Opening night in the CFL next year, more hype and pizzaz

I’d like to see us do something like we saw in Pittsburgh last night with bands playing and all the fireworks, an opening night kickoff special. The CFL needs to hype it up more, I love the way the NFL does this. And get a big name Canadian performer to do a song like Pink.

I really think we were headed for something like that if the game in Halifax would have been played. There was plenty of hype leading up to it last spring, and TSN was set to blow it out until things fell apart.

I agree, I bet we could get Turkeybend to entertain us! :wink:

Seriously though, they should hype the start of the season. Hype Labour day games (Although they were already sold out)

Well, can’t hurt to make Opening Day a big thing complete with bands, etc.

Myself, I tuned out because I just wanted the football, but can obviously see a lot of people liking this sort of thing.

Thats okay, if they put Rap Crap on for music like those Black Eyed Peas, I'd turn it off too!

I completely agree that there should be more hype involved with the opening day ... Labour Day gets a good bit already (could always use more), and Thanksgiving could use some hype too. But the general public always seems to forget that the CFL season runs through July and August ... hyping opening day would only help.

Yeah, let's do it, but no go overboard like the Americans do.

God bless CFL webcasts! does the NFL even have those? if not, they are late in the game! BIG TIME!

True KK. I'd love for the CFL to find out what Canadian singers or bands are CFL fans and get them to get to perform a song for CBC or TSN like what NBC has done with Pink. And a concert for the opening game with fireworks would be great. I don't buy that the CFL season really starts, as some would say, on Labour Day, opening day should be really promoted and marketed big time.

I know who says that, RK!!!! :lol:

Hyping the league is a great idea, but I'd like to know where the CFL will get the money for big name artists, big time fireworks etc. It isn't cheap you now.

A while back somebody posted that the season should start with the 'Canada Day Classic' featuring the previous year's Grey Cup finalists.

I am with that.

Let's start with a Canada Day game involving the Ottawa Renegades, fireworks, singer etc....
As a matter of fact why don't we have a triple header.....1pm.....4pm......7pm

I agree, they need to hype the opening of the season more, get people thinking football in July. As for paying for artists, fireworks...
I think it's one of those instances where you've got to spend money to make money. Raising the awareness of the season start will probably generate more ticket sales and TV ratings.

don't think theirs enough for a tirple head, and I'd rather start the season so that the Grey Cup is when it's sch, if you can do it on Canada Day, great!, if not, no love loss.

if you want a good opening day you dont get just canadian performers you get anyone who willing to do it whether its canadian or american its all about who you get and very good advertisment,you might not believe me but a lot of americans prefer cfl than nfl...trust me

if i was cfl commissioner the cfl would be off the chain just give me three/four years in front office i'd turn it all aronud and i'm american.....

anybody can be a commissioner any get a pay check the reason why the cfl nearly failed in the 90's is the head man(dont know his name)put them team in us cities that didnt know nothing about to cfl,the only thing them cities wanted was a professional team to say they had something...if the knuckle head would have put them teams in nothern cities only like detroit,ny,maybe conn,portland they would still have them teams til this day...now when u.s get interested the cfl turns them away...the cfl is very popular in detroit my uncle lives in n.j and watches it faithfully,so alot of americans love it.....

ok, this guy says he can do a better job at commissioner, and the frist thing he says next hints to the fact he wants to expand south of the 49th again, sry buddy, the CFL will not be calling you for the job anytime soon. why?

becase the US labor laws would make the import rule invaild, and the US would likly end up dominating the Canadian teams, plus there is the very real theat of some of the current CFL teams like Ottawa going south, and before you know it, we have the NHL all over again! No thanks! I, and others, draw the line at the 49th.

if you want a good opening day you dont get just canadian performers you get anyone who willing to do it whether its canadian or american its all about who you get and very good advertisment,you might not believe me but a lot of americans prefer cfl than nfl...trust me
last time we had americans prefrom, the black eye peas, it wasn't very good, and no one in the US tock notice. I not closing on the idea of it, but Canadians are preferable.