Palmer group gets Ottawa?

Why do you say this Earl. It might be a good thing if it happens but I haven’t heard anything. Besides doesn’t MLSE want an NFL team?

The Rough Rider name gets my vote with the big white R on the helmet
and the red pants with the black squares in the stripe down the side-remember those?

It’s hard to see the downside to having a local kid with american college and NFL experience starting at QB in Ottawa. I just hope he’s got the right stuff for the CFL.

But the bottom line is, I just want to see stable ownership and a good team in Ottawa-everything else is secondary.

The Rough Rider uniforms from the 70's (like the one's they had for the 1976 Grey Cup vs Sask...) were one of the best of all time. Love the Black and Red jersey, and the R on the helmet. I'd love to see them come back with those.

I think that was the era Palmer played in, so if he gets the team hopefully he thinks the same and brings back a uniform looking something close to that!

ruff, just commenting on what r&w said:

It is now becoming the in thing to do own several sports franchises under one group!

I think that MLSE might make a pitch for them for this very reason. I don't think that would interfere with Tanenbaum's interests in going after an NFL team since that wouldn't happen for many years, even if it did, since the NFL has to first worry about getting a team back in LA, their top priority, and a stadium built there. MLSE I'm sure would like nothing better than for 10 or so more dates of the Argos to play at their soccer stadium, well more or less their stadium. Another factor. But who knows what will happen, I will agree with that.

Timing is everything.

Maybe they’ll announce it during Grey Cup, or when they think the announcement will create the most excitement in order to sell tickets.

I’d love to see the Rough Riders back again.

Here here!

Yeah, I loved those uniforms. Classic Ottawa Rough Riders with the big R on the helmet. Very classy and very colourful. Especially the white ones with the red numbers and white pants from 1968 -1973. Those uniforms were my favorites. :thup: :smiley:

I hope MLSE doesn’t buy the Argos. The Argos have great ownership now with a vision for the whole league. MLSE has shown that they don’t even care about the other Canadian-based NHL teams. It would be the same in the CFL, and the league already has enough problem owners.

MLSE have been nothing but bad news for Toronto and Canadian sports fans. Period.

Keep the Gades name, as 2 teams named Roughriders in the same league makes it sound mickey-mousey!

I still say that the single biggest reason the team should not be named "Rough Riders" is the whole Horn Chen scenario. The jerk ruined the franchise and wans to profit from owning the name. He flat out doesn't deserve the money, and owning the name is a useless asset unless someone buys it from him. A useless asset for a useless owner....I say it's a perfect fit.

the palmer group isnt getting an ottawa team, first of all its a conflict of interest with having an owner and his son as a QB, the cfl doesnt want another michael/kevin feterik fiasco where you have a psycho owner and his benchwarmer son playing QB. Also the name roughriders is an embrassment and brings up bad memories of the gliebermans, horn chen, dexter manley, and a bunch of teams that finished under .500.

Also the cfl wants jeff hunt, they are probably waiting for him to get a new ownership group.

Also frank d'angelo is an idiot for even considering getting a team, who wants a loudmouth, annoying clown as the face of a franchise.

Jesse Palmer is Montreal.

Bah. Says who? Ignorant Americans who don’t know anything about the CFL, its history and tradition? There used to be two different leagues, the names have different origins.

I’m all for Rough Riders and Roughriders. The way it was, the way it should be. The CFL’s history and tradition should be emphasizied more, and it should be appreciated more.

The CFL’s history is a rich and under utilized asset.

There are a couple of BIG differences between Palmer and Feterik. Palmer actually PLAYED in the CFL for the Rough Riders and Jesse Palmer is an Ottawan who actually played in the NFL. In other words, they are not and never will be posers like the Feteriks and Glieberheads. Furthermore, you must not have been around when the Rough Riders were one of the classy teams in the CFL, up until around 1984 when the wheels fell off of thet franchise due to poor ownership and the departure of Frank Clair. Remember Jackson/Tucker or Clements/Gabriel. The Rough Rider name is part of CFL history, whether you like it or not the name should be re-instated.Next time, think with your head not with an anti- Ottawa attitude. You must be a Sask. fan :x

Excellent post ORR.

....yep, ORR had me right up until the anti-Saskatchewan generalization B.S......

Sorry about that, man, I shouldn’t make assumptions like that. It’s just that I have noticed that it seems to be the Saskatchewan Roughriders fans that are the most anti Rough Riders name. :thup:

bring back the gades!!!!

My take is that I don't care who is called what - the Green Riders could change their name and it wouldn't bother me one bit.....I don't care what their name is called, so long as I have a team to cheer for.....hope you get yours back soon, and if there are two Riders back in town, that's fine by me too.....

I am as much of a traditionalist as anyone.
But how many times do you get to fold a franchise before you lose the rights to a name?
Apparently, 3 isn't enough...
Sooner or later, you need to get over it, and move forward.
Two teams with the same name is simply not a good idea.
I know the folded franchises were not the fault of the fans, and if you had kept the continuity going, I say no problem keeping the name, but now it is time to build a new tradition in Ottawa and move on.
Don't forget your past, and your traditions, but develop new ones.
The current generation of Ottawa fans don't know about the RRs and it is to them that you must sell the product.

Yes, I am a Saskatchewan Roughrider fan, but I suspect fans across the league are not interested in a rebirth of the double Rider phenonema.
Ultimately, it is up to the league and the new owners and the fans of Ottawa, but from a long term marketing viewpoint, Renegades is a better idea.
or something else.
I thought the Steelbacks might have been good--to bad that bid has been rejected....