Ottawa Citizen: Eskimos name offensive, should be changed.

[u]Edmonton, it's time to talk about your team name[/u]

[b]Ottawa’s football team is about to play a team called the Edmonton Eskimos. And yet the conversation we’re having about cultural appropriation is about … yoga classes?

If ever anything could be called “cultural appropriation?, it’s the widespread caricaturing of indigenous people in the world of North American professional sports.
It’s an honour for Ottawa to meet Edmonton’s team on the field, and may the best team win the Grey Cup on Sunday. And may they meet soon again, as the Ottawa Redblacks and the Edmonton … something else.

Leave aside the fact that many of the people to whom the word “Eskimo? has been applied, historically, do not identify that way. Whether the word is derogatory or not on its own, it is disrespectful as the name of a sports team.

The practice of naming teams after indigenous groups stems from a history of fetishizing indigenous people as noble savages, and of mocking the traditions and symbols of colonized peoples. The Edmonton Eskimos seem to have got their name based on the fact that Edmonton is farther north than Calgary; the idea behind the nickname is caricaturing, even if the logo is not.

Teams can change their names. The Nepean Redskins, here in Ottawa, have done it. Justice Murray Sinclair, who headed the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, has suggested that dehumanizing names and logos have an effect on young indigenous people. How do we weigh that against mere nostalgia and continuity in merchandising?

The editors of the Citizen and of the Edmonton Journal have placed bets of their own. Maybe we should have put the team name on the table; after all, the Edmonton Eskimos wouldn’t even need to change their logo, if they chose an alternative name.
But no matter who wins on Sunday, it’s time to put some traditions firmly in the past. Because it’s 2015.[/b]

[url=http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/edmonton-its-time-to-talk-about-your-team-name]http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/ ... -team-name[/url]

“And yet the conversation we’re having about cultural appropriation is about … yoga classes?”

Yeah. And just because that one is painfully ridiculous doesn’t make this one any less so.

Good grief. It seems like the folks at the Citizen has a mandate to write a minimum number of Grey Cup articles and they're cleary out of ideas.

Especially when the author even says there's nothing offensive about the logo.

I'm craving and eskimo pie now.

The article was trying for sarcasm after the uproar in Ottawa over the University of Ottawa's objection to Yoga

[url=http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/23/university-of-ottawa-cancels-yoga-classes-deemed-insensitive/]http://dailycaller.com/2015/11/23/unive ... sensitive/[/url]
The University of Ottawa’s Student Federation canceled a free yoga class it has sponsored for the past seven years because of concerns over cultural appropriation and exclusivity
Read the last sentence in the Ottawa Citizen article about the Eskimos:
Once we get the Eskimos out of the way, we can have a conversation about the Oilers.

The fact that it's difficult to identify as ironic illustrates what the real problem is.

And the Citizen were not the first to mention this "issue" so it that much more believable.

As a sign of solidarity with the Inuit people, I believe all those attending the Grey Cup in Winnipeg should pledge not to wear parkas, which were invented by ... you know who.

read the entire article again slim.
only the last line (re: Edmonton Oilers) was meant to be sarcasm.

This person has way to much time on their hands.

There are many problems in Canada.

This is not one of them.

YES I agree, that's why I said the article was "Trying for sarcasm" The Yoga thing has been in the news and on talk radio in Ottawa for the past week

NO the article was not "trying for sarcasm"
only ONE line was attempting sarcasm.

Montreal Canadians........as a Canadian I am offended to be characterized as a hockey player....no wait....

I’ve seen definitions of “Canuck” that are labelled as “occasionally offensive”.

Vancouver, I’m looking at you.

this won't change.

that guy needs to get a life.

Nobody likely cares, but here's an excellent editorial about the silly yoga rhubarb at the U of O over "cultural appropriation". :roll:

[url=http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2015/11/university_canceled_yoga_class_no_it_s_not_cultural_appropriation_to_practice.html]http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/ ... ctice.html[/url]

Along with all the perhaps more abundant crap in our American pop culture as occupies far too much of the day of millions thanks to the abundance of smartphones, file this one under "the economy is not bad enough quite yet" and "we are not quite yet at war."

Expect both of those situations to not be the case by 2017 with war in the Middle East well on course already. Then folks drop this crap for far more pressing concerns. Rinse and repeat it seems about every 8 years or so.

How about I take this more seriously when groups of Inuit raise some serious objections to the name. Not some privileged, white, PC driven do-gooder who assumes to speak on behalf of the supposed offended party.

Spot on. Ditto for many such matters also South of the border. Expletive off is the first thing that comes to mind when I read such drivel from far too many usually paid too much for whatever their position as some fake journalist/shill/hack/puppet/parrot. The good part is that when recession hits, these doofs are laid off too like the rest of us who actually do real sweat and/or stress work for a living, and they usually are not rehired down the road. :thup:

Lets see, we could go with :

EDMONTON GREENGOLDS

or

EDMONTON MARKS

A MARK is a term in Australian Football , when you catch the football after a kick.

I'd be more inclined to think it was a bleeding heart Liberal.

rhymes with orange wrote: How about I take this more seriously when groups of Inuit raise some serious objections to the name. Not some privileged, white, PC driven do-gooder who assumes to speak on behalf of the supposed offended party.
I'd be more inclined to think it was a bleeding heart Liberal.
I'm thinking that PC above, is for "Politically Correct", not PC for the party.

I would have to agree, too often there are people you just look for something to be offended by. There is enough crap in the world, we don't have to add to it.