Pattern analysis

Our last three Grey Cup wins were in 1999, 1986 and 1972.

Time elapsed from 1972 to 1986: 14 years

Time elapsed from 1986 to 1999: 13 years

Predicted date of next Grey Cup win, based on 12 years elapsing since the last win: 2011

(inspired by my daughter's 3rd grade math homework)

A gap that was reduced by 1 year on one occasion is a pattern? :?

It only takes 2 points to make a line.

1. I really like your theory

2. If you're helping with math, I've got 2 girls who could use some help lol.

Based on Grade 3 math? Certainly.

Question: The first three numbers in a sequence are 1972, 1986, 1999. What are the next three numbers in the sequence?
Answer: 2011, 2022, and 2032.

Personally, I'd rather see the answer being 2011, 2012, and 2013, but that's not exactly linear.

Way to take the excitement out of the theory. :frowning: :wink:

Sorry about that, Chief.

Two years ago I was a big believer in the "once a decade" pattern

Last year I felt that the "Year of the Tiger" was a can't-miss proposition for us

This year I believe in the pattern noted above

The difficulty level of any math has nothing to do with what makes a pattern.

"pattern |?pat?rn|
an arrangement or sequence regularly found in comparable objects or events"

A decrease of 1 year over the gap of 2 different Cups out of 15 total is regular?

I am all for a Cup this year but the logic here and understanding of the word pattern are a bit off.

I think you're taking this far more seriously than the original poster intended.

I think it was supposed to be a little chuckle in the loooooooooong and boring off-season. I thought it was clever even though it may not be mathematically accurate.

But if you really want to be picky…

On my desk is sitting a copy of a Calculus textbook by James Stewart (Mac Prof). It’s a commonly used textbook in first and second year calculus courses. There is one question which gives the sequence 1,4,7,10,… and asks for a formula for the n-th number in the sequence. The textbook expects students to find the pattern after 4 numbers, the OP found a pattern in 3 numbers. Not all that different.

I just got my first pair of prescription glasses ever and I was told I look real smart.........sadly, in reading this last post, it's obvious that perception is not reality :wink: :lol: (you totally lost me)

Technically, it could be a pattern given future developments. Of course given the Mayan calendar we may never know. I'm still hoping for a TiCat cheerleader calendar set in the Mayan ruins for next year in tribute to what might unfold.

If we win this year there will be no doubting the pattern, and I will revive this thread.

I can't help it if I notice mathematical patterns earlier than others.

Yeah, I have to go now. Three minutes to Wapner.

I pretty much never agree with you deerhunter but here I do.

Wow some people take things far too seriously.

I suspect that's intentional. It's the depths of the off-season.

Some exciting works on this topic for those going beyond grade 3:

You may want to check out the excellent and entertaining journals :slight_smile:
Pattern Recognition at http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00313203
The Journal of Pattern Recognition Research at http://www.jprr.org/index.php/jprr
International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence at http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=openurl&i ... re=journal
or even
Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis at http://www.springer.com/computer/image+ ... rnal/11493

Then

For the dermatologists among us there is
In vivo epiluminescence microscopy of pigmented skin lesions. I. Pattern analysis of pigmented skin lesions
H Pehamberger, A Steiner, K Wolff
Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology
Volume 17, Issue 4 , Pages 571-583, October 1987

and in education there is the ever-popular (and my favourite)

Pattern Analysis of Students' Achievement Goals
Judith L. Meecea, and Kathleen Holtb
School of Education, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA
Department of Psychology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA

This is a study that finds that students who study because they want to learn the subject have higher levels of achievement than students who want to avoid work or who study just because they want to look good. Ain't research grand!

Yours in useless academic research while I should be grading papers!

Any pattern which can be detected in something like the championship seasons of a sports team is merely a numerical artifact. If team X won championships in 1996, 2000, 2004 and 2008 you can see a pattern but of course you couldn't use this data to predict a championship in 2012.

As for a championship every decade, in an 8 team league, this would be expected wouldn't it? Except for the Toronto Maple Laffs of course.

An Argo-Cat fan