Origin of CFL Team Names...Did you know?

Alouette= french word for "lark"

Simple - The french are a sick and twisted group of bitter east coast freaks ...

StatiK76

By posting or using the forum threads on this website, you must agree and adhere to the following guidelines:
  1. Do not use offensive language in your posts or in the creation of your username.
  2. Although we support the user's freedom of expression and their viewpoints on subjects related to football, we do not condone statements that are discriminatory based on sexual preferences, religions, races, personal attributes, slander, libel or anything else considered offensive.

Failure to follow the above guidelines will result in removal of posts or user accounts on this website, and legal actions may be taken against serious offences which are intended to damage the normal operations of this website.

Thank you for your cooperation!

I think statik76 should be banned.

i dont allouette is french for lark , im pretty sure its part of the lark famly, it just happens to have a french name.

I don't know about y'all, but hearing the English translation to "Alouette" brings to mind Howie Mandel's twisted version of "Momma's Gonna Buy You A Mockingbird".

"..and if that mockingbird don't sing
I'll grab his feathers and rip his wings.."

Eskimos is likely a reference to the fact that Edmonton is the largest city this far north.

I thought the Stampeders were named after the Calgarys only-claim-to-fame rodeo? I think Calgary Mulletheads would be more appropriate. :mrgreen:

And the winnipeg tem should be called the "cold shoulders", but it's not going to hapen

geez....statik, at last when im racist im kdding.

im just having fun with memories of the last time we had this argument.

Let me guess .. you're French and/or a Stampeder fan ... ? (now i'm gunna have a bunch of Stampeder fans pissed off, because you probably are french, and they don't want me catorgorizing you with them) ... you can't win on this forum ... too many little girls with sensitivity issues. (Oops - I just offended all the women by stereotyping them as 'sensitive' ...)

Oh christ ... (Oops - shouldn't have used that term ... now i'm in sh!t with the bible thumpers) ... (Oops - I used the word sh!t .. now i'm in trouble with all the mothers who are trying to protect their children from my horrendous language) ... Oops - now the women are mad at me again for generalizing them all as exsesively protective mothers ... Oops - now i'm pushing the point to far, and i'm pissing off the regulars that don't want to hear me rant again ... Oops - now i'm offending the regulars that are level headed and don't care ... Anytime you make an off-color joke in this place .. people lose it .. (Oops - just offended the colored people for using a slang term)

ban me .. i'd hardly care - nor would I ever find a way to sign up again ...

get it ... ?

StatiK76

"Rough Rider" was the name given to the guys who rode the logs down the the river. A lot tougher than a mere "Renegade".

So a Rough Rider would be "un draveur"? Why the hell would riverless and forrestless Saskatchewan name its team after these guys?

You must remember that Saskatchewan has it's own story. The RCMP horsemen were called Roughriders (one word) while the ByTowners called the river riders Rough Riders (two words). So as you can see, the two names are not the least bit similar.

However, to confound this dramatically, there was at one point a logo for the Ottawa Rough Riders which had a cowboy and a bronco. Their logo for the last few years of their existence, however, show a "Rough Rider" and his spear. Rough Riders were lumberjacks who would ride the logs downstream, using the spears to balance and prevent logjams. Very dangerous work. Anybody ever hear the "log rider's waltz"?

I can hardly imagine anyone wanting to do that job. You'd do ONE false step. Just once. And your life'd be over. Once you are under the logs in the river, you just can't back to the surface. Crazy thing.

The two names are not the least bit similar....... except they are the exact same name! ??

Okay, I have to add to this. I’m a bit offended that The Ottawa Rough Riders’ name was left out. People tend to forget that the Ottawa team had the name decades before Saskatchewan. The Rough Riders’ monicker originated in 1876 and were named after Teddy Roosevelt’s Rough Riders of the Spanish American war of that year. The Ottawa team breifly went to the name Senators in 1926 and 1927, and that’s when the Sask. team took the name. For some reason, Ottawa went back to the Rough Riders name in 1928, thus two teams with different spelling. Don’t forget, they both played in different leagues at the time, way before the Big Four and the western teams merged into the CFL. That merger became official in 1970 and also when the CFL helmet logo was adopted. The logger reference is true, but I the original intent was not about the rough riders on the Ottawa River. Bruce Firestone’s tenure as Ottawa’s last owner pushed that idea and logo. If you research the history of the Ottawa logo, you will see that the original logo (my favourite one) was the one with the horse and cowboy from 1961 to 1980. One last note, TO BERNIE AND LONIE, BRING BACK THE BIG WHITE R ON OTTAWA’S HELMET AND BRING BACK OUR TRADITION BY RE-NAMIMG THEM ROUGH RIDERS

Apparently the current liberal party hired an ad agency to come up with the new name Renegades. :slight_smile:

And Third n' Ten, Saskatchewan forestless and riverless? My friend you need a little geography lesson!

Most of what you say is true, Ottawa_Rough_Riders, but they weren't named after Teddy Roosevelt's Roughriders. The Spanish-American war took place in 1899. In 1876 there was the battle of Little Big Horn, and that was the 7th Cavalry there.

I agree......bring back the Eastern Riders and put the R back in the helmets.

Finally, someone with evidence divulges the true origins and history of the Ottawa Football Club.
Props Ottawa_Rough_Rider.
And I agree, I like the cowboy and bronkin' buc logo. The colours were adopted from the Canadian Regiment "Rough Riders" that fought in the Spanish Civil War, but the name also is a tribute to the loggers who used to work in the mighty Ottawa River.
So we had black before anybody. And the friggin name.

The Spanish Civil War happened in 1936-39, and the Canadians who fought there were collectively known as the Mackenzie-Papineau Battalion.