Ottawa??? what (new name)

Thank you Hamilton Tiger Cats for having a message board that has a board for the other teams on your site. Kudos to you. Thank you for including Ottawa. At the end of the day, it is the Ottawa fans that must support the Ottawa franchise. There were other issues in the team's demise but letting the Ottawa fans have a say in the teams name would go along way to Ottawa's return being successful. We need a strong CFL and Ottawa's return would be a positive step.

Quoted for common sense. :wink:

I still say: Treat seasons tickets like you would shares in the company. For every seasons ticket you purchase, you get a vote as to what the team’s name will be. Simple and fair.

I have been an Ottawa fan my whole life, I am 29 now.
If it is a new name I will still support the team.
If it is the Renegades I will still support the team.
But if it was my choice I would definitely go back to the Rough Riders.
That name to me has so much history and means so much to this team and city.
I mean how much would it cost to get that name back? it certainly isn’t doing any good in the mind of Mr Chen.
I just want football back in Ottawa, we really are football crazy here.

I’d like to figure out what Chen owns and what he doesn’t. Does anyone know where to look that up?

As far as I understand it, he simply owns the rights to the logo, for which, he wanted $1 million dollars. (insert cameo of Dr. Evil raising his pinky finger to his lip)

I fully admit I could be completely wrong on this, but that's how I understood it.

Nope - I'm wrong. He apparently owns the rights to the name as well. There's an article that appeared in the November 2002 issue of Ottawa life that talks about it.

Bummer.

I wrote to the Canadian Trademark Database and asked for a little help figuring out the status, simply explaining that I’m not real experienced with these things. I’ll see what they have to say.

How about River Raiders. Keeps the double R motif going.

No Raiders. Id rather see Rats,Rodents, something else. Too NFL like Raiders.

i say the name should be the Ottawa No Shows. 2 failed teams, owners who give up on them, and a crappy fan basin. how bout we find a city that actually wants a team.

mmm... Ottawa Origamis.

'cuz they keep folding
. Ouch. Sorry just couldn't resist. :twisted:

Is it safe to say, that for most of us, all that matters is getting a team back in Ottawa? The naysayers notwithstanding.

I definitely would not want to see the Renegade name again. My first choice would be the "RR", it has a great tradition.

Exactly ! Bring back the Ottawa Rough Riders ! I find it interesting that it’s mostly the other teams fans that don’t want the name back. Let me say this, those fans would be upset if their teams’names were changed to something other than the traditional names i.e Blue Bombers, Eskimos, Stampeders etc…

Goody....a bumping of this irrelevant thread

GO RIDERS GO!!!

Yeah, but at least you’re original about it, unlike the guy before you and his “fan basin”. :roll:

hey the "Ottawa no shows" is pretty original. just giving reason y i choose the name.

Please not Rough Riders! The Rough Riders died a horrible death and were burried.

The Renegades were put "on hold" by the CFL, so technicaly you could resurrect the name again. The logo was the best one in the CFL.

Other than that, you could go with a new different name than can get everyone in (including the 1/4 of the population in the area that speaks french).

Names like Rottweilers (change the red to tan, with black and white), Revolvers and other "R" names that can appeal to all is fine with me.

Rough Riders being the worst one.

That being said, EVEN if they finally end up as the Rough Riders, I will buy season tickers and cheer for them.

If the Rough Rider name is not brought back, I would rather see Renegades than a third name, although Renegade-Riders would be acceptable.

Are there any other Ottawa (or area) fans that are against Rough Riders as a name?