Martin St-Louis Tampa Bay
Joe Thornton San Jose

2006 Olympic Team - Reserves

Player Team
Bryan McCabe Toronto
Jason Spezza Ottawa
Eric Staal Carolina

Any thoughts?

I personally think that Staal and Spezza should be on before Bertuzzi and Doan.

But I ain't gretz.

(I figured we could argue about something other then politics for a bit)

I dont think Toad Bertussi should be on the team.
He should be in jail and not on Canada's olympic hockey team

Agreed ro1313. Bertuzzi shouldn't be there.

McCabe should be one of the D. He has some pretty good stats and he always does well for Toronto.

And Luongo..... A couple nights ago he saved 53 of 55 shots! no joke!

Staal and Spezza should be on before Bertuzzi and Nash(whos been injured most of the year).

Actually, I was surprised Marleau wasn't included in the team.....

Solid team from the back end out. Canada should win Gold.

If they picked a second team, it also would be very solid....
Win or lose, man for man...Canada is #1 in hockey...

I don't think you will find any to disagree with you hank. At least not on here.

The squad looks alright. I do think Staal should be on there over Big Bert but at least he is on the taxi squad. I’ve watched a lot of Carolina games and Staal is the real deal. I agree with some of the analysts that this team could change because of injuries or that if someone on the squad is really playing bad they may have a mysterious upper-body injury allowing an opening for one of the stars on the taxi squad.

Doan & Draper made it for their defensive play and will be on the checking line. They have played well in the past for Canada.

Nash is one of the best players in the game when healthy and won’t go if not not healthy. He was one of the best players in the world championships this year. He was also tied for the most goals last time the NHL played and he was quite young when he did that.

Guys like Marleau and Marc Savard have played well this year but who do you drop for them? Canada has so much depth it’s hard for guys like that to make the squad.

GO CANADA GO!!!

Just maybe there is a couple of sucker's, I mean poster's, cheering for good Old USA..
Or there could be some of my brother's, from Mother Russia..looking for a fight.

What a 23 man second team roster might look like: (without a taxi squad on the first team)

Forwards
Spezza
Staal
Tanguay
Crosby
Marleau
Savard
Kariya
Shanahan
Madden
Morrow
Brindamour
Fisher
Williams

Defenseman
Mccabe
Phanuef
Hannan
Phillips
Boyle
Boucher
De Vries

Goalies
Joseph
Theodore
Garon

That's a pretty decent second team.....still heavily in contention.....

Here is the American team, I still like our second team better.

Goaltenders (3)
Rick DiPietro
Robert Esche
John Grahame

Defensemen (7)
Chris Chelios
Derian Hatcher
Jordan Leopold
John-Michael Liles
Aaron Miller
Brian Rafalski
Mathieu Schneider

Forwards (13)
Jason Blake
Erik Cole
Craig Conroy
Chris Drury
Brian Gionta
Scott Gomez
Bill Guerin
Mike Knuble
Mike Modano
Mark Parrish
Brian Rolston
Keith Tkachuk
Doug Weight

the US didn't pick Roenick, now hes angry so he said hes gonna cheer for Canada.

One of the lines should be :

Crosby, Staal, & Nash.

Think of the music they could make.

I heard a rumor on another site that Bert is going to be reviewed by the IOC due to the alleged criminal actions of what he did with the Moore lawsuit. Should be interesting what comes about from this review.

You've been ready too many of Turkeybends posts! :wink:

:) Thank you! At least Patty gets some credit outside of the SCV!!

(of course I think we all love our first line a little bit more now...Lil Thornton and Big Thornton are great together, and last game Cheechoo got some hats)

There is absolutely no argument against Bertuzzi in terms of overall skill, but the Moore incident puts everything in a completely different light.

I want to leave Bertuzzi alone because of his previous record being so clean and the fact that he paid his dues (albeit through lockout), but I would have loved to see The Next One play on them 100 foot rinks :slight_smile:

In my opinion, Canada will win the Gold, but they are making it harder on themselves than it should be.
What is Draper and Doan doing on the team. A checking line?
Who needs a checking line if you control the puck and never let the other team get going.
I would much rather see Staal, Spezza, Crosby, Marleau, Savard, Shanahan, Tanguay on the team than Draper who is a -6 on the might Red Wings and Doan who has done nothing this year.
You wouldn't even need a checking line with all the offence Canada can make! But it worked for Gretzky last Olympics and so until it doesn't work, they won't change there thinking.
Brodeur and Luongo will have to play better than they have been too for them to win.
And Blake, Foote, Jovanoski don't deserve to be on the defence either, but hey, it's Gretzky's call and like I said they will win Gold anyway, or they better!

The +60 Red Wings?