Opinion regarding todays decision

Ironic that he doesnt talk about himself staying out of the football operations and sticking to the business side of things. Perhaps if he did his job and left others to do theirs, things could have worked out much better in Hamilton.

I'm sure the fact that daddy is a big wig in the league played no factor in choosing the President over the GM of the team. The GM inherited a mess and was NOT given enough time to right the ship. I could understand this decision being made if the Cats were again 3-15 next year, but no, as usual in Hamilton the revolving door keeps going and management makes a knee-jerk reaction based on ONE season.

I do not know if any of you actually paid attention this year and saw the difference between last years team (4-14) and this years team (3-15).
-How many times were they absolutely blown out this year? Last year?
-How many times were they shut out offensively this year? Last year?
-How many close games did they lose this year? Last year?

The point is, this team made some good strides this year despite the overall record and has a good base in place for next year on both sides of the ball. Will it all work out to a 1st place finish and a Grey Cup in the next year or two? It may and it may not. However what is a guarantee is that by the time that 2-3 year time period elapses, those responsible for that particular outcome will be long gone due to the "revolving door" mentality that has been in Hamilton for years.

Changes had to be made in order to get to the next level next season. As far as I'm concerned, the wrong ones have been made to date including today's decision.

Fire Scott Mitchell!!!!!!

Ironic that he doesnt talk about himself staying out of the football operations and sticking to the business side of things. Perhaps if he did his job and left others to do theirs, things could have worked out much better in Hamilton.

I'm sure the fact that daddy is a big wig in the league played no factor in choosing the President over the GM of the team. The GM inherited a mess and was NOT given enough time to right the ship. I could understand this decision being made if the Cats were again 3-15 next year, but no, as usual in Hamilton the revolving door keeps going and management makes a knee-jerk reaction based on ONE season.

Brutal.....

This is him doing his job.

Changes had to be made, probably more are to come.

I've had the opportunity to meet Scott. I can tell you that, like all of us here, he really hates to lose. He is also developing a great passion for this city and he is working, not only on creating a great football legacy, but projects that will benefit the rest of the city for years to come.

From watching the news conference, I got the impression that Scott Mitchell had lost confidence in Marcel's ability to engineer a quick turnaround. He made one comment about hiring someone who believed they could win right away, and not someone who believed they had a big job to do. I have to assume that Marcel was espousing the second view that progress would be gradual and not to expect things to change overnight. If Mitchell thought that sounded too conservative, not agressive enough, or even passive, than Marcel had to go. It sounds like he wanted his GM to tell him that the team would compete for the Grey Cup next year and if Marcel wasn't willing to go out on that limb, game over!
My biggest complaint about Marcel was his position that he wanted to emulate the Montreal model. Yes, the Als have been successful but this is Hamilton and the team should have its own identity, not try to be a copy of something else. Hamilton football stands for something, and I don't think Marcel ever fully grasped that. Strange since he's a local guy, but then nobody will ever mistake Burlington (desperate to be part of the GTA) with Hamilton (hates Toronto and proud of it).

Marcel had to go. He's a mouthpiece. He cleared house got a few players made a lot of blunders, let Taafe keep his coordinators. He's done. End of story move on people.

Keep Mitchell...I'm hoping Taafe and his crew are next! Forget continuity, continuity only works when a team has improved over the year...they haven't...they've actually gotten worse as the year went on.

Mitchell is looking for a puppet so that he can sit above him and pull strings all day.
Have no fear Hamilton fans, there will be a puppet in place soon enough.

Not enough done today...Taffe and his staff should have got the axe right along with marcel...Mitchell should be shown the door as well...

It sounds like the Cats will go after one of the current CFL GMs but who would want to come here now? Mitchell has made it quite clear that if we need to win next year (or else!) but what kind of GM is going to want to come into that situation, especially if they're already with a more competitive and more stable team? Is Mr Young going to throw buckets of money at the new GM??? Is this the reason for the ticket price increase???

Welcome to TiCats.ca Marcel. You can now join in with the rest of us in constantly criticizing everything the organization does, pointless rants, one issue tirades, and firing up the run-em-out-of-town train.

You don't know what you are talking about. How many players did Marcel ship out, that are playing on Grey-Cup bound Teams? How many of those players we received in exchange are still with the Cats? How many were outright released?

• Terry Vaugn
  • Tad Kornegay
  • Kojo Aido
  • Ian Fleming
  • Corey Holmes
  • Jason Maas
  • Airabin Justin
  • Agustin Baranchea
  • Rocky Butler
  • D.J. Flick
  • Chris Getzlaf
  • Wayne Smith
  • Tim Cheatwood
  • Jason Goss
  • Rob Hitchcock
  • Kamou Peterson
  • Mike Morreale
    etc.

Heck - I can build a better Team with these guys...
And the proof is in the pudding.
So, you take out the veterans, and replace them with rookies, and you get: 3-15 record!
Yes, Marcel had to go. Even an idiot could have done better..
The Eagle - :thdn: :thdn: :thdn:

Mitchell is looking for a puppet so that he can sit above him and pull strings all day. Have no fear Hamilton fans, there will be a puppet in place soon enough.
Well, at least your observation fits your name on this board. :)

Here's a thought, Don Matthews anyone?

(Mark) Well, at least your observation fits your name on this board. Smile
And I believe that would be "POWERTRIP."

I don't buy that at all...next year would and will be a better year and anyone with their homer glasses off will know that. The Cats will be starting the training camp with a healthy Printers and still have a good core with Lumsden, Moreno etc etc...

He traded away many good players? That's a matter of opinion. You have yours, I have mine. He got rid of a lot of guys who were problems in the room and didn't want to buy in to the new program they were building. Forget the old boys club mentality, they made personnel decisions and we frankly won't know the end result of them for a season or two. Why not give them time to right the ship? Was it really needed to start over this early? Or is this simply a matter of Mitchell's EGO getting in the way? The only player who should have stayed was Flick, I could care less about any of the other guys leaving. The Cats were building something here. Some of you people remind me of those impatient Leafs fans. Always looking for Rome to be built in a day. To the real fans, I hope good CFL football is back in the Hammer next year...

[i]

I don’t buy that at all…next year would and will be a better year and anyone with their homer glasses off will know that. The Cats will be starting the training camp with a healthy Printers and still have a good core with Lumsden, Moreno etc etc…

He traded away many good players? That’s a matter of opinion. You have yours, I have mine. He got rid of a lot of guys who were problems in the room and didn’t want to buy in to the new program they were building. Forget the old boys club mentality, they made personnel decisions and we frankly won’t know the end result of them for a season or two. Why not give them time to right the ship? Was it really needed to start over this early? Or is this simply a matter of Mitchell’s EGO getting in the way? The only player who should have stayed was Flick, I could care less about any of the other guys leaving. The Cats were building something here. Some of you people remind me of those impatient Leafs fans. Always looking for Rome to be built in a day. To the real fans, I hope good CFL football is back in the Hammer next year…
[/quote]
[/i]
Marcel was handed Moreno, Setta, McKay Loecsher,and Armour. Lumsend was already here and Printers signed because of Bob $$$. You talk about last years team? They had 4 wins. If they had the players McCarthy recruited this year for Marcel, on last years team, we would have made the playoffs last year. The fact is Marcel ruined the team this year even with all the great players McCarthy served up to Marcel.
Marcel is the absolutely the worst General Manager the Tiger-Cats have ever had!!!

Great choice getting rid of Marcel.... He got rid of all the canadian talent on that team and wanted to run the team like Montreal runs there team by only using canadians that went to american colleges... Your CFL team is only as good as your canadians are, look around the league at the top teams, they all have great canadian talent ex. BC look at all there canadians that are young and making contributions, another example is saskatchewan. Lets get a GM in here that knows how to cater to the CFL. Oh and the whole Cassy Printers signing... worst investment ever.

Very true. I'm a little worried about McCarthy being considered for GM. He has a track record of not considering Canadian College prospects the same way he looks at Americans.

I believe that 'cisballer' hit the nail on the head. The only players that Marcel and Charlie wanted were Americans or American trained Canadians.
I don't think he made decisions in isolation, Charlie was his co-conspirator. Charlie was brought to the ticats by Marcel due to their acquaintance in Montreal. Charlie should be the next to go. Charlie has admitted that he did a poor job and stated at the first of the season that the coaches would make the play selection decisions. Charlie neither knows football nor football talent!

In respect of Scott Mitchell, he inhereted this dynamic duo. The sooner Mithchell cleans house the sooner the Ticats can start to win.

Marcel let too many good guys go. They all couldnt have been all problem players. Taffe's coaches dont have enough CFL experience. Printers isnt a team guy. Just watch how the other players all talk to Williams on the side lines and never do with Printers. I would rather see Printers traded for a sure-handed receiver and a d-back or something. Williams and Chang remind me of the Rough Rider years of Clements and Holloway. It would be nice too see this team develop their owner QB's instead losing good players to other teams to get one.

Nobody spoke to Danny McManus on the sidelines either. This was his wish, i.e. to be left alone, usually at the east end of the home team’s bench, I suppose to thinks about play calling and various strategies.
Danny kept his head in the game at all times and often, through no fault of his own, he suffered poor outcomes.