Ottawa vs Montreal

I think this is the IT game for Tom Higgins, another bad showing in front of the home crowd leading to a seventh consecutive loss and the team won't have a choice but to give him his walking papers...

I agree. Ottawa coming here on a short week. No better time to make it happen.

Man i was just one argo loss away from winning my bet with Rick Moffat. Glad to see we’re not the only ones struggling. go als go!

I would have to agree. Enough would be enough. I do not see Popp taking over as HC in this situation however. Rather Thorpe taking the interim tag. While still being the DC as well. Moving one of the part time teams coaches taking the teams full time.
Leaving the offense in the hands of the newly added addition’s of Garcia and Shonert along with Dinwiddie. Garcia has a ton of experience playing Qb in the CFL and have been coaching up QBs for a few years now on the side. Shonert no CFL expereince but plenty as a OC and QB coach in south of the border.

A type of co coaching situation for the O and D

Problem is we have a million O coaches, but no so much on D. Nominating Thorpe would have him spread thin, as Dinwiddie was to start the season, not a recipe for success. IMO sadly the best option would be to bring in Popp, once again, to finish the season… as foolish as they will look for having to do so for the umpteenth time.

I do agree with you, G Man, about Jim Popp being a better option,at least for now, than Tom Higgins.

Rather than the unveiling of a new uniform, I would have much preferred the followings:

Unveiling of a new Head Coach/Jim Popp replacing Tom Higgins.

Unveiling of a new KR replacing Larry Taylor.

Unveiling of a new WR replacing Chad Johnson and Kerry Stafford.

Unveiling of a new DT replacing Jermaine McElveen and Scott Paxson.

Unveiling of a new CB replacing Mitchell White.

These options will have to be addressed in the next games, if the Als care/want to be in the playoffs.

Richard

Now this is just an opinion but if I am Jim Popp, there is NO way I'm stepping into this mess after what transpired in the off season. NOT a chance.

Much different scenario this year. Last year Popp probably felt partly responsible for the Hawkins hiring. This year, nada.

I dont think it will come to this as Mr. Wetenhall will not want to swallow another coachs salary or go through the embarrassment of firing 2 head coaches in 2 years.

We never heard a contract length when Higgins was signed and I am guessing it might have been for only one year.

Cant wait to pick up my gross Alouettes military jersey at my Sports Experts 75% off in december.

Agreed. That’s how I’ve felt too. This mess was not of his making. Why should he step in and clean up Wetenhall’s mistake after being iced out of the HC hire process? If they can Higgins, they’d better either have a good candidate lined up to replace him, or else be prepared to ride out the year with Turk Schonert or someone as interim HC until they can make a proper hire in the offseason. I highly doubt Popp is going to step in.

According to RDS, Chad Johnson is practicing.

[url]http://www.rds.ca/football/alouettes/des-blessés-de-retour-1.1336144[/url]

That should help the team.

If only they would have been of green military jerseys to blend in with the turf… the receivers might have been able to get open a little more.
Another missed opportunity. :wink:

Else they can at the very least make the seats with the same blue military print… so fans can hide when they can smoked at home. :oops:

Seriously though, if Crompton turns out to be a decent QB option… the season can be turned around bringing in a few NFL cuts, and the HC change. Sadly the NFL is expanding it’s roster limit, but should still be some guys available who would be upgrades on some guys here who need to go, as Rich listed above.

Bah... The offense is a mess. How can anyone game plan against Winnipeg and not pound the ball on the ground ??? Sutton didn't get a touch till almost half time and was mostly used as a receiver while they run Brandon between the tackles ??? Then they pull Brinx out and TADA ! They bring out Sutton but abandon the running game.

Garcia stated the offense was way too complicated and would not be able to run it himself (and that's a month after Dinwiddie simplified it...) Smith regressed, now we'll throw Crompton in there who has some skills but lacks touch and throws so hard that the balls are literally bouncing off receivers.

On defense Thorpe's defense is still unable to stop anyone on second and long for the second consecutive year and now we can't get to the QB because offenses are widening their protection and we can't push up the middle without bringing in LB and leaving large swats of turf completely open.

Special Teams is a mixed bag. kicking and cover teams have been better mostly because Whyte improved but return game is no better than last year.

So much so that O Shea opted to punt the ball out of their end zone not once but twice and all the Als could muster were 3 pts.
No fear of the Als offense at this point.

That’s when he wasn’t going for it on third down

De retour de l'étranger, j'ai pu regarder les désastres des dernières semaines.

Nous avions déjà dit que la saison 2014 était à oublier, c'est clairement une réalité.

Je salue les efforts de la défensive qui manifestement travaille dur pour se garder un minimum de dignité. C'est d'autant plus à son honneur qu'elle a tout de même limté les Roughriders à 16 points et les Bou! Bombers à 24 points chez eux.

Je me disais qu'il faudrait attendre à ce moment-ci de la saison pour se faire une vraie idée de l'équipe, particulièrement de l'équipe d'entraîneurs. Force il est de constater que Tom Higgins n'a plus ce qu'il faut pour diriger une équipe de football, à commencer par les contacts dans le monde du football. Il n'a pas pu garnir l'équipe et c'est Popp qui a dû piger dans ses contacts pour tenter de redresser quelque chose.

Le congédiement de Campbell est à mon avis une bonne chose, en espérant que Schonert peut remettre cette unité sur les rails. Depuis la venue de Campbell, nos receveurs étaient en constante régression. J'espère maintenant qu'on réservera le même sort au paresseux inutile qui déshonore présentement le chandail #85. Au moins, celui qui le portait avant lui ne ménageait pas ses efforts et n'avait pas la bêtise de croire que son seul nom suffisait pour attraper des ballons.

Ce que nous pouvons constater, c'est que tout comme les Bou! Bombers il n'y a pas si longtemps, les Alouettes pourraient avoir une meilleure fiche avec une attaque simplement décente. Mais voilà, les Alouettes n'ont aucune attaque, et encore moins un entraîneur-chef qui peut les aider à s'améliorer de ce côté. Il est donc clair maintenant que le contrat de Higgins va prendre fin avant 2015. Le prochain entraîneur-chef devra être capable de construire une unité d'entraîneurs à l'attaque de premier plan, faute de quoi il ne devrait pas être embauché, et l'embauche du prochain entraîneur-chef devrait d'ores et déjà être confiée à Popp, avec comme signal qu'il ne fait pas partie des candidats envisageables. Ceci aurait le mérite d'être clair et permettrait à Popp de donner aux candidats l'assurance nécessaire qu'il ne leur soufflera pas dans le cou pour leur soutirer leur poste. En s'attelant à cette tâche dès à présent, Popp devrait avoir plus de succès qu'en 2013.

Ceci nous mène à la prochaine partie. Les Alouettes vont envoyer Crompton dans la mêlée, ce qui à mon sens, montre qu'ils ont déjà capitulé pour cette partie et pour la saison. D'accord, Brink ne leur a pas donné quoique ce soit pour le remettre sur le terrain cette semaine, mais considérant que Crompton est suprêmement vert, je vois mal comment interpréter autrement ce signal.

Je crois que les Alouettes perdront aussi cette partie. Une attaque en déroute ne peut réussir dans la LCF, même contre une équipe en construction comme les Afro-Communistes. La différence : les entraîneurs et le quart-arrière. Le groupe d'entraîneurs d'Ottawa est beaucoup plus aguerri que celui des Alouettes. Pour le reste, ces équipes s'équivalent passablement, sauf au niveau du quart-arrière. Avec un quart aussi vert que Crompton aux commandes, les minces chances des Alouettes se sont amincies davantage.

Il semble que les Alouettes n'aient pas le choix que de tester Crompton, mais il faudra tout de même avoir une certaine indulgence avec lui. Pour ma part, je n'ai pas encore vu chez lui des signes suffisamment prometteurs qui me laissent croire qu'il pourra être un bon partant, contraitement à l'impression que Reilly m'avait laissée, par exemple. Je crois qu'il pourra être éventuellement un bon substitut, mais pas tellement plus. Je souhaite ardemment qu'il me fasse mentir, mais je ne crois pas que c'est cette saison que ça va arriver. Cela dit, je crois que les Alouettes devront prendre une décision pour le poste de quart et s'y tenir. Ou on décide de donner à Crompton une vraie chance de gagner de l'expérience et on le garde sur le terrain pendant plusieurs parties pour qu'il ait une chance de s'améliorer, ou bien on en fait une projet futur et on table sur un autre partant. Brink n'a pas saisi son opportunité, même si j'estime qu'on l'a placé dans une situation où il était presqu'impossible de réussir. Si on veut dire que Brink n'est pas la solution et que Marsh n'est pas encore la solution, qu'on laisse au moins à Crompton assez de temps de jeu pour qu'il puisse s'améliorer.

Ce que j'aimerais voir dans cette partie, c'est que l'attaque puisse soutenir plusieurs séquences de jeu, ce qui serait déjà une amélioration. J'aimerais voir un jeu au sol qui puisse fonctionner, mais avec les receveurs que nous avons, il n'est pas nécessaire de le couvrir outre mesure, ce qui permet de fermer la ligne d'engagement pour le jeu au sol. Tout le monde dans la ligue l'a compris.

Défensivement, j'aimerais voir une amélioration sur les 2ièmes et long. Si les Alouettes peuvent améliorer ce point, la défensive aura plus de réserves en fin de partie, ce qui pourrait donner quelques victoires, les fois où l'attaque sera capable de mettre 20 points au tableau.

Sur les unités spéciales, j'aimerais seulement voir des unités spéciales. Ce serait déjà une grosse amélioration.

Haha i sold my fridays tickets to some guy who was giving them away as a wedding gift!!! I feel sorry for thr bride and groom !!!!

I've noticed some of Garcia's influence in Montreal's play, in a very positive way. If Crompton had a bit more speed, he'd be great. In the last game I noticed that on one diagonal run in the opposition side of the field. A bit more fast twitch from the leg muscles would have had him in end zone.

I’m seeing Garcia’s influence in the last game in appositive way. Balls that bounce off receivers - not Crompton’s fault.

According to Herb, FB Dahrran Diedrick won't play -concussion- friday, same with KR/WR Larry Taylor-knees- -I suppose that he could go to 6 game injured list- Best option. Aaron Lavarias-knees- is also doubtful. Marc Olivier Brouillette will be added to roster and most probably WR/KR James Rodgers will replace Larry Taylor. I presume that DE Brian Brikowski will replace Aaron.

Richard

I believe there will be a West cross over this season. Possible neither team will have a play off game.