Ottawa CFL ALIVE!!!: Citizen

Is this what good news feels like? It's been a while. :wink:

Actaully, this is fairly surprising. The part I listened to was not positive, but they were all people from the same Glebe groups rehashing the same old crap, so perhaps council took it for what it was.

Groovy.

Man, this waiting is killing me, almost as much as getting my own office on Thursday this week and not having to work with a bunch of women who gab and laugh, and make more money than me and do nothing but friggin bug me to all heck! Please Wednesday, come for this stadium thing in Ottawa and CFL return and for my own sanity at work come Thursday!!!!!!! Pleeeeeeeeeease. :?

The clincher???

McGuinty hints at provincial aid for stadium project

[url=http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/McGuinty+hints+provincial+stadium+project/1519714/story.html]http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/McGui ... story.html[/url]

By Ken Gray, The Ottawa Citizen
April 21, 2009 7:01 PM

[i]OTTAWA — Premier Dalton McGuinty left the door open Tuesday to provincial government assistance for an Ottawa stadium project.

“I look to the city to give me a good sense as to where they want to go,? McGuinty said in an e-mailed response to the Citizen.

“Once they have set their priorities and chosen their preferred proposals, let’s then sit down together," he added. "Obviously, we would also want to work with the federal government.?

Two proposals for professional sports stadiums are currently before Ottawa councillors, who are expected to vote on how to proceed at Wednesday’s council meeting.

Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk wants to build a $100-million soccer stadium in Kanata near his Scotiabank Place; Lansdowne Live, a consortium of prominent Ottawa businessmen, want to redevelop the park with a refurbished stadium that could accommodate a new Canadian Football League team.

The Lansdowne Live developers are asking the city to fix the crumbling Frank Clair Stadium for a conditional CFL franchise they have won. They estimate this will cost $97 million. The city estimates $125 million.

They also propose a mixed-use development at Lansdowne Park that would include retail and entertainment space, a hotel, office space, and some residential building at a cost of $120 million to them.

Two franchises, the Rough Riders (1876-1996) and Renegades (2002-06) have failed in Ottawa, but CFL commissioner Mark Cohon said with the right group in charge the league can flourish in the nation's capital.

I read a lot about what a stadium could cost Ottawa. What about what it will do for Ottawa?'' he in a news release. There is nothing I want to do more than bring a fun, successful, revenue-generating Grey Cup back to this city.''

Council is expected to support entering into negotiations with Lansdowne Live to refurbish the football stadium and allow other development, such as stores, restaurants, theatres and a hotel. Meanwhile, Melnyk said Tuesday that he “spent a lot of valued time (in Ottawa)? and he has “supported many great causes? in the city.

“This is the city in which I would like to focus my economic development and investment plans for years to come.?

Melnyk defended his proposal for a Major League Soccer franchise, adding: “I am confident in the proposal and will still stand behind it as we wait for Ottawa City Council to vote tomorrow.?

— With files from Marketwire

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen[/i]