Partie # 8- Ottawa à Montr´éal

That is not surprising. Dollarama Danny Maciocia is a weasel.

3 Likes

What happened to the smart ass thread by everyman?Maciocia firing Jones and appointing himself HC could easily happen.

Everyman sounds like a plant by the Alouettes...

Just read Maciocia has signed Plessius: 33 who was finished four years ago. But the players are there…

Maciocia is who we figured he was and If I was Jones and his buddies. i would put feelers out. No question in my mind that Maciocia will “stab” Jones as soon as he has the opportunity and bring in his body Thorpe in the off season.

Yeah, we might have to agree to disagree on Maciocia’s character. For me, he plays the role of the genial honest guy in the media, but scratch the surface and you find someone who is only out for himself and who seeks to deflect blame at all times. Als fans also remember how shamelessly he campaigned to be involved with the team after Popp was fired but before he was eventually hired.

Having said that, I agree that competence is just as big an issue. Maciocia IMO is neither trustworthy nor competent.

2 Likes

Tillman went one further back in ‘06 when he used his media position at TSN to attack and slam Shivers’ character and even morality at every turn until he got Shivers’ job. Beyond self-serving.

1 Like

Question to HFX and D&P. Would you rather be right on your negative take on DM and that he is angling to fire KJ and perhaps install himself or wrong on your predictions.
Admittedly it just seems super strange to me that the moderator and veteran poster to be on this same track right after their most impressive win in decades.

Je trouve que la victoire des Alouettes la plus impressionnante depuis des décennies est celle contre les Blue Bombers en septembre 2019, mais indépendamment de ça, c'est surtout basé sur l'expérience passée de Maciocia à Edmonton ainsi qu'à son comportement en 2017.

J'ai été content de notre saison morte et j'ai même félicité Maciocia pour ses signatures lors de la période des joueurs autonomes dans un billet sur le Grand club RDS. Malheureusement, je trouve que la ligne défensive ne performe pas assez bien que prévu, que notre tertiaire est faible et surtout que nous n'avons pas de profondeur en terme de talent canadien. On a qu'à regarder le tralala causé par les blessures de Jamieson et Gagnon.

Edit : et pour répondre à ta question everyman, je préférerais avoir tort. J'aime mieux avoir une équipe gagnante avec Maciocia comme DG plutôt qu'une équipe perdante qui sacrerait Maciocia dehors. Je n'aimais pas Kavis Reed mais j'étais quand même très content lorsque l'équipe gagnait des matchs sous sa direction.

2 Likes

On est 2ème dans la ligue pour les sack avec 1 match en main, je crois que la Dline fait un bon travaille contrairement à 2019. Je suis d’accord avec la tertiaire par contre

1 Like

Which wasn’t often. :s

Thanks for the reply.
Well lets keep in mind that they are 2nd in the league in sacks.
To me the biggest weakness is penalties. They are the responsibility of the players. Accountability for those penalties rest with the coaches,
I believe that players should be benched for a series every time they commit an unnecessary roughness penalty.

and it is important to remember that this is the 8th game of DM’s tenure as GM. Depth and Canadian talent takes time. Those areas have been slipping for 12 years.

I neither like or dislike DM. But he has been hired to run the team and I’m satisfied that he has done a good job so far. It took Winnipeg 6 years for their staff to put the pieces together and many wanted OShea and Walters to be fired 4 years ago.

2 Likes

There’s a saying in football. If it happens in practice, it’ll happen in the game. If the team is taking costly penalties, it’s probably because they get away with it in practice. Sask has the same problem this year. If someone lines up offside in practice, it’s up to the coaches to point it out and rectify it right there. If someone gives an extra shove after the play in practice, the coaches have to deal with it right then and there and let the team know that it’s not acceptable.

In fairness to coaches it is difficult these days to simulate game aggression in practice and replicate these situations of emotional intensity which is when most of these fouls occur. No pads, no hitting anymore does have some serious drawbacks. We are seeing this big time this year and bad penalties is one of those drawbacks.

1 Like

What’s strange to me is how you keep following two members of this forum around, harassing them about opinions they have every right to express and making blatant strawman arguments that have nothing to do with anything actually said.

I am happy when the team wins. I want the team to win. But I have no faith that Maciocia will build a winning team, based on his track record. I’d be happy to be wrong.

I was also responding to comments that Maciocia himself had made in the Montreal Gazette. Since when do posters not have the right to discuss what the GM says to the media? If you don’t like it, don’t read it. Or debate in a respectful manner. But if you keep trolling other members, if you keep making it personal and talking about other members instead of sticking to football, it won’t end well for you.

Hmmm…nobody questions that right.
I will quit asking questions directly to you two if it upsets you so much.

But those are not the type of penalties that have been plaguing Montreal. What’s killing them are the “revenge” penalties, these are not concentration or rule related, they are selfish penalties.

Même pas une saison active en poste et il commence déjà à pointer les autres.

Quand il va avoir de la misère à recruter des entraîneurs dans les prochaines saisons, il va se demander pourquoi.

This is where Todd Howard’s firing doesn’t sit quite right with me. The poor guy had zero help, no LB blitz, no safety blitz… NOTHING since the beginning of the season.

Now the DC can make the case that he is choosing to help his secondary because of poor play, inexperience, injuries whatever but in this case the guys in the secondary are Miles guys, his own hires and he coaches the DB’s!

But Miles is Calvillo’s best friend, his BESTY… Who hired Miles was it really Jones or was it Milles who wispered in AC’s ear who went to his buddy Maciocia and saddled Jones with him?

Then they leak that Howard had Daton Jones practicing with starters. Well if I have to make a decision inside of a week as to if I’m going to keep a CFL rookie in a COVID season where I can’t cut guys loose and replace them once the season is a go. I want to see him get meaningful reps. I think it was a low blow to leak that.

Anyway, I see, hear and read things that just don’t pass the smell test. I hope I’m wrong…

1 Like

La partie contre Ottawa n’était pas une grande partie tant l’adversaire était faible en partant. C’est comme le blanchissage contre Toronto en 2009.

Si on veut parler d’une victoire retentissante, la demi-finale de l’Est en 2014 contre les Lions était pas mal plus impressionnante.

La plus belle game que les Alouettes on joué cette saison, c’est la première contre les Wappiti. Ce qu’on a vu a Hamilton de la part des deux team c’etait meme pas du foot pro.

Actually yes I did mention the revenge penalties, the retaliations …

But again, it’s very difficult to recreate that tension that brings out retaliation when no one hits in practice, no one even wears pads, so it’s almost impossible for coaches to catch those things in practice before they happen in games.

If you recall the 2011 Extra Yard behind the scenes show, there was the scene in Argo training camp where Miguel Robede took a swing or a shove at someone in retaliation. Barker immediately stopped everything and made it clear that it was not acceptable, even when Robede argued truthfully that the other guy had started it. Barker said “I know he did, I saw the whole thing, but in a game that’s 15 yards and it’s selfish”. That’s an example of a coach not allowing that sort of thing to happen in practice in order for it to be clear that it shouldn’t happen in a game, and when the saying goes that discipline and bad penalties is on the coaches, that’s where that comes from.

1 Like

Yup. Better win. Ottawa played like champs against the Elks. We don’t play them again this year and I’m thankful for that. The RedBlacks are a different team now. Their powerful defense doesn’t have to stay on the field too long and die like it did every game before Evans showed up. I think this is going to be a terrific game to watch. Good luck! :smiley: :+1: