Paul LaPolice to Ottawa?

With Paul LaPolice not heading to Montreal (still could end up there) or Edmonton. Will the recently fired Head Coach sit out a year, work for TSN and go after the job in Ottawa? Maybe. He would be a good fit. We shall see.

LaPolice could be a possible choice; then again Marcel Bellefeuille could be Ottawa's choice also.

i can see Bellefeuille getting the Montreal job. But if not. Yes. Agreed

Can I ask how long you have been following the CFL ? There is no way Bellefeuille will end up in Montreal.

I would agree. I think after striking gold in an outside the box pick in Trestman that MTL goes in that same direction with a newbie to the CFL and avoid guys like Maccioca, LaPo, and Bellefeuille.

Lapo could go to Ottawa maybe as Offensive coordinator along with the title of asst head coach. Marcel B. As head coach being the front man. The Ottawa Native and former Gee Gee HC as well as Bi lingulal will fit the Bill for the organizations plan to acquire what no other team in Ottawa has done before but that of the CFL team for the entire Ottawa - Gatineau region. All this coming on the heals of Montreal most likely not signing a Bi Lingual Coach as it has become somewhat of a story line with the French Press. Follow that up with putting all of Ottawa's games on RDS like Montreal = instant success off the field.
Just specualtion.... for now

Bilingual? what does that matter? and how do you know he's bilingual? It's like Desjardin, he was born and raised in Burlington and he's not bilingual but he has a French name.
It's just not important in Ottawa to have bilingual people in football or a bilingual name for the team or games broadcast on RDS.
Tressman was a popular succesful coach in Montreal, he wasn't bilingual and it didn't make one bit of difference. Hiring a bilingual coach makes NO sense in Montreal either, it's not going to attract any more fans.
French Canadians in Ottawa or Eastern Ontario or across the river in PQ will never support an Ottawa team in football or hockey.

Ottawa does have a fair size francophone community.

I dunno but it seems to be something that is talked about so I thought I throw it out there. No other reason.

Bilingual? what does that matter? and how do you know he’s bilingual? It’s like Desjardin, he was born and raised in Burlington and he’s not bilingual but he has a French name.
It’s just not important in Ottawa to have bilingual people in football or a bilingual name for the team or games broadcast on RDS.
Tressman was a popular succesful coach in Montreal, he wasn’t bilingual and it didn’t make one bit of difference. Hiring a bilingual coach makes NO sense in Montreal either, it’s not going to attract any more fans.
French Canadians in Ottawa or Eastern Ontario or across the river in PQ will never support an Ottawa team in football or hockey.
[/quote]
How do YOU know bilingualism however it’s manifested in an Ottawa team makes no difference. Have you done extensive market research (as I’m positive the OSEG has), or are you just talking out your butt?

How do YOU know bilingualism however it’s manifested in an Ottawa team makes no difference. Have you done extensive market research (as I’m positive the OSEG has), or are you just talking out your butt?
[/quote]
I agree the CFL is changing and there are a whole new generation of fans that they are focusing on. The OSEG has already stated that it will target franco fans on both sides of the River. Young new fans fathers and Grandfathers may not be pesuaded to leave their Montreal Als alligance as that is what they know only, however their sons and Grandsons in that college age and younger will connect more with the experience of going to a game at Landsdowne Park and spending the day before the game in the modern social spots to meet up for dinner before the game or hitting a Sports Pub after the game.
They have already announced plans to promote the RedBlacks in Gatinuea with ticket outlets and retail outlets as well as other marketing.
Some swag new Uniforms and Merchandise will also draw attention to the younger generation.
As the Als have grabbed the support of the 18-34 range in Montreal with the move to McGill that same age range will be the focus of fans in the Ottawa Gatineua metro.

Have I done research about "bilingualism"??
the only research I have done is "living and working in Ottawa for 19 years" I have French Canadian friends and colleagues. I can tell you that having a French name for a team or having coaches/managers with French names is not going to make a difference to selling tickets or marketing to the Francophone community. If the name is the "Redblack" French Canadians will call them "Les Redblacks" French Canadians will always prefer the Als or the Canadiens in hockey. I have NEVER met a French Canadian in Ottawa that is a Senators fans, they are ALWAYS Montreal fans. So it's going to be tough to get any French Canadian to buy tickets, he will have to hope that these fans just enjoy football.

Jeff Hunt is a great marketer, he's bilingual and he will do a great job. He will market the team to the whole community but just giving the team a French name will not make sell more tickets in fact it might alienate the 80 per cent Anglos in the area.
Having bilingual marketers, front office staff etc is important in the area. Having bilingual coaches/managers doesn't make one bit of difference.

Yeah, I think that's the bilingual part that's necessary. Hunt is not in middle of Quebec, he's right on the border where most French people have some understanding of the English language anyway. So the name itself may not matter so much but they may be far more comfortable with being able to communicate with someone in French when they call the ticket office or some such.

I do think that it must have been pleasant for the French media to be able to as Desjardins their questions in French at his introductory press conference though. And let's keep those people happy, by all means.

Having French friendly speakers for the press and the people calling for tickets will be important somewhere withing the organization. That will just be good business with a nice chunk of people within your immediate fan base being French. When it comes to filling the Head Coach spot it will need to be the best football person obviously.

This is the same reasoning I have with the name. I would rather have a good name than a crappy bilingual one just for the sake of having a bilingually politically correct name. I would rather have a good coach that wins games than a mediocre one that is bilingual and doesn't win games.

Is Redblacks new GM Desjardins Bi Lingual? I thought that he was but someone stated somewhere that he was not. can anyone confirm this one way or the other ?

Yes, media reports indicate that he is bilingual.

Thank you thats what I thought

His French is excellent.