch that game, or say the Victoria Islanders vs Saskatoon Berry Pickers - followed by the Kelowna Sun Bathers vs the Windsor Auto Rusters.

2 Likes

Along the lines of SCTV… “The CFL is on the air!”

2 Likes

I would strongly recommend anyone to watch SuperBowl 3(1968), if you haven't yet seen it - available on Youtube. It's not only a great game but there isn't one pass interference penalty call in that game. Not even sure if that was an actual infraction back then lol. And both QBs calling their own plays and I don't even think Namath was the best player for the Jets in that Game. Johnny Unitis got into that game in the second half, torn arm muscle and all. If you like old school football where you only noticed the refs because they were getting plowed over by the players, it's a must see.

1 Like

Good to know. I read that Jim Kelly was one of the last NFL QB’s to call his own plays. In the CFL I don’t know who our last field general was. Could it have been Ron Lancaster? Or Doug Flutie?

That’s a good question. I would guess it was someone before the time the QBs had the voice receiver things in their helmets, where is would have been more difficult for coaches to get play calls directly to the QB without subbing players in and out. The signals would have been more generic and maybe only indicating formation, and the QB could decide more specifics.

1 Like

I had no clue and still don’t on this one, but anybody else want to know more about this establishment?

It sounds like perhaps it could be even the regular bar for members of the CFL Forum.

1 Like

Speaking of voice receiver things, here’s a picture of Quarterback ‘Tank Magurski’ seen here wearing the latest in 1930’s NFL portable wireless communication technology. His constant complaints about the extra fifty pounds that this device added to his leather helmet lead to the introduction of weight reducing helium filled balloons the following season. Coach Biff Bangington’s nifty invention was hailed as a yowza moment in American Football and put the little known Grand Forks Fighting Gonads at the leading edge of football innovation. Well done Gonads! :smiley: :+1:

3 Likes

That’s priceless! I wonder who’s previous idea of QBs having walkie talkies was shot down by someone suggesting that the QB wouldn’t know which coach was communicating because they would all be on the same frequency. :thinking:

2 Likes

Team manager Crusty Scrotum believed that Bangington’s helmet communication idea would cause mass interference until it was discovered that in Grand Forks there was only ONE radio in the whole city. So no further objections were raised.

2 Likes

Except for maybe picking up a Winnipeg station on a clear summer evening :upside_down_face: That could mess them up

2 Likes

Imagine how crazy quarterback ‘Tank Magurski’ must’ve sounded in the huddle when he tried to tell his offense that on this play they were going to ‘win a peg’.

2 Likes

He may have heard CBC among the noise, and having been to college kinda knew, this ain’t workin…

2 Likes

Yes. Thank gawd ‘Tank’ had that highly covetted basket weaving degree from Bismark U to fall back on in case his 1930’s two thousand dollar per year NFL career didn’t pan out. His advanced education allowed him to sniff out those commie CBC signals right from the beginning. Yet another triumph for the men of the Fighting Gonads! :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes