OUR DEFENCE

Fellow Ticats fans :

What are your thoughts on our recent moves on defence ?

Anyne have any idea how our DLINE might be shaping up and how the two new non imports mnight fit in ? Bulcke and Shomari Williams ?
Anyone have any idea what the 2 linebacker additions might impact our current linebacking crew ? Simoni Lawrence and Bowman ?
How about our defensive backfrield with additions of Beasley , Mccullough , Patrick ? where do these gusy seem to fit in

Keep inmy mind this is just my opinion and sense based on the moves they are making . I think Austin feels the defensive backfield was our weakedst area and because of that he feels thay cannot afford to use a non import there at this time . they have not had a good cover corners for the longest time and have not had a true saferty either ,
This is why they grabbed Mccullough , Beasley and Patrick . These will occupy 2 corner spots and the safety and Colclough , Smith and Webb would be the halfbacks with Smith/ Hinds g up the corners and Hinds and Stephan/ Bucknor backing up
safety

I am not quite sure what is going on with The DLINE and linebackers ?

We need a true rush end and noen of these mves solved that ..I think getting Shomari gavce us oprions and replaced KANYA on specialty teams ..Shomario can play weak side linebacker or Defensive End . Austin says Defensice End so I am guessing this emans they want to play at least one on import on the DLine .Simoni Lawrence can play middle linebacker or weak side linebacker and so Can Marecllus Bowman ...I am wondering if Austin might be open to a 3 -4 defence with Torrey Davis at the Nose Tackle and Peguise and Shmori Williams as Ends and a linebacking crew of ( Knwlton , Rey Willams / Lawrence, Jamal Johnson AND Bowman )

I am not sure how Bulcke would be used ether ...

I do sense that Jamal Johnson and / or Rey Williams could get release based on these acquisition of Bowman and Lawrence

A 3 4 defence is interesting. Curious why it's not used more in the cfl, seeing as it is a passing league.
We'd be crazy to get rid of Johnson! I'd even question the loss of Williams...have him compete in training camp.

ive been saying we need to go to a 3-4 defence for a long time !

Last year, they went with six NIs on offence and one on defence, although they often had two NIs on the field on defence. Same this year? Probably, given the NI receiver depth we have. So a non-import both on the line and in the secondary as seventh and eighth. The question is which non-starting import player (in particular which position) ends up not being a designated import. A defensive lineman, allowing a full import line on some plays, or a DB, allowing a full import secondary? Personally, I feel Bucknor and Hinds are both on par with the imports we have, so I'd go with a backup defensive end as the undesignated import.

My (out-to-lunch?) guesses for the defensive starters:
DTs - Davis, McElveen
DEs - Pegeuse, S. Williams
LBs - R. Williams, Johnson, Knowlton (hope so anyway)
CBs - McCollough, Bucknor
HBs - Smith/Colclough/Webb (these three will be fighting for two spots - I suspect Colclough will be the odd man out)
S - Patrick

In terms of going to a 3/4 defence (which makes some sense, given the personnel), it is worth noting that Orlondo Steinauer played in a Rich Stubler defence, and Stubler was always known as a 3/4 defence kind of guy (and, with both Bighill and Elimimiam in BC this coming season, I fully expect to see a 3/4 defence in BC this season).

I think your guesses are very close :

Here are mine in a 4-4 defence and 3-4 Defence :

4-3

DTs - Davis, Moore
LBs - R. Williams, Johnson, Knowlton
CBs - McCollough, Beasley
HBs - Smith/Colclough/Webb (these three will be fighting for two spots - I suspect Colclough will be the odd man out)
S - Patrick

3-4

NT - Davis OR Moore
LBs - R. Williams, Johnson, Knowlton, Bowman
CBs - McCollough, Beasley
S - Patrick