Orlondo Please Don't Go?!$

The Steinaur & Mc Phee Combo is improving everyday our Defence :thup: finish what you started we want a 15:3 team! It would be a shame to start from a Cat Scratch again :thdn: we are well on our way to becoming the #1 ranked D and next year with the Norwood / Hicky bookends ,sack kings :thup:

To :Caretaker and Coach Austin our coaching staff is just as or if not more important to retain than our FA players are ! Our Fans want and deserve stability of this Team Finally.....

I really understand the need to keep Steinaur on the coaching staff. BUT can you blame him if he gets the offer of HC for another organization. He has proven his worth both in Toronto and in Hamilton his time is coming. I dont see him making a lateral move to another team but........ Perhaps the Cats could tempt him with the additional title of Assistant head coach leaving KA with more time for his GM duties that might work........But I dont see KA wanting to give up the Head Coaching job any time soon.........

In my opinion, Steinauer is as good as gone. He is a fantastic coach, and Buono would be crazy not to hire him.

I'm sure Austin has already started his search for a new DC.

Defensive coaches often dont work as head coaches.

How much is directly attributable to Steinauer and how much is due to the superior players he has been given? He has six divisional all stars to work with.
Some wise person once said that coaches coach good players much better than they coach bad players.

here's a idea . move austin upstairs and make orlando hc and dc

Orlondo is in this business to achieve head coach status. If he goes to BC, I wish him well.

You could also say the same thing about Offensive coaches as well - George Cortez and Charlie Taaffe for example.

I think the coach's abilities as a head coach matter much more than how they were as a OC or DC. Neither of those roles is a predictor of success of a HC.

:cowboy:

Coach O is under Contract for another season so i don’t see the point of this thread

If Wally asked Kent for permission to interview Orlondo, it would be granted. Even though he is under contract to HAM for 2015, if the Lions want to hire him as HC they'd be able to.

Wally already said Coach O is not in the picture as he is still under contract with Hamilton

I wonder if Austin said no to a request, or B.C just didn't ask.

IMO if Steinauer is smart, he'll stay put, continue to build his resume, and wait for the right opportunity. If you look at Dickenson in Calgary, he's going to inherit a formidable team from Hufnagel because he hasn't gone chasing every HC opportunity that's come up.

Having said that, as an Als fan I sincerely hope Steinauer gets an HC gig, preferably in the west. :smiley:

If Wally said those words, I'd say he was choosing a nicer way to eliminate Orlondo's name from the speculation and media questioning than saying what he really meant -- He's not interested in interviewing him for the HC job. A TSN report, earlier in the week, said Wally planned to ask Huff for permission to talk to Dickenson. If that one's true, then the "still under contract" excuse doesn't cut it.

I agree with you.

Hopefully, for my team's perspective, Austin has already offered him the job in one to two years so he can then concentrate on his GM and executive roles. I have never been comfortable with a HC also being a GM. The reason? As a HC one has to build the player up by positive reinforcement. As a GM, one has to point out the negatives in a player's tool kit in order to get the best deal from a contract perspective. Definitely a conflict there. Some can be successful at it (it looks Austin is one from the results so far) but having two separate individuals in each role is more likely to have good results.

I very much doubt that would be the case. Maybe if we were another 5 or more seasons into Kent's combined roles and he was getting tired of coaching. However, I think it's the coaching he really enjoys while the GM role, combined, allows him to do everything his way and get big bucks for it. Why would a guy, just into his 50's, succeeding as much as he has, want to give that up?

Now here's a tidbit for all who are worried about Steinauer leaving.

[url=https://twitter.com/News1130Sports?original_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.13thman.com%2F&tw_i=542066740494991360&tw_p=embeddedtimeline&tw_w=341718519022514176]https://twitter.com/News1130Sports?orig ... 9022514176[/url]

A No Movement clause, cool!

[b]@News1130Sports: #BCLions called Hamilton to talk with defensive coordinator Orlondo Steinauer about coaching vacancy.

Talks didn't take place, gm Wally Buono was told Steinauer has a no-movement clause in his contract. #BCLions[/b]

Wally already said Coach O is not in the picture as he is still under contract with Hamilton
[/quote]
If Wally said those words, I'd say he was choosing a nicer way to eliminate Orlondo's name from the speculation and media questioning than saying what he really meant -- He's not interested in interviewing him for the HC job. A TSN report, earlier in the week, said Wally planned to ask Huff for permission to talk to Dickenson. If that one's true, then the "still under contract" excuse doesn't cut it.
[/quote]
Well, if what the Vancouver radio station has reported is true, I was certainly wrong in my previous comments on this topic.
Wrong, and surprised to learn of two things I don't recall ever having heard of before -- a team preventing an assistant coach from an opportunity to interview for a HC job and, more so, a no movement clause in an assistant's contract.

Sounds like we won't let him out of his contract, which is pretty lame. I won't complain, though.