Pedersen: CFL/Stamps should use The Rock in promos

scribe Rod Pedersen wants The Rock (who previously dissed the CFL) as part of CFL promos...

[b]

"If the CFL was smart - and the Stampeders too - they'd get The Rock featured in a campaign video promoting the league on both sides of the border. Dwayne Johnson was a Calgary Stampeder for a brief time in the 1990s.

Great idea right? You can have it, no charge."

[/b]

The Rock disses the CFL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqFNv9kVm5s

Meh on the "dis". Wrestlers' rants are all scripted by Jim McMahon. I've heard the Rock say a lot of great things about the league and the team.

Great idea by Peterson, if the Stamps and CFL cam afford him. Rock commands a pretty good appearance fee these days.

Jim McMahon was quite a character but I don't think he has written anything for wrestling. :slight_smile: Now, Vince McMahon has people writing for him, but he has final approval over what goes on the air.

Speaking of Jim McMahon, here's his finest moment 1980 Holiday Bowl (start watching at 2:33:00)

when has The Rock praised the CFL?

and why would Vince McMahon authorize a script aimed at dissing the CFL where the league is essentially an unknown entity, especially given that the Monday Night Raw episode in question was taped in Miami, Florida at the time.

Not certain if The Rock still carries a chip for being cut but methinks that particular bit against the CFL was improvised and if not intentionally derisive, it was at least a turning point for how far he has come since then.

I think the Rock was putting himself down first then the league .

In interviews he did say it was dirty old mattress he was laying on he purchased during his stay and is a good turning point for him . It was a low point in his life and knew he wasn't good enough .

He also was a sunshine boy for the Sun .

It was definitely a slight to the CFL with that suck speech but he was pandering at the time to a NFL city audience .

I would give him a pass as WWF is fake and hyped by showmanship .

As a former part time Ontario indy wrestler, I know his uncle, and they acknowledge that getting cut in the CFL was actually his big break. Having said that...

I know it was just a comedic script thing, but the Rock once said during a wrestling promo, and I'm paraphrasing here, "I sucked so bad at football, I couldn't even make the Canadian League".

Maybe not what the league actually needs.

Why not ? It worked so well for the XFL :roll: :roll: :roll:

Really, if Rod Pedersen thinks that some action / adventure actor is what is needed to promote the CFL, he needs to comment about other things, like high school field hockey.

Dwane Johnson tried out for the Stamps in 93 or 94 and failed.
How does that make him a credible voice?

current WWE champion, Roman Reigns, played a year with the Eskimos in '07. He went by his real name, Joe Anoa?i.

A much better choice for such a commercial than the Rock, who didn't play any regular season game in the league.

Either way, I don't like the idea, and the only reason Peterson has this idea is because he must have recently found out that the rock had a cup of tea with the Stamps, and he thinks no one else knows but him and he's so smart for knowing this..., :roll:

Go with Drake, he seems to be the cool dude these days for the Raptors and I guess basketball is the coolest sport these days with the younger generation, I don't know.

I bet he would see himself as being too big to promote the CFL.

And The Rock isn't??? Every year it is unsure whether he will appear at WrestleMania because it seems like he is always busy filming a movie. And that is with Vince will paying him decent coin. I doubt if the CFL can compensate The Rock enough to make it worth his time.

And The Rock isn't??? Every year it is unsure whether he will appear at WrestleMania because it seems like he is always busy filming a movie. And that is with Vince paying him decent coin. I doubt if the CFL can compensate The Rock enough to make it worth his time.

As much as I don't like the guy, I don't think this is a bad idea. Look what he's done with the Raptors.

I could certainly see that!

The Weeknd is no slouch these days in the popular music scene with 2 Grammys and a bit of a CFL connection with one of his managers. Not sure if he is a CFL fan or not, don't know:

Meet The Weeknd's Managers: Amir 'Cash' Esmailian and Tony Sal on Breaking Through, Top Influences and More

Cash: "My first paid job was making CFL cards in the basement. CFL is the Canadian football League. My older brother's friend, his dad owned the cards. They were called Jogo. I was in the basement putting all the sets together so I could make some money for the holidays. I was 12. It was actually really cool."
[url=http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6753965/weeknd-managers-amir-cash-esmailian-tony-sal-interview]http://www.billboard.com/articles/busin ... -interview[/url]

Has outsold Drake recently I see:

Below are the best-selling albums of 2015, tracking from Dec. 29, 2014 through Dec. 31, 2015.
  1. Adele, 25 - 8,008,000
  2. Taylor Swift, 1989 - 3,105,000
  3. Justin Bieber, Purpose - 2,225,000
  4. Ed Sheeran, X - 2,206,000
  5. The Weeknd, Beauty Behind the Madness - 2,045,000
  6. Drake, If You're Reading This It's Too Late - 1,919,000
  7. Meghan Trainor, Title - 1,795,000
  8. Sam Smith, In the Lonely Hour - 1,741,000
  9. Sam Hunt, Montevallo - 1,378,000
  10. Fetty Wap, Fetty Wap - 1,295,000
[url=http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/the-weeknd-drake-and-fetty-wap-crack-top-10-best-selling-albums-of-2015-news.19509.html]http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/the-weeknd- ... 19509.html[/url]

With all due respect Rod Pederson doesn't have a clue outside of the Riders (or he says stupid things on purpose to get a reaction and hits on his blog). The Rock would never do this, and the CFL would have no reason to approach him to do it either. It's just not a good idea all around.

One problem with The Weeknd is he seems to have an aversion to the press. Which, BTW, I can understand.

http://earth-fed.rssing.com/chan-1388621/all_p605.html

Good piece here from Rolling Stone and discusses Drake:

Drake gave Tesfaye a big boost when he featured the Weeknd on his double-platinum 2011 album, Take Care. But for Tesfaye, being under the wing of his fellow Torontonian was a mixed blessing: A handful of songs he'd written for House of Balloons ended up on Take Care. As Tesfaye said in a 2013 interview, "I was hungry....I was like, 'Dude, take anything.'" Today, he says he has nothing but gratitude for Drake, whom he calls "my closest friend in the industry at that time." Still, he says, "I gave up almost half of my album. It's hard. I will always be thankful — if it wasn't for the light he shined on me, who knows where I'd be. And everything happens for a reason." That said: "You never know what I would say if this success wasn't in front of me now."
... [url=http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/sex-drugs-and-r-b-inside-the-weeknds-dark-twisted-fantasy-20151021]http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... y-20151021[/url]

how about they use someone who is actually starring in the league right now.

either that, or a past CFL STAR.

It's worth noting that in the days when The Rock was huge in WWE, the script wasn't as ridgid as it is today. Top guys like him and Stone Cold had more of a direction given and would improvise lines a fair bit, so it's unlikely McMahon or someone working under him actually wrote the CFL stuff word for word. We're also talking about an actor, here.

(They're stricter about writing full lines and reciting them today, to the detriment of the product IMO.)

The Rock was on Ellen and spoke of his two month stint with the CFL . He arrived home with 7 dollars in his pocket
and changed his life . It was announced that he was People's sexiest man alive .

Nice that the CFL gotta a little exposure with Dwayne's story .

"some action/adventure actor"? You mean the current highest paid actor in Hollywood? The number one box office draw? Yeah, it would be great to have him onboard in some capacity.