Ottawa's GM

Ottawa’s GM will be officially introduced at 1;30
Heard it was going to be Marcel Desjardins which is surprising
after what he did with us i never thought he would get another GM position in this league
Anyone, thoughts ?

Any station carrying it ?

Maybe a station in Ottawa but most likely not

http://www.team1200.com/live/music-player/index.html

Congratulations and good for him. I hope it works out well-- it's important for the CFL that Ottawa's comeback is successful.

Interesting to see also if Ottawa picks up Ottawa native Marcel Bellfieulle as a coach

"Word around the CFL is the 46-year-old Desjardins was jacked around and undermined in his GM tenure in Hamilton in 2007. He shouldn't take the heat for the meddling of others higher up the food chain."
[url=http://forums.ticats.ca/viewtopic.php?p=1443747#p1443747]viewtopic.php?p=1443747#p1443747[/url]

Never mentioned anyone by name but painted a picture of a dysfunctional hierarchy where people jumped the chain of command messing up communication channels. Along with meddling and pressure to go with "names" instead of addressing position need. I don't doubt him one bit.

"Never mentioned anyone by name but painted a picture of a dysfunctional hierarchy where people jumped the chain of command messing up communication channels. Along with meddling and pressure to go with "names" instead of addressing position need. I don't doubt him one bit."

Among other things, Desjardins hired a bad coach while in Hamilton.

Easy enough to blame others to deflect the criticism. He then promptly went back to Montreal to work for Popp again. Don't be surprised if his old boss keeps his office in tact for the same thing to happen again.

Good luck, Ottawa.

Ottawa's Press Conference Video,

http://www.cfl.ca/video/index/id/82943/autostart/true

You mean the one O'Billovich confirmed and would later refuse to let go?
Hunt mentioned a four year contract and expect to be competing for GC in third year. Sound pretty fair to me.

"You mean the one O'Billovich confirmed and would later refuse to let go?
Hunt mentioned a four year contract and expect to be competing for GC in third year. Sound pretty fair to me."

Bob was hired only a week before. The coach only had a 3-15 record the previous season. Bob probably gave Taaffe the benefit of the doubt. Even Taaffe said himself that he was happy to stay.The losing continued and Bob had to clean up yet another mess left by Desjardins.

As far as not letting him go. Taaffe was under contract. Name me a GM in any league that would have allowed his head coach out of a contract to take a lateral position in the same league. Hmmm. Didn't think so.

Has Hunt owned a CFL team before? His is wishful thinking, especially if he thinks that Desjardins will deliver a Grey Cup for him in ANY year.

8) Bob Young himself was actively involved in the pursuit and hiring of Charlie Taaffe, along with Marcel !!
  This franchise had been the laughing stock of the CFL for 4 years before Desjardins was even hired, so don't try to 
   put any blame on Marcel for their demise.

Obie had the chance to get rid of Taaffe, but elected to stick with him.  Obie admitted to me later, that that was a 
     mistake on his part.

As far as letting Taaffe go to take a lateral position with another team, as you say, that was not true at all.  The 
       story was that Taaffe wanted to go back to US College Football after his first year here, and the Cats would not let
        him go !!!

This team was a joke before Marcel arrived, and they continue to be a joke long after he left !!!

Bob Young himself was actively involved in the pursuit and hiring of Charlie Taaffe, along with Marcel !!

This franchise had been the laughing stock of the CFL for 4 years before Desjardins was even hired, so don't try to put any blame on Marcel for their demise.

Obie had the chance to get rid of Taaffe, but elected to stick with him. Obie admitted to me later, that that was a mistake on his part.

As far as letting Taaffe go to take a lateral position with another team, as you say, that was not true at all. The story was that Taaffe wanted to go back to US College Football after his first year here, and the Cats would not let him go !!!

This team was a joke before Marcel arrived, and they continue to be a joke long after he left !!!

Yes, I would agree keeping Charlie Taaffe was a mistake, but Bob O'Billovich was on the job for only a week prior to this decision being made. Likely gave the coach the benefit of the doubt. That doesn’t make Obie a bad guy or a fool, other than he put too much faith in someone that Desjardins hired.

So much for your contention that Charlie Taaffe was going anywhere, or was even being pursued….

From CBC.CA

[b]“Team president Scott Mitchell told CBCSports.ca that he received a call from Taaffe, who said there was never a contract offer from the school.

"I can only tell you for a fact Charlie's not been offered a formal job or contract. No one's called for permission [to talk to Taaffe] about a job because he's under contract to us."

A CFL source requesting anonymity said Thursday that Taaffe's three-year deal with Hamilton signed prior to last season doesn't contain an escape clause that would allow him to leave for another job.

Mike Montoro, the director of football communications at the University of West Virginia, denied published reports that Taaffe had been hired.

"No, not at all … and it would come from me," Montoro told the Canadian Press. "It hasn't officially been released and no one has officially told me he's in the running for [offensive co-ordinator's job]."[/b]

Since Desjardins left and Bob O’Billovich took over the team had made the playoffs 3 times and even got to the eastern final. And beat the Als consistently. And as Bob departs (?), the teams now sports a potent offense, an effective special team. Yes, the defense needs work.

That doesn’t sound to me like a joke.