Opening kickoff and 2nd half kickoff

Here's an idea to float out there.
First of all, the opening kickoff and which end of the field is decided using a coin flip.
No home advantage..correct?

What about the home team gets the advantage of choosing either the end they start from or to kickoff or not in the 1st half. The 2nd half kickoff is decided by whoever has the ball at the end of the 1st half.
Gives the home team an advantage to begin the game, and there is some stradegy at the end of the 1st half.

thoughts??

Though I’m usually a ‘if it’s not broke don’t fix it’ person, I do like the idea. Anything that removes sometime that’s random is good by me.

I only really care about the coin flip when wagering anyways. One less place for me to lose $$$

It's something to give the home team an advantage, and considering how the home teams did last year, they need it.

Very good idea. I like it. :thup:
I have never liked coin toss. :thdn:

I'd be fine with always giving the same team the choice at start of the game -- could also be the road team since that would give home team choice for start of second half. But I don't like the randomness of the second part of this. If a team manages to score on the final play of the half, or has the ball only for the half's final play, why penalize them at start of the second half? IMO keep it as is it is now, with one team getting first choice for first half and the other getting first choice for second half, but make it always the same for which gets choice when.

Certainly an interesting idea. However, with a sense of fairness in mind, we should stick with the concept that both teams have an opportunity to receive the kick-off at least once, either to start the game or at the beginning of the 2nd half. That aside, I like the idea that the home team should have a choice to choose what side of the field to defend before the game begins (this may actually help the home town faithful, especially on extremely windy days reigning havoc on the kicking game). The HC could tell his game captains to bear this in mind, instructing them to play with the wind at their backs as oppose to facing its wrath to start the contest.. With any luck, by the time the teams switched directions, the wind would have disappeared altogether. Again, any idea to help the home team is a good thing. Home fans deserve to leave happy, and anything that helps to lead to that end should be entertained.

I like the first part of your idea in that the home team gets to choose to receive or defer. But I think for fairness, it would be good to continue with switching who receives the 2nd half kickoff. If the team that had possession at the end of the first half got it in the second, it could lead to some very boring end of halves, since teams would often take a knee to retain possession.

Would there still be coin flips in the Grey Cup? I think it make sense to retain them there.

Remember the XFL? an excerpt from their rule book:

No coin toss to determine which team will get the ball first. Instead of the coin toss, the action in the XFL will start before the game even kicks off. [b]Player from each team will line up on the 35-yard line. The referee will blow the whistle and each player will dash to the 50-yard line where a ball will be placed. The team that recovers the ball has the choice to kick or receive.[/b]

Returning teams must run kickoffs back out of the end zone, unless the kick goes through the end zone.
The extra point will either be pass or run attempted only after a touchdown. The ball spotted on the 2-yard line. Eliminating the extra-point attempt by the kicker.
Returning teams must run kickoffs back out of the end zone, unless the kick goes through the end zone.

The extra point will either be pass or run attempted only after a touchdown. The ball spotted on the 2-yard line. Eliminating the extra-point attempt by the kicker.

I like the idea of no coin toss,
the home team has choice in whether they want to receive or defer .
in playoffs, the team with the better record has home field advantage priorities, including the Grey Cup, this way having the best record may actually means something , and if 2 teams are still tied going into the last week of the regular season this may not be a meaningless game in some instances.
in the event of the 2 teams being tied with identical records in the Grey Cup game then the coin toss will decide the home team.

Home team should have choice. That is the benefit of being at home.

Great… another thread about changing something, and by someone who can’t change it in the first place.

I wish up was down and down was up. Should I make a thread about it? No.

That is what a forum is about.

Exchanging ideas , thoughts and opinions.

Kinda makes it a fun place. Like them or not.

Great... another thread about changing something, and by someone who can't change it in the first place.

I wish up was down and down was up. Should I make a thread about it? No.

CFL fans are the best....Not only fans of thier team but want the league and sport to succeed. I am a season ticket holder, a stake holder in this game. I feel that the people that run this sport at the highest level do listen. More than happy to here your suggestions, but don't downplay your power as the consumer of this sport.