Ottawa's Return: 2013 or later

Now I'm glad the Landsdown Live project is FINALLY going to get off the ground (but honestly now, could this "CFL-back-in-Ottawa" issue move any SLOWER?! Ridiculous!), but the way some people on this board have reacted you'd think that Ottawa will be back in the league in 8 months.

Um, slow down a sec.

The new Ottawa CFL team will be back in the CFL in the year 2013 at the earliest. So slow down there guys. It's still years and years and years away.

They have to get a stadium built or rebuilt first. These things take time though and it all looks positive and better do it with a rebuilt or new facility than try to play at that falling apart structure as it is now. It looks totally stupid with half the stands missing on one side, I understand they had to do it but this has to be rectified.

Why start a new thread about this when the information on the timelines is available on other threads???

The final vote on a re-designed Landsdowne is May, this is not just about a stadium.
The Mayor estimates that construction will start in spring of 2011 and the CFL ready to play in 2014. I can't see how it could be done sooner.
They have to tear down the old south side stands, re-design the North Side including removing the roof, putting a new roof over both stands, re-align the field, restaurants, private boxes etc. A new underground parking lot. A two year construction process that will go into 2013 and probably ready for the 2014 season.

Let's start a CFL video game thread instead.

Nah, an expansion thread would be better! :lol:

I thought this was an expansion thread :lol:

Technically, isn’t every thread in the Ottawa Renegades forum an expansion thread?

Let's hope its sooner than later.

I LOVE how the Ottawa city councel forced the potential owners to agree to a $1,500,000 annual penalty if the team is awarded and then folds.

GREAT idea!!!

Bring back the Ottawa Rough Riders!!!!

Which they agreed to in no time, so those who were accusing them of only using the team for 3-4 years in order to grab the land lost a lot of ammo that day.

Still think it was a shame this was held up so long. Ottawa could have been back in 2011 with out all the foot dragging

For what it's worth, though we'd been working with 2014 as a target date, Hunt mentioned on radio recently that they were still aiming for 2013.

2013 Thats a long ways away. Hard to believe it would take that long.

A bridge across the Fraser River is being built quicker than the Ottawa franchise returning to the CFL.

Ok but don't they just have to put a stick of dynamite in the mountain beside the river and 3/4 of job is done Sporty? :wink:

If it were just returning a team to the city, they would probably take the field for 2011. But it’s not just that, it’s demolition of a stadium and the restoration of a 40 acre peice of land. It’s a hufe undertaking.

If it was an empty field in the middle of nowhere I'd say yes what's taking so long.
But this is not just about a stadium. They have to tear down the old south side stands, re-design the North Side including removing the roof, putting a new roof over both stands, re-align the field, restaurants, private boxes etc. A new underground parking lot. Re-build the entrances to the stadium including the roads, rip up the ashphalt on the site and build shops, restaurants, gardens. Final design in June and a two year construction process that will go into 2013 and probably ready for the 2014 season, I think it sounds fast or close to normal - two and a half years from June.

They should put up a temporary stadium for 2011 and 2012 to get the on field product ready for the Grand Opening. Fans are going to lose interest waiting that long.

I've never understood that argument.

I once used the example of movies. You sometimes find out about movies being made years before they're released. Does that mean you lose interest in seeing them? Of course not.

The idea that people will lose interest only applies if the public is expected to buy tickets now. I am not excited today about a team in 2013, but as they hire a GM, then a coach, then sign their first few free agents, then have an expansion draft, then have a college draft, etc, excitement builds. It's not like we're going to wake up one morning and there'll be a game on.

See thats my thinking on why its taking so long. You die hard fans Im not worried about. Every year you don’t have football, you lose something.

When we had Comrie and Pezzim as owners out here in BC, we lost a generation of fans. It has taken 10 years to rebuild a fan base back to 30,000. In the 80’s, that fan base was over 45,000. BC Place had attendance over 50,000 for some games. Where did they all go? Two bad owners screwed it up over ten years. Its now been 4 years (?) that Ottawa has been gone and another three more to pass by. How many new fans have we missed? How many old fans have faded back into the “Wood work”?

I really want Ottawa to succeed this time around. I just worry the longer it takes, the harder the interest to buy tickets becomes.

2014???? WTH

Doug Flutie might be to old to QB at that time? Mind you he is pretty darn fit, but Michael Bishop will still be set to lead the team in 2014, so thats good news!

BTW when are they going to atleast change the name back to the Rough Riders (THEIR REAL NAME WITH THE RICH HISTORY)