Ottawa Fans What to you think of the Glieb's?

As much as I dislike the ownership group in Ottawa and think they need new ownership all of this talk of the Gliebermans getting involved scares the poop out of me! I hope the league takes the same approach as they did with Argos and the :shock: TigerCats :shock: (need an emoticon for someone spitting before they say a bad word like :shock: TigerCat :shock: ). Wait and get the right people in place, if you have to step in to run the team for a period, so be it. Just get decent ownership not ‘just’ ownership.

There’s an article regarding that matter today in the Globe and Mail. It says the league has no right to take control of a team before it skips a payroll.

So as long as the urrent owners pay the players, they are free to run garage sales, give two jobs to underperforming staff and flirt with the Gliebs.

Why not? They must have a franchise agreement and this agreement must say something about how they run the franchise. I know of plenty of businesses that have stepped in and taken over franchises when they have been detrimental to either the corporate image or not performing up to standards. If this isn’t the case with the CFL then shame on them - but in a way it wouldn’t surprise me because the Ottawa franchise was granted by Mike Lysko and not the current commissioner of the CFL.
Do you have a link for the strory?

Why not? They must have a franchise agreement and this agreement must say something about how they run the franchise. I know of plenty of businesses that have stepped in and taken over franchises when they have been detrimental to either the corporate image or not performing up to standards. If this isn’t the case with the CFL then shame on them - but in a way it wouldn’t surprise me because the Ottawa franchise was granted by Mike Lysko and not the current commissioner of the CFL.
Do you have a link for the strory?

Ahhhhhhhhh…Now this site too quick LOL!!! Ican’t believe I double posted and it didn’t take an hour!

It’s funny because when I accessed that story this morning, no membership was required. But as I just tried to track it back, the site told me I needed to register to access content. Obviously, CFL.ca isn’t the only site being transformed today.

So you may have to register, but it’s free.

Here’s the aforementioned story :

[url=http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Page/v4/reg/interestsPage]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... erestsPage[/url]

The URL looks pretty vague, so if it leads nowhere, just go to www.theglobeandmail.com, click on subtitle “Sports” and scroll down to find the article called “CFL casting net for new owners”.

Thanks -" Under terms of the CFL constitution, the league has no right to step in and take over a franchise unless the club misses a payroll." I think it is time to ammend that constitutional entry. But as it stands that is the rule so they will have abide by it.

Maybe Eugene Mylnik would like the Gades now that the Senators are on the sidelines?
Anyway, I don’t like the idea of having an ‘ownership group’. One guy with a lotta money and a passion for the CFL is what is needed.

Ownership group has been working fine here in Calgary HF, most of these groups do not enter lightly into this sort of thing. One guy with money doesn’t necessarily equal a good thing, ala the Feterik years…

Before we all dump on the Glieberman’s so quickly, consider this: They have deep pockets and a passion for the CFL. Isn’t that really what the league wants in an owner? Remember that the Glieberman’s were not the ones who folded the old Ottawa Rough Riders, that was the invisible Horn Chen. Their only mistake was getting too involved in the daily operations of the club.

Now, if the Gliebs were allowed to purchase a 50% stake in the Renegades, they would be unable to interfere with the football operations as they wouldn’t hold a majority stake. Also, the terms of the purchase agreement could specify that they would not be allowed to make football decisions for the club. So why not let them have a shot at buying a portion of this club? It would at least stabilize the ownership situation and look at all the free publicity they’re getting? I don’t think the Gades have been in the paper this much…well, ever! To get the publicity machine back on their side, all they’d have to do is upon the announcement of the deal simply state that they are there to stabilize the team, they won’t interfere with the football operations and they are committed to keeping the team in Ottawa and bringing a winner back to Bank Street. Sounds good to me

Horus is absolutely right. Right now if you’re a Ren fan you gotta be thinking ‘please, when are the Gleibs coming?!’…right now you need cash, and they can do that. As far as CFL franchise rules, anyone who comes forward with a cheque can buy a team. Unlike the NFL where a prospective owner has to be voted into the ability to buy a team by the other owners. I heard today the Gades based their system on the salary (joke) cap and obviously this isn’t working. So you either need an owner with deep pockets or an enforcable cap…or Ottawa is toast…they won’t fold befor ethe end of the season, but it won’t look good for '06 and the league cannot afford to have them fold again…

OK… Here’s the backbone info on the whole Glieberman’s era in Ottawa. I worked for the Roughie’s from the Paul Robson take over to the sale from Bernie to Bruce Firestone.

1. At the time the mayor of Ottawa was a c#*t named Jacqueline Holtzman. She said “I don’t care if sports exist in Ottawa, it’s a political town not a sports town”. She charged the teams such a ridiculous rent in Lansdowne Park that NOBODY could make money there. Thus the reason the Sen’s left the Civic centre way to early and moved to the Coral Centre. Almost killing the NHL in Ottawa again.
  2. Bernie proposed to purchase Lansdowne Park from the city. In doing so he would not have to pay rent and could eventually have made a profit. (THE ONLY WAY A PROFIT COULD HAVE BEEN MADE IN THAT STADIUM AS PROVEN BY NO OWNERS MAKING A PROFIT IN OTTAWA TO DATE!) He had plans drafted to redo the Cattle Castle, update the Civic centre inside, build a hotel with multi level parking and improve the stadium to a wrap around with the option of a dome in the future. The mayor refused to entertain the idea due to her lack of concern for sports existing in Ottawa. So… Bernie could never make a profit or even come close! Who in their right mind would keep throwing money out the window like that??? Micheal Copeland out right refused to buy the team for these same reasons! Bruce Firestone sold the team cause he lacked the funds to maintain the frequent losses. Noone bad mouths them for some reason.
  3. Bernie is a smart business man thus why he is a self made millionaire! NO smart business man wants to keep losing money. If he was to take over Ottawa again and the city didn’t screw him he would make a fantastic and highly financially stable owner which the team hasn’t had since he left. Sure people didn’t like Lonnie cause he made a lot of scenes to the press. But on the other hand, the people in Ottawa all knew who owned the team then cause they were always in the Sun and Citizen!
    I say give them a chance and let them run with the ball. It’s better then losing the team again and the league falling apart. Whats next Edmonton joins the East cause all the East teams fold due to ownership problems!

You’ve got a good point Coach_B. I didn’t know the history. Hmmm, well, lets let the Gliebermans have shot at it… :?

I moved to Ottawa 4 years ago. I have season tickets since day 1 of the “rebirth” of Ottawa football. I do not have all the bitter feelings of the fans who lost their team once already. All I know is things have to change from top to bottom if we don’t want to lose the team again. So if it takes the Gliebermans so be it. If push comes to shove I think the CFL will step in to fix things the way they did in Toronto and in Hamilton. Until the team as a winning season I think the stands will stay empty :frowning: It takes momentum. It’s just in the wrong direction right now.
PS sorry for the spelling I am French Canadian

The coach lays out some good points, good to know.

While the Gliebermans are scary…(Return of Forest Gregg?) This current group seems unbelievable. I do need an education…Is it lack of fans that have sent the current ownership into tight money control policy? Is it the ownership that have driven the fans mad? Just looking from the outside in, the Ticket prices seem a bit on the expensive side. Was that the start of this ugly process?

I wasn’t feeling confident watching the reports on Sportscentre tonight.
The commisioners statement didn’t make me do cart wheels either.

Ottawa fans…Fill me in… What’s up?

I agree…give the Gliebermans another shot. Obviously they have an interest in CFL football if they keep coming back. Imagine if they turn things around and generate positive publicity this time around. One thing is for sure…they do generate publicity. Lets not forget that Ottawa has a deep tradition in the CFL. The question of whether fans support the game keeps coming up? The CFL has been in that city for many years. Management has to stop blaming the fans and get their s__t together.

The Glieberman’s not only have a huge passion for the CFL, they also have the cash to make this team survive. They made mistakes in the past, but by Lonie Glieberman’s own admission, his biggest business failure was with the Rough Riders. He wants to turn that around this time. I welcome them, and hope that they can bring a winning team to this great city. I also hope that they reduce the ticket prices. They are ridiculous. I’ll buy season tickets no matter what they cost, but other people won’t be so willing.

Alright please send a certified cheque for 2,856,941.78 plus GST for your tickets for 2005. Send your cheque to the attention of Brad Watters. Thank you for your support!

Coach hit the head on the nail! The glib’s may be the only option right now. It is to bad that someone locally could not come forward. But it is the glib show or no show IMO