Ottawa is back

I will believe their back, when their back. :wink:

why can't they be called Renegades, but have uniforms that look like the pics above posted by captainkirk?

saves the embarrassment of adding a 3rd team name to ottawa's football history, yet also takes on the classic look ottawa is known for.

after a few winning season and a professionally run organization, people will quickly forget the short and lousy history of the original incarnation of the Renegades.

heck, it worked for the alouettes. montreal didn't add a 3rd team name to their history.

The commish has already said that they can’t bring back the Rough Riders and Jeff Hunt has said they won’t bring back the Renegades - since the Renegades has nothing to do with Jeff Hunt or OSEG. It will begin with “R”

Here is the poll in the Ottawa Sun

[url=http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/10/10/what-would-you-name-ottawas-new-football-team]http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/10/10/wha ... tball-team[/url]

More news here and the timelines:

[url=http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/10/10/lansdowne-project-a-go]http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/10/10/lan ... oject-a-go[/url]

The “River Riders” after all the great loggers that built that area.

I like.............. "The Regiment" ,
Ottawa has a close connection to the military, Lansdowne Park was where the RCR assembled and marched off on to the trains that took them to WWI. Ottawa has a large number of military personnel.

Perfect catfish, I love that one! :thup:

8) As of right now, all we know for certain is the new name will start with, R.
  So as mentioned above, River Riders, or Regiment, are a distinct possibilty !!!

Or how about The Ottawa River Rats    <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: -->  <!-- s:wink: -->:wink:<!-- s:wink: -->

you mean “Rough Riders” :stuck_out_tongue:
Did Chen not declare corporate bankruptcy though?
If so, then preferred creditors and asset tenders would have rights to the name I would imagine.

to my recollection, Mr. Chen was an unusual fellow…an enigma wrapped around a hermit.

8) Right....Rough Riders !!!
 No, Horn Chen did not declare bankruptcy.  The CFL revoked his ownership at the time, but the CFL was not smart 
  enough to retain the name "Rough Riders" when they kicked Chen out.  He still holds the rights to the name !!!

This guy actually started the CHL, and even today he is a minority owner of the Columbus Blue Jackets of the NHL !!

He is an absentee owner at it's finest !!

As I mentioned above, he is willing to sell back the name Rough Riders to Ottawa for a few hundred thousand bucks.
   He is still bitter about how the CFL handled the whole situation, regarding revoking his ownership.

How about the Ottawa Rip-off artists as in they keep stikin stealing all of our players. :wink:

unbelievable that the CFL would revoke Chen’s ownership stake, yet neglect the Rough Rider trademark name.

major gaffe. :o

I thought I read somewhere that the Ottawa ownership group bought the rights to the name of Horn Chen and they plan to relesase retro RR merch along with the new team stuff.

hmmmm…The Horn Chen Football Club.

nah, I don’t like it.

If I recall correctly, the problem wasn’t that the CFL didn’t retain the rights to the name when the franchise was revoked, it’s that they didn’t own the rights to the name when he bought the team in the first place. He bought the team and the name came with it. The CFL revoked his franchise, but he still owned the assets, such as they were. One of those assets was the name and trademark.

Just realised that there is no way to edit posts once they're posted, strange, most message boards allow that.
Anyway, they bought the name FROM Horn Chen.

sorry SR, I just couldn’t resist. :wink:

You can edit your post until there is a post made after yours

Edited for realism…lol

Doesn’t matter, because the CFL and Sask have both stated that Ottawa will not use the Rough Riders name.
I am sure it will be a name beginning with “R” so they can keep the R

Yes, I know that. I was originally making the point that the owners bought the rights to the name, not to name the new team, but to be able to sell retro RR merch (something I remember reading, I believe Jeff Hunt was quoted to have said that).

Of all the suggestions on that survey, there is a heavy bias toward names involving logging, as the original Rough Riders name was. The only one that starts with an R is also the only one that I like, the Rideaus. Sounds like something they’d have called the team in the 1890s. Original, in a sort of, lazy, unoriginal way, if that makes any sense. Has connections to the old name. Not sure it’ll go down well with the kids, but I like it.