Pass, Pass, Pass....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Pass, Pass, Pass, Pass, oh let's give to Whitaker wow he just ran 15 yards, pass, pass, pass, oh dump pass to Whitaker another 15 yard. Whitaker is the best running back in the league, and the way we use him makes me sick! This year reminds me off the Habs Centennial year with all the distractions. This year is AC with his stupid passing records, i cant wait till he breaks it so we can concentrate a little more. I have been so excited to watch Alouettes football all these years, being a season ticket holder and all, but this game really did it in for me.

I think I heard you on the post-game show on CJAD with those same sentiments.

Yes it was me! haha

Good on yah
Both of them (especially Ed Philion) sounded like they really wanted to agree whole heartedly
Instead of the lukewarm response you did get

Politics
Pah!

The second caller was me and I made the same comments as I posted on the Als-Bombers string.

Others have said it
As have I
But once more for good measure...

Can everyone on this team really assert....with confidence
That the Montreal Alouettes...hanging their hats and entire season
On an inconsistent and ageing quarterback
Are well prepared to meet the challenges of a tough end-of-season schedule
And into the playoffs?

People have been saying that they've never seen AC play so badly
But we have to admit...that in certain key games
Most notably certain Grey Cups
A Calvillo offence has sputtered and ground to a halt.

He's done a great job the last few years under Trestman
Has done a whole bunch...both physically and mentally
And is probably one of the hardest working quarterbacks in the league

Take it from me
Ageing doesn't mean you're not capable of a great performance
And sometimes experience is the best ally
But getting older does mean that there are going to be more "off days"
Days when your energy level is off...and your concentration isn't peaking

Maybe that is just part of the human condition
But the young can fight those lapses off with an exuberance and energy
That the ageing simply can't access

I'd love to see AC stick around for years
Those magnificent days like he had against the TiCats
part two not part one
Man....I'd love them to never go away

But in order for that to happen
And still have a team that doesn't suffer the flipside inconsistencies of age
We're going to need an alternative
And the will to use it

I know a lot of Als fans have toyed with the prospect of an effective platoon
Using the complementary talents of AC and AD
I put it to you...and to those on the fence
That this is exactly the scenario where such a scenario has been implemented
And done with success

An ageing quarterback...admittedly inconsistent...but obviously with tons of great games still in him
And a young and talented second....itching to get some action, and more than capable of coming in when the veteran just doesn't have it that day.

As I mentioned before...such a platoon could also be "opponent targeted"
Mindful of the strengths of the opposing defences...
and the veteran's history against same
Starting the young guy when appropriate

As I think someone else mentioned:
Is it really any wonder AC crumbled against the defence that put him in the General last year?

Wouldn't it be sensible to start a McPherson against such a powerful pass rush
Have your young QB break down this "en-swaggered" front with his legs
Spread the defence and loosen up the middle for our young...talented running back?

As I write these words
I can't help feeling the palpable resistance
From T&M
And those who have hung their reputations on Calvillo's legacy
And their roles in it

When some here have expressed the fatalistic certainty
That the only way McPherson will see the field
Is over Calvillo's "dead body"
so to speak
I can't help feeling the inevitability of failure in 2011
And the infuriating inflexibility
That is the death of all great endeavours

Still...there must be Hope
And mine is that the Alouettes will see the light
For the good of the team
Before it's too late.

Go Als!

Our next game is against Edmonton. . . and Rich Stubler is their defensive coordinator. Seems to me that AC has traditionally had problems with a Stubler defence. . . so might this be a game to give McPherson some quality playing time? Maybe. . .

Ces constatations au sujet de Calvillo ont toute leur pertinence dans ce qu'on observe actuellement. Calvillo a des hauts et des bas. Certaines parties, il est nettement au-dessus de tous les quarts de la ligue, et d'autres parties il a l'air de se chercher.

Dans la dernière partie, il était dans un de ses mauvais jours, et jusqu'à presque la toute fin, nous aurions pu gagner cette partie, n'eût été de l'entêtement incompréhensible (je suis poli) des entraîneurs de faire des jeux de passe alors que la course s'imposait. Malgré ça, Calvillo mène les quarts de la ligne à bien des chapitres. Certes, la défensive y a été pour beaucoup, mais c'est cette défensive qui s'est fait rouler dans la farine au premier quart. Disons qu'elle s'est rachetée, et que l'attaque a fini par combler le déficit. Par la suite, c'est le contraire qui s'est produit.

Les Alouettes ont besoin de deux victoires dans les deux prochaines semaines, ce qui ne sera pas une sinécure si Green n'est pas du jeu, ni tous nos blessés de la tertiaire, sans compter Hopkins qui a terminé le match sur une jambe. Bien qu'il serait probablement à propos de commencer à donner du temps significatif à McPherson, je doute que les entraîneurs y aillent avec lui alors que la course est très serrée, que nous affronterons les deux meilleurs équipes de la ligue avec des horaires serrés et une formation amochée.

Je pense que si les entraîneurs veulent donner du temps à McPherson, ils risquent plus de lui donner la partie contre Toronto à l'Action de Grâces, et peut-être la suivante contre Hamilton, à moins qu'il ne soit en retard dans sa course au record de Damon Allen. C'est bête, mais il semble que ce record soit malgré lui ce qui régit la saison de Calvillo présentement. Il n'y peut rien, c'est simplement que la marque est là, et il doit la dépasser. C'est une question d'honneur, finalement. Tout serait peut-être plus simple si le satané record n'était pas dans les parages. Mais il est là.

J'avais émis l'hypothèse que Calvilo était fatigué et il est par la suite revenu avec une performance éclatante contre les Timinous. Après la dernière partie, je me demande si cela n'était pas un accident de parcours, et s'il n'est pas effectivement un peu fatigué, après tout.

Alors bien que je crois que ça serait salutaire pour Calvillo de prendre deux parties de congé pour revenir plus fort, j'ai plutôt l'impression que les entraîneurs vont faire jouer le quart qui présente encore les meilleures statistiques de la ligue.

With all due respect
The Alouettes are 6-5
I'm sick and tired of this obsession with Calvillo's stats and records
While nobody's arguing those calls made any kind of sense
After the mediocre (and I'm being polite) performance by AC
Focusing on one series of downs is a little myopic

Bien qu'il serait probablement à propos de commencer à donner du temps significatif à McPherson, je doute que les entraîneurs y aillent avec lui alors que la course est très serrée, que nous affronterons les deux meilleurs équipes de la ligue avec des horaires serrés et une formation amochée.
[i][b]Now[/b][/i] is exactly the time to throw something entirely new at a league that seems to be adapting to an increasingly stale and predictable Alouettes offence. What could be more of a change-up than a mobile quarterback? It's not like McPherson looks completely out of his element when he has had chances to sub in. Unlike the vast majority of pretenders....AD has managed to impress almost every time he's had the chance.
Je pense que si les entraîneurs veulent donner du temps à McPherson, ils risquent plus de lui donner la partie contre Toronto à l'Action de Grâces, et peut-être la suivante contre Hamilton, à moins qu'il ne soit en retard dans sa course au record de Damon Allen. C'est bête, mais il semble que ce record soit malgré lui ce qui régit la saison de Calvillo présentement. Il n'y peut rien, c'est simplement que la marque est là, et il doit la dépasser. C'est une question d'honneur, finalement. Tout serait peut-être plus simple si le satané record n'était pas dans les parages. Mais il est là.
Giving McPherson "junk-games" and "junk-time" token appearances under orders to not even throw the ball....once....is more damaging than anything. The guy is rusting away the best years of his life! It seems to me the most dishonorable aspect of Calvillo's career has been his (up to recently) appalling record in The Big Game. And the dishonour is to his team and fellow players...who rarely have the chance to play over a decade and finally win their revenge and retribution. If the Alouettes were suddenly to switch to (what to me would certainly be) a devastatingly brilliant QB platoon...Calvillo...assuming his ego could survive the blow...would see his career extended significantly. This would certainly assure him of any records he desires....while not crippling his team in the process. And his teammates would benefit, both from his good example and sacrifice...and through an exponential increase in the potency of their offensive output.
J'avais émis l'hypothèse que Calvilo était fatigué et il est par la suite revenu avec une performance éclatante contre les Timinous. Après la dernière partie, je me demande si cela n'était pas un accident de parcours, et s'il n'est pas effectivement un peu fatigué, après tout.
I say again: it is entirely possible that a combination of age and (who knows) whatever minor percentage his illness has affected the execution of what is, after all an elite position in a grueling sport...is the answer to the vexed question: what is wrong with Anthony Calvillo. It's only natural therefore that AC might be brilliant one week....and completely off the next. It's up to the coaches to plan for this...and it's up to us to point it out to them.
Alors bien que je crois que ça serait salutaire pour Calvillo de prendre deux parties de congé pour revenir plus fort, j'ai plutôt l'impression que les entraîneurs vont faire jouer le quart qui présente encore les meilleures statistiques de la ligue.
Again...stats schmatz...we're losing!!!

And hey, guess what - it happens. You can disregard the stats all you want, but Calvillo is the best QB in the league right now. If you want to win, there's no better QB to have on the field than him. I give no disrespect to Macpherson. I'm eager to see him play eventually. But if we want to win, we have to go with our best option, and if you're going to tell me that it isn't Calvillo right now, well... I'll be left without words.

So he had a bad day. Big deal. It's not like anyone could have predicted that Calvillo wouldn't play up to par. Speaking of that, since when is nearly 300 yards, 2 TDs and no interceptions "not up to par" for any QB?

Sure, we lost. I can understand the frustration. I was, too. But the way you're putting down Calvillo is intensely irritating.

Every time we neglect our running game which I think we did in the second half we lose. But we keep doing it. One guy should call the plays, not two and a half men…

A.C. still gives us the best chance to win by far, and to switch QBs at this point would be to give up on the season. We have been spoiled the last 2 seasons by his play, and a couple of errant passes and we`re breaking ankles jumping off the bandwagon.

McPherson is hopefully the future, but frankly he has not proven yet he is a full time starting CFL QB. We can argue until we are blue that he has not been given the opportunity, but there are still questions about being consistent in his accuracy.

Henry Burris has been Hank and Frank all season and Hufnagel, another coach I respect, has made no mention of bringing in Drew Tate, arguably a better prospect than McPherson.

The Winnipeg game at home and with first place on the line was a tough one to lose. We lost because of poor tackling on the Watson catch and the bad play calling on our last drive. It was not because of A.C.`s performance.

What is the difference between bringing Adrian in on 3rd and two vs 3rd and one ???? The guy averages 3.2 yards a carry on sneaks... Calling that inside cross twice in a row was a bad choice and coach admitted it. There was 1:30 left and we needed 20 to 25 yards to move in to field goal range. In fact running the ball was the smart way to control both the clock and the drive. Trestman is still struggling with the 3 minute clock.

At this point with AC being inconsistant for the first time in over a decade I think it would be smart to build a mini playbook and when AC struggles you could bring in Mcpherson with a no huddle kind of offensive fast pace run and gun attack and really mess with a defense. I am not suggesting pulling the team from AC, just using a very athletic QB and taking the chains off our Oline and backs. You could bring in our two slotbacks in a tight end formation and use two backs and go to town for a couple series. This would be maddening to an opponent. We need to think out of the box or we'll be 6-7 in two weeks and heading to Ivor Wynn to play a EDSF... Right now we are being outworked, outcoached and ultimately outplayed...

I don't think we watched the same game, AC was throwing in the groins, the knees, the ankles... Alouette ! He was very inacurate and that will hapen. There are days where he manages to run the ball or be effective out of the pocket, but it was not one of those days, the few times he ran, he either fumbled or lost yards. Now if we look at this from a purely strategic perspective, having a change of pace and offering one more option of running the ball by the qb could IMHO have created confusion on the the wpg's defence and allowed us to protect the ball more, in fact, it's amazing that we were not intercepted more often. I think it was a text book situation where we could have used McPherson in a meaningfull way.