Parade Idiocy

The Rogers 3rd Annual Santa Claus Parade takes place downtown this Sunday at 1:00 PM.

Obviously, Rogers doesn't really care what's going on in Vancouver if they're staging this event the same afternoon as the Lions Grey Cup appearance. Lions fans should keep this in mind when considering their wireless communications provider.

Given that City Hall seldom if ever hands out two parade permits in the same week, don't expect the Lions to get their parade if they win because of Board of Trade's pre-Xmas love-in.

Only in Vancouver........

don't you think that parade was planned months in advance of this Grey Cup game? How were they to know the Lions would be in it?

What are they supposed to do, postpone everything in the city for a football game?

If you wanna watch the parade, nobody is stopping you. You should be home in time for kickoff.

The Grey Cup is a de facto national holiday, and I'm sure Parade Organizers knew for months the game was on November 19, and yes, the city should stop when the home team is in the big game: just ask anyone from Calgary, Edmonton, Regina or Winnipeg.

Last year the parade was the same day as the Western Final, but it was in the morning to avoid the conflict. This year, the parade is at 1:00 PM, and runs for a couple of hours. If one stays for the entire parade (which parents have to, since Santa shows up at the end), one is then forced to fight their way through the crowds/traffic having already missed the 3:00 PM kickoff. Most people living in the Lower Mainland would at least miss the first half, while a significant number would miss the entire game.

It hasn't escaped my attention that a major sponsor of the parade is Global TV, who have a vested interested in destablizing a CBC audience. It wouldn't surprise me that Global won't mention this (or the number of homes without power this weekend)when they pitch their Sunday NFL telecasts to local advertisers.

and I still don't have cable restored in South Surrey!! :mad:

Are you sure everyone knew the date?

You are off by a month.

I also dont agree that the city should stop because of the game. Not everyone has the same likes and dislikes as you do and they should not have to bend to your likes

[quote="ro1313
Are you sure everyone knew the date?

You are off by a month.

I also dont agree that the city should stop because of the game. Not everyone has the same likes and dislikes as you do and they should not have to bend to your likes
[/quote]
Typo corrected, and I'm not so deluded to think that everyone has to bend to my likes. However, this is the Vancouver Board of Trade organizing this parade, and their 'Spirit of Vancouver' Committee was in on preparations Vancouver's Grey Cup last year. They should have known better.

Imagine if Xmas was a month later. Do you think anyone in Seattle would have staged a Santa Claus parade on Super Bowl Sunday? If Rogers and the Board of Trade want to do business in my community, they should respect the institutions in my community, and the BC Lions have been a Vancouver institution since 1954.

I'd run a splitter from my house, but I can't find anyone willing to sell me 50 miles of coaxial cable.

The point I was trying to make was that it is easy to make a mistake on the date, add to that that not everyone is a CFL fan.

I'd run you a cable from the satallite dish, but 300 miles is a lot of cable! :wink: