Our Free Agents

Still no news about Keron Williams, Diamond Ferri, and the rest...

They have their offers , so I guess there wasn't much money left around. Maybe we'll have a few surprises still before free agency or maybe some of the guys will come back to a good situation if the money is close to what other teams are offering.

One thing is for sure, its not because Jim and Marcel aren't working their tail off...

Keron Williams is really the one I'm most concerned with re-signing. Stewart and Bowman had the glory stats in 2009, but Keron was the sparkplug for a lot of those sacks, forcing the QB outside and generally causing problems with his speed and athleticism off the line. He's only 25 and could be a key part of our D-line for years to come if we can get him squared away.

Bownan has signed. I am sure Popp could come up with replacements for others if necessary.

Potential non-import free agents Eric Deslauriers-WR- and Jeff Robertshaw-DE- have both resigned with the Als; they both signed for a 1 year +option.

Next to sign/be announced should be Paul Lambert.

Richard

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=308131

Als have re-signed Ferri (2+1) and Lambert (1+1).

Keep 'em coming, Jim. What about Keron Williams? :slight_smile:

I hope they can sign most, if not all, of the players on last year's roster. Winning football championships means 12 men MUSTbe on the same page at the same time. Starting with brand new faces that have to learn a new system makes that much harder to achieve. And we have all seen what happens (sigh!) when teams win the big one. FAs now have bargaining chips for other teams and often "jump ship" - think of the Blue Jays at the end of both World Series seasons, when most of their star players bailed.

Jim Popp seems to have the knack, much like Sammy Pollock had, to recruit great talent, but maintaining the core players, I believe, is the key to another successful football season.

Nice to read, a little surprised that Jim states that Paul will be a starter. Crossing the line a little here in to “coaching” responsabilities. I think players should have to win their roster spot.

From the article, it really sounds like Ferri has taken to Montreal. Very nice to see such a turnaround for a guy who had discipline / attitude issues on the field just a short while ago.

Hfx: Maybe they're making Lambert a starter because they don't want Chiu back? I'm a bit surprised too.

What's the big "fuss"? Was Paul Lambert a starter for the last seven season for the Als? Was he a starter at the Grey Cup game? If they resign him do you think that they will say he is our 6th or 7th lineman? He is the starter until somebody comes along and "le détrône".

Could happen at training camp;if so,I am positive that there is a clause in his contract that "says" that he will be paid less. Until then,he is the starter.

In other news, I am surprised that the BC Lions have released non-import LB Javier Glatt; would be a good signature for us,unless he is claimed by another team. I know we have Shea Emry,but would be a good "reserve"/back-up" if an injury occur to Shea.When a non-import starts it is good to have a non-import bacy-up at this position. He could end in Calgary or Hamilton or Winnipeg.

Richard

I think Diamond married or is engaged to a French Canadian Montreal Girl.

Don’t get me wrong I like Paul. I’m glad he’s back but if Woodruff has a better camp he should start. I’m not big on a GM annointing guys before camp opens. Also I am not for trading a young player like Woodruff who’s commited to sign four years so a player who was gonna retire to work the family business two years ago can play till he’s almost forty. I’m also not big his repeated I’m a local boy, I’m a local boy, I’ve sacrificed to be here. He should have to win his job like just about everyone else on the team.

No one is making a big fuss. I’m sure even you can read this.

Jim Popp:

"Paul is a great contributor to our team, both on and off the field, and he will continue to play a major role as one of our starting offensive linemen

Nobody is making a ‘big fuss’ except you. So I’ll leave you to it, especially since you don’t seem interested in having two-way conversations with other members.

Of our bigger name guys I think that leaves just Chiu, Watkins and Williams unsigned. Keron Williams should definitely be up there on the priorities list

Still four starters unsigned...

Kerry Carter
Bryan Chiu
Dahrran Diedrick
Jermaine McElveen
Kerry Watkins
Keron Williams

Watkins is going to test the free-agent waters, so no surprise he’s still without a contract. Williams is priority 1, followed by McElveen, Carter, and Chiu, in that order. Diedrick I can take or leave.

I expect Chiu back; could/should be announced early next week,along with return of Ben Cahoon.

According to CJAD:
1-Carter and Diedrick are close to an agreement.

2-Williams had a tryout with Dallas,as a LB; no contract offer,yet. He,along with McElveen, could test free agency.

3-Watkins  was discussing with Jim Popp, on friday afternoon,re:new contract.

Most of our potential free agents could be back. If Keron Williams signs,McElveen may not return.

Richard

Thanks Richard, Hfxtc will be pleased with piont numero 3 :slight_smile:

At this point in his career Chui likely sees his options as re-sign with the als or retire. I highly doubt he is looking for a new home at this stage.

Id still be very surprised if we keep Watkins but I would definitely welcome him back. Carter I was under the impression wanted to work closer to home in either Hamilton or Toronto but he is a solid option at FB. Diedrick I can take or leave but not bad as a backup.

It is good to get a status update on Williams and McElveen. I can completely understand McElveen wanting to look elsewhere if it does not look like he will be a starter here as he is a very talented player. Williams I wish the best of luck to with the NFL but I hope that if he doesnt make the cut he returns to us as he was a big part of our defense this year

Chiu's back for a year and an option: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=308568

Interestingly, the article has Popp saying that Chiu will help develop the team's "future centre." Which can't be Lambert, obviously, so maybe Brodeur-Jourdain or Woodruff will get a shot this season!