Ottawa Rough Rider Named Vetoed

Ya, but at least you argue in good threads…It could have been 1000 posts for expansion to White Horse or another goofy place! :wink: :wink:

Sigh, I guess I will remain the only lonely voice in the Wilderness that hates the concept of two teams with the same name.

Well not the only one, the Rider Nation seems to be on board!

Its really Bush League to have two teams with the same name!

I don't sympathize with Ottawa Rough Riders fans on this issue. I don't see why you couldn't embrace tradition and bring the old RR uniforms but use the Renegades name. Its not rocket science people. The Rough Riders franchise deviated soooo much (see link to follow) from the original traditions they had established that it's hardly worth getting upset over from anyones perspective. After all, don't you want your own NEW identity to be what sets the tone for a ONE LAST CHANCE, SUCCESSFUL kick at the ol' can?

[url=http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=24042]http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?name=PNphpB ... ic&t=24042[/url]

kel

1. The League owns the name - the new owners and the fans have no ability to make the league do anything, other than request permission to use the name as a license, as part of its franchise agreement.

2. The franchise agreement between the ownership group and the league is subject to approval by the league's existing teams. I believe a 6 of 8 majority is required for approval.

3. Saskatchewan's "condition" - it can't reject or disallow the use of the name any more than the fans in Ottawa can claim it. What it can do, as an organization is to say that it's vote to approve the franchise agreement between Ottawa and the League will be conditional on the nickname of the team NOT being Rough Riders. If it is, they vote against. But that is the extent of what Sask. can do. If it is approved 7-1, I don't think they would have further recourse.

I have come up with a few alternative name suggestions, in no particular order:

Ottawa All Wets
Ottawa Argo Nots
Ottawa Tigercats
By Town Bluebombers
Ottawa Ex Schemers
Ottawa Stamp Eaters
BT Lions
Ottawa Not too Rough Riders
By Town Bi Sexuals (BC may veto that one)

And my favorite:

Ottawa Rouge Riders

Don’t worry, Sportsman, I’m with ya!

If RR has been vetoed by Saskatchewan, I can’t say I’m disappointed. It would have been better for the Ottawa owners and fans to have arrived at the conclusion on their own. Being told you can’t do something is a sure-fire way to generate bad feelings in a market where the league can’t afford to fail.

I’m still behind Ottawa Riflemen :slight_smile:

I don’t understand what was so bad about Ottawa Renegades. :expressionless:

There are some who feel it’s entirely synonymous with losing and badly-run teams.

The Rough Riders, at least, had success even if it was a long time ago. But even when they lost for a while they had that “lovable loser” thing going. Most believe don’t believe it, but they were still drawing well right up until the Gliebermans threatened to move the franchise.

I guess what I’m trying to say is this: I believe very few people have pleasant memories of the Renegades whereas many do of the Rough Riders despite the silliness in their last few years.

I remember watching the last Rough Rider game on TV, with David Archer running along the sidelines high-fiving fans after a most improbable win in their final game of both that miserable season, and of the franchise.

I think he had to hit the 30 yard line before he found someone to clap hands with.....

They lost their last four home games but the last one was 30-29 against Winnipeg. That’s probably what you’re remembering.

I admit that I have very little memory of the last part of the season. My last recollection is of the home game against Montreal where the league had set an attendance and revenue target for the franchise to continue until the end of the year. Taht was in August, I think. After that, it’s all a blur, but that’s probably a good thing.

From what I remember, Ottawa was the roughies, and Sask the riders.

Bring back the R on the helmet and those old uniforms and call them the Roughies. Problem solved.

CRF...that must have been what I remembered....hazily remembered, apparently.

Well, you’re still ahead of me…I had to look it up. :wink:

I'm with you on that piggy. I earlier suggested the "Ruffians" (an old French word), which could be spelled "Roughians". Fans could then refer to them as the "Roughies".

I remember watching because of all the speculation that the Riders would then get Archer as first pick in the dispersal draft…until, of course, Archer went on record stating something to the effect that he’d rather stick pins in his eyes than go to yet another horror-show of a franchise…

Thus the CFL gave the Riders the first 2 picks in the dispersal draft, where they took Archer (and we all know how that worked out), and then Lamarr McGriggs.

They're the Ottawa Rough Riders.. they always have been. That's what football is in this town.

They've been around longer than the Prarie Dogs, and if it weren't be inept ownership the team would have never left.

The Rough Riders still had attendance well over 20-22K in their final years in the mid 90's, all this after not having a winning season since 1979! Nobody can call into question the fan support of the Riders.

The Riders name is still prominent in the city's football scene:

Myers Riders, and
Ottawa Junior Riders .. Competing in tyke, mosquito, pee-wee, bantam, midget, junior varsity, varsity, and junior programs.

Don't tell me this name won't reasonate with the younger generation!!

Both teams using familiar Black, Red and White colours.

And BTW, Ottawa has the largest amatuer football organization in the country, with an exploding high school scene. The potential is limitless in this market.

Ottawa is Rough Rider country.

I suppose you have a point there…

I wouldn’t be able to take a team seriously with a name like Roughies or Roughians. That just sounds silly. :lol:

IMO you are sooooooo wrong Artie. And the sooner you quit masquerading as a genius the better off we’ll all be. HORN CHEN OWNS THE RIGHTS TO THE NAME!!! If you can not provide a link stating that the league owns the rights, then I’ll assume what I know about Horn Chen is true. Post a link, and prove to me otherwise, instead of expecting me and everyone else to trust your posts. Otherwise it’s just more useless junk made in Hamilton.

kel

Add up the years Mr. Barnes! Your hiatus away from the league has changed your favorite old statistic that you have been operating longer than Saskatchewan. The Riders have got you there now!!!

kel

IS that really necessary?