Owners fail to approve CFL cap

Ted was on the radio a just a few moments ago. It seems that there is a few minor changes to satisfy the collective barginning of the CFLPA. He feels this will be done soon. It seems one of the owners came up with a concern and that concern is going to be addressed. Once this is done they will get the vote necessary.

Is there any truth to the rumour that, in order to secure his vote, Hugh Campbell demanded that the constitution be amended to allow the Esks to make trades involving future considerations that just happen to be one of their star players?

I believe this covers that in the last part of his statment:

however the majority of the sms operational issues have already been integrated into the new year, the disputed areas do not involve operational issues, so lets see what happens after the rewrite is completed..Ted

[url=http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Edmonton/2006/05/21/1591056-sun.html]http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 6-sun.html[/url]

MONEY MATTERS

The Edmonton Eskimos have suddenly played a significant role in stalling a major part of the CFL's salary management system.

The monetary issues - i.e. the $3.8-million salary cap - within the SMS are now on hold because three teams - including the Eskimos - refused to vote in favour of language changes within the document this week.

Six teams needed to support the change in wording. The Montreal Alouettes and B.C. Lions also voted against the changes.

The Eskimos refused to comment on the developments, but other league executives are talking.

"In order to convert what we call the Phoenix document (the SMS that was approved in Phoenix in January) into an operational document, there were two things to happen: We needed discussion with the players' association and there has to be a conversion of what is unwritten constitutional language in Phoenix to written language we can implement," said Ted Hellard, a Calgary Stampeder owner.

"We got through the players' association.

"Then we had to verbalize it into a constitutional form. A team that voted for it in (Phoenix) now had some issues as how this was an acting constitution.

"It just has to be put into a language all the teams can be comfortable with.

"Now we're rewriting the constitutional issues. There's no timetable as to when it will be brought forward."

It's believed the "team" Hellard is referring to is the Eskimos.

But as major supporter of the SMS, Hellard doesn't believe this is the end of the salary-cap idea, which is supposed to be enforced next year.

"This is really just part of the process," he said.

Maybe I've missed it here, but does anyone know how this will affect roster sizes this season. I know the numbers on active rosters and Development Rosters (much better name than Practice Roster, by the way)were up under the new SMS.

How are those numbers affected?