Ottawa loses bid group "Golden Gate" ?

According to this morning's Globe and Mail, Golden Gate will likely withdraw it's bid for the Ottawa franchise today.....

click here

One of the other groups will snap up Jeff Hunt, I'm sure, at least they should I believe. Too bad though, I hope the guy at GG with cancer gets better, all the best to you, whoever you are.

I believe this group had far deeper pockets, as well.

This is a big blow to Ottawa's chances
of soon re-aquiring a CFL franchise.

Supposedly one of the individuals in the GG bid is currently the subject of a criminal probe thus squelching the deal in question.

Maybe it time to Forget Ottawa..
Try to land a 2nd Team Quebec Where Football is Thriving..
Ottawa is now a Hockey Town..
I don't see any Hunger for football in Ottawa
Can anyone Prove me Wrong ?

I wouldn't think so.

As sad as it is - Ottawa has likely seen it's last CFL team. The market, just isn't there any longer.

Time to move on.

Sorry Ottawa,but lets move on(forward)
Lets look farther east,..Quebec City and Halifax is perfect.!

No market in Ottawa? What? They were averaging about 18,000 I think with crap owners and with a deal from the CFL that basically made them get a non-contending playoff team right from the start.
CFL football can work in Ottawa with decent owners and with the CFL seeing that they don't get out of the gate with a ton of bricks laiden on them.

As sad as it is - Ottawa has likely seen it's last CFL team. The market, just isn't there any longer.

That reminds me.... there was once a team with 15 000 season tickets, no ownership, and had donation tins in the local coffee shops.

Where are they now? They have stable ownership, season ticket holders that -- if I recall correctly -- basically pay the bills, and are committed to getting better.

I still like Halifax, but they do not have a stadium. Yet.

If GG is gone, then I think the CFL blew it. GG from what I am hearing wanted to go for next year,but palmer's group says they can't do it till 08,sounds like a set up to me. It just proves the CFL is run by a pack of idiots, if they pick a bunch of american investors to run the team.

It is official now (TSN, CBC) that Golden Gate did in fact withdraw today.....

....too bad because they sounded like a very solid bid group.

Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

Unless there's more to the story, it doesn't sound to me like they backed out because of anything the CFL did or didn't do.
Also, I think it was d'Angelo's group that was shooting for next year. But I think they're cheetah-ing.

pikk wrote:

It just proves the CFL is run by a pack of idiots, if they pick a bunch of american investors to run the team.

Idiots if the group of American investors is classy and very well heeled with a well thought out business plan? Give me a break, we don't necessarily need Canadian owners for CFL teams to succeed, we just need quality owners, that's all.

Why not wait to see how things pan out before calling people idiots.

I was a season ticket holder in ottawa,so in other words I have seen enough BS to last a lifetime.But it turns out he has cancer and that is terrible.But with palmers group,it is said they are american investors,so what happens in 3 years and the team is losing money ,do they just say sorry ,we are out of here.

I am shure Bob can tell us that Running a CFL Team is not Easy.
Even with the Right People in Place.
Ottawa has Never had this.
Thery Will be No Football in Ottawa for While.
Hard Times in Ottawa for Football Fans..
I have Idea Become Ticats Fans..

Cause Ottawa will not be back atleast for 5 Years I Fear.

Many thanks to the CFL's Minitrue Rewrite committee for demonstrating yet again that McMahon's imaginary VOLS blew another "scoop" -- that being of course the Golden Gate group supposedly landing the new Ottawa franchise "unofficially" weeks ago... :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Oski Wee Wee,