Penalties

We all know that the penalty situation for the TiCats has been bad and detrimental to the team's performance thus far this season. How bad though?

With the conclusion of this week's games, here are the numbers, adjusted for per game since BC & WPG have played 7 games while everyone else has played 6.

Penalties Per Game

HAM - 14.83
OTT - 13
EDM - 12.83
TOR - 12.33
MTL - 12
SSK - 11.33
CGY - 11.17
BC - 10.57
WPG - 9.29
Average - 11.93
HAM - 24.3% more penalties than average

Penalty Yards Per Game

HAM - 114.5
TOR - 112
OTT - 109.83
MTL - 109
EDM - 103.83
CGY - 103
SSK - 101.5
BC - 91.57
WPG - 83.29
Average - 103.17
HAM - 11% more penalty yardage than average

Hamilton Tiger Cat Players' Penalties

Breaux & Stewart = 6 each
Butler, Beswick, Reed = 5 each
Davis = 4
Laurent, Simmons, Grant, Gascon-Nadon, O'Neill = 3 each
Koch, Plesius, Wojt, Bulcke, Bowman, Murray, Filer, Gable, Olson, Madu = 2 each
16 with 1 penalty each. It appears by my count that Eric Norwood & Samuel Giguere are the only starters in all six game to have not registered a penalty.

This team is not good enough to win while stalling their own drives & extending their opponent's while racking up significant penalty yardage.

Bang on...and the actual yardage doesn't even capture the whole story. In the past two games, we got called for four penalties that wiped out 15-20 yard gains...so the penalty yardage might have been 30 yards, but we lost 60-70 on the gains...

And we've lost two gimme FG's (given Medlock this year) by being pushed back from the 30 to the 45...it all adds up!

Also as I mentioned on another thread, it's about the timing! How many of these close losses were caused by a drive being extended and turned into points.. all off of a penalty?!

I know for a fact that Breaux cost us the one game. If I recall correctly, Filer also made one such mistake and he hasn't even played that many games! I can't recall the third player off the top of my head.

I'm not trying to single these guys out and say "get 'em off the field". But I sure hope that those men know the full ramifications of those penalties and their effect on the standings. Enough of this crap boys. Some penalties make sense. Plenty more of them are just the results of poor or lazy execution. This team deserves a better record than 1-5 if not for a few of these.

Interesting that the top 4 teams for penalty yards per game are the four Eastern teams.

Yup - good, well disciplined football teams don't take as many bad penalties and right now the good football teams are all out west.

Turnover ratio is another telling stat in regards to preparedness, discipline and mistakes.

No surprise that the Tiger-Cats are near the bottom there.

A few of our turnovers were from unsuccessful 3rd down plays at the end of the game.

Further ...

Hamilton's number of penalties per game are up 41.23% from this point last season to now. 10.5 per game during the first six games of 2013 up to 14.83 per game for the first six games this season. That's a little more than one more penalty per quarter this year versus last year!

Penalty yardage per game for the TiCats is up 24% year over year. 92.33 yards per game through six games in 2013 & now rests at 114.5 per game.

Now, penalties and yardage are up across the league. Here are the numbers;

Penalties per team, per game are up 29.48% from this point last season to this season. (9.16 p/g/t in 2013 to 11.86 in 2014)

Penalty yardage per team, per game is up 26.23% from this point last season to this season. (81.29 py/g/t in 2013 to 102.61 in 2014)

Only 1 of Hamilton's turnovers were on downs. 7 interceptions & 6 fumbles lost & 1 turnover on downs for a total of 14.

Meanwhile, Hamilton's opponents have given up the ball to Hamilton a total of 13 times - 5 interceptions, 6 fumbles lost and 2 turnovers on downs.

So Hamilton is a -1 in the turnover ratio when counting turnover on downs. Or -2 without counting failed 3 down conversions.

Total turnover rankings thus far this season are the following;

SSK = +9
CGY = +9
EDM = +5
HAM = -1
BC = -3
MTL = -3
OTT = -4
TOR = -5
WPG = -7

Well one fumbles lost was Fantuz attempting to boot the ball forward on the last play while being tackled against CAL I believe,
Was LeFevour getting stopped at the 1 yrd line by EDM as time expired considered a turnover?

There was a turnover on the last play of the game versus Edmonton. But it wasn't a turnover on downs. It was a fumble by LeFevour on the 1 yard line that was recovered by Marcus Howard.

As far as the Fantuz play in Calgary, that was classified as a completed pass to Fantuz for 6 yards, fumble by Fantuz, recovered fumble by Maalik Bomar.

Thanks for clarifying FG69
My recollection was in the EDM game Lefevour was trying a last ditch lateral as he was going down at the 1 with no time left on the clock.
The CAL game was a completed pass to Fantuz as he was being tackled, he was trying to kick the ball to advance it down the field and hope for a miracle with no time remaining on the clock, he missed the kick as he was being pulled down and CAL recovered to end the game
So I would say 2 of those turnovers sort of shouldn't count although they do if that makes any sense at all.
http://content.forum.canucks.com/public/style_emoticons/default/2utgv3d.gif

Ticats by the numbers (and they’re pretty ugly)

By Drew Edwards

[b]The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have now played exactly one-third of their 18-game CFL schedule, registering just one win in those six games. Here's a look at some of the numbers that tell the story behind the slow start.

1. Penalties

Much of the recent focus has been on penalties, and the Ticats lead the league in both the number (14.8 ) as well as the yardage (114.5) per game. It's worth noting that the number of penalties are up across the league this season by a whopping 29 per cent over 2013.

Hamilton leads the league with 30 offensive penalties, and defensive flags with 37. Special teams units, however, are seventh in the league with just 22 calls against. The team leads the CFL in a number of penalty categories including procedure (28 calls this season), offensive holding (13), unnecessary roughness (12), defensive pass interference (7) and no yards (8).

So who are the worst offenders? Defensive backs Delvin Breaux and Brandon Stewart lead the team with six calls against them, followed by safety Craig Butler, special teamer Marc Beswick, linebacker Taylor Reed (five each), defensive back Emmanuel Davis (four), defensive tackle Ted Laurent, offensive lineman Tim O'Neill and Brian Simmons, receiver Bakari Grant, defensive lineman Arnaud Gason-Nadon (three each.)

1. Inexperience

One of the possible explanations for the Ticats' inability to follow the rule book – and their penchant in losing close games – is their relative inexperience. While the average age of players on CFL rosters this season is 27.3 years, the Ticats are the youngest team in the CFL with an average age of just 26.5 – that's younger than even expansion Ottawa, who clock in at 26.9 years.

The Ticats also have a higher percentage of first-year players on their roster – 28.9 per cent – than the CFL average of 27.7 per cent. So Hamilton is both younger and less experienced.

1. Offensive struggles

On offence, the team has struggled in a number of key categories. They are last in the league in time of possession, holding the ball for an average of 27:21 (winning teams have posted 31:19 mark so far this season). They've generated only 98 first downs, second worst mark in the league, and their 45 two-and-outs is also eighth in the CFL.

There are a number of interlocking issues that help explain those struggles. First, they've allowed 23 sacks on the season – the second worst mark in the league – but they are first in sacks allowed per drop back, allowing a takedown every 9.8 times the quarterback goes to pass. They've also allowed a league-high 10 sacks on first down.

The Ticats pass the ball 71 per cent of the time on first down, second only to Toronto. As a result, they generate an average gain of 6.8 yards on first down, the third highest mark in the league. But on second down, they net a league low 4.4 yards, achieving first downs just 33.9 per cent of the time. By contrast, second down conversion rates for winning teams this season sits at 44 per cent.

It gets even worse in second-and-long situations. Hamilton has converted just 14 times when facing second and seven or more, a CFL-worst 20-per-cent success rate. By comparison, B.C. Lions converted six second-and-longs into first downs in the fourth quarter of Friday night's win over Hamilton.

1. Defensive struggles

On defence, the Ticats are sixth in points against at 24.2 and are giving up an average of 279 yards per game through the air (second worst) and have surrendered 133 first downs, a league high. Opponents are converting on second down 44 per cent of the time (again, second worst.)

1. Bad luck

Despite those damning numbers, the Ticats have also been unlucky. The team has lost four games by seven points or less while no other team in the league has lost more than one. Hamilton has lost two games while winning the turnover battle, something that's happened just five times in 2014.

In other words, the Ticats are responsible for their own situation ... but they likely deserve a little bit better, too.[/b]

penalties has hurt the ticats, but there was one penalty that shouldn't have been called. The BC game where the ref called "offside Ticats #21" when it was really offside #18, #21 argues and rightfully so and in addition to the offsided the ticats get penalized for an objectional conduct penalty of 15 yards, which ultimately led to BC's winning touch down. Penalties have been a problem, but the officials need to carry some of the blame.

Lawrence got the objectionable conduct penalty complaining about a roughing the passer penalty, not an offside. I think it was a weak penalty, but Lawrence was told to back away. He did after a second or two, but continued to complain. Had he just stopped complaining at that point, he wouldn't have gotten the penalty.

you're right that it was a cheap roughing the passer, but the wrong # was called by the official and Lawrence was trying to say that it wasn't him (because it wasn't). The call was correct, but the wrong jersey # was called, which caused the arguing from Lawrence and adding a 15 yard penalty instigated by the official. This is where I think the officials should have gotten together to make the right call. There wouldn't have been any argument from Lawrence if his jersey # wasn't incorrectly called.

Thought I heard from Chris Schultz on the panel Tuesday night say the at the TiCats have been penalized 10% of the time on 1st down plays, thus putting them in 2nd & long.

Anyone else hear this? I'm not 100% on what I thought I heard & wasn't taping it thus can't rewind.

I was watching on my computer with the sound off while watching TV, so I didn’t hear what he said. I wouldn’t be surprised by that number of penalties, though.

But wouldn’t that put them at 1st and long?

I just watched the play again on my PVR, and the referee announced the penalty correctly as "Major foul - roughing the passer, Hamilton #95". That's when Lawrence started to complain, saying that (I think you're right) he hit the running back. Not sure why he thought that was relevant. Perhaps he stopped listening when he heard it was RTP and figured that the call was against him.

I have also changed my mind on the penalty being weak after watching it again. True, the hit was not that late. But the ball was clearly out of Glenn's hand as Bulcke made his turn towards him. He could easily have continued straight past Glenn without touching him.