Ontario Doesn't Care About Grey Cup?

It's a completely natural response. When you suck at something, and are embarassed about it, you lash out at it and try to convince yourself that it isn't important anyways. These writers are just a defensive response because they know they are letting the rest of the country down and it embarasses the hell out of them.

I think this hatred of the CFL hides a deeper disdain for their own country in my opinion
that assessment has some merit.

Improbable or hypothetical as it seems, it wouldn't surprise me at all that if Toronto had a referendum in the future regarding separation from Canada and becoming a U.S. city, the result would be a unanimous and resounding yes.

It is the elitist and ostentatious mindset that encourages this sentiment in T.O. and is quite sad really.

I agree guys. The CFL isn't the issue here, all it is doing is bringing out what really lies underneath and that is some sort of odd and strange disdain as benji says for anything that is Canadian that is successful outside of Toronto/GTA and results in this embarrasement and confusion. But they've really just done it to themselves there not laying the groundwork for a successful football stadium project involving the Argos especially when they had very local ownership. Certain sorts thought by now Ralph Wilson would be passed on and the team in Toronto to "save" Rogers Centre from showing it isn't a good football stadium. But that hasn't happened and now Buffalo is talking a major reno to The Ralph and with Hamilton getting a basically new stadium, man that has to hurt there in Toronto big time.

Earl with new stadiums being built in Canada the Skydome is falling further and further back in the list of best football stadiums in Canada.
And it only cost us Ontario taxpayers a billion 1990 dollars to build it!
Imagine how many great CFL stadiums we could have built in Hamitlon, London, and Ottawa for a billion 1993 dollars?
Heck, we could have built one for Moncton and Quebec city, and still had money left over.

And guess who was behind this Skydome fiasco?
None other then Mr. Fiasco, Paul Godfrey.
Who now somehow is running the Ontario Lottery Corporation?
This guy must have pictures on everybody!

benji, it's a baseball stadium. Really if Rogers really wanted the NFL that bad, they shouldn't have bought the Blue Jays when they were up for sale but immediately transformed the stadium into an NFL type stadium to get a team there especially when cities like Pittsburgh and Cincinatti and Phily still were playing in baseball first type stadiums, maybe one of them could have been coaxed to move to the transformed Skydome. But now that plan is dead I think with the Jays there basically "owning" the place and as people said, the sightlines were built with baseball in mind first and foremost.

And yes, other cities in Canada have moved on and upgrading and building new football stadiums. If the reno goes ahead in Buffalo with a new long term lease, that's about it for the NFL in Toronto for a very long time.

I would agree there, but go even further and say, that a permanent NFL team in Toronto was NEVER going to happen.

THe simple fact is the NFL makes butt-loads of money with out a team here, they dont need a team here! Its the same thing with players going from the CFL to NFL - they have enough resources there that they dont need our players, no matter how good they are.....

Back on topic.....everyone agrees that the TO based media seems to have a hate on for the CFL, funny thing is, Dowbiggin used to write about the Stamps when he worked for the Herald, and he didnt seem to have any issue with the CFL then.....it must be the city (of Toronto) that corrupts these guys.....

Grey Cup 100 will be a smashing success next year! The parties will be great, there will be hype, and it will be a big-time affair. But be prepared to read the exact same article this time next year! The Toronto media wont change, and the CFL will grow and succeed despite this!

Sorry to be the one to break it to you but Bruce Dowbiggin (sp) is a long time hater in the same category as a Scott Taylor, Brian Williams and almost anybody that worked at Fan 590 Toronto radio.

Bruce while with the CBC was just a piece of crapola, excuse the expression

Another issue Cohon can't be too happy about.
The NHL has scheduled 3 Canadian teams to play on Sunday head to head with the Grey Cup.
Including the Maple Leafs who start at 8 PM I think

The NHL didn't do schedule any games during the American thanksgiving.
They have no game scheduled head to head with the Super Bowl.
Why would they do it against the Grey Cup?

Thats what happens when you let your national sport be taken over by foreigners.
Which is why I am very happy we have the CFL

The beauty though is regardless of what the talk is, the point is they are talking and this adds to the mystique of what Canadian football is and the Grey Cup. Hockey is fairly easy and straight forward but Canadian football and it's place in Canada is far more occult if you will and mysterious and far less written about in books and scholarly sports journals. Which is sort of neat. And this is what Frank Cosentino was mentioning to us while I was at Western when he lectured on Canadian sports history. Frank did a lot of the primary research on Canadian football and published a lot from this research.

So it's great they, the sports writers, are writing, once they stop writing especially about our national football championship, regardless of the slant or opinions, then the Grey Cup might be in trouble. It's definitly on their minds and that is good.

Hey Earl.
London mayor Joe Fontana is talking about the CFL coming to London.
He has openly talked about how they could expand TD Waterhouse stadium.
This guy is a go getter.
When he wants something he goes after it.
I think we may be seeing the beginning of something big in this city.
And not in the too distant future either

That would be super benji. Hope it happens at some point, gorgeous location there where the stadium is, we played around there when I was a kid growing up in London and at university, was at a game this year between the Stangs and the Gee Gees.

We had a favourite watering and smoking hole by the Thames at Gibbons Park right near there as a teenager. Better not get into any details. :stuck_out_tongue:

he'll have to do quite a bit of go getting to expand TD Waterhouse Stadium as it currently houses only 8,000 permanent seats.
It will be very difficult to expand that to 25,000 seats, not including amenities.

Even PEPS Stadium in Quebec City has 12,500 permanent seats, and has previously expanded to nearly 19,000 with temps, although is never mentioned as a suitable CFL venue.

Either way, you have to give Fontana credit for his vision and perserverence and is a shame he is not Mayor of Toronto or Halifax.

Hamilton will be the center of football in Southern Ontario with a fairly new and nice Ron Joyce Stadium at McMaster that has no track and the new Ivor Wynne Stadium. London has to be jealous of that (well Toronto also, one of Canada's largest universities with a stadium like Varsity that holds I think 5000 at most!). McMaster's football program is so much better than it used to be.

Sure London's arena is nicer than Copps and has far more luxury suites, I'll give London that albeit the OHL doesn't get the exposure on television nationally like CFL games do.

Tangled.
A friend told me what Fontana proposed about expanding TD stadium.
He said there's lots of room to expand in the endzones.
Also, those stands are nothing fancy.
Sometimes I think a strong wind could blow them over.
But their is room to move them back as well to add more seats.
Either way its nice my city is talking about joining the big leagues.

Will the CFL work in a funky city like London?
I understand it's pretty much a wannabe situation there as well, close enough to follow the Lions and the No Funners?

The guy is a joke, just like Brunt .
But here is the rub on hypocrisy for the two, both are at the Grey Cup this week?
I can hardly wait for the negative articles on Monday, slagging the game and everything else.
Can you imagine if we have anything close to the shootout like the semi in Montreal? I can see it now, “offense if you like that sort of thing, go to a football game and a basketball game breaks out”.

No ArgoT.
We have lots of CAnadian football fans here.
The Mustangs are one of the best draws in CIS.
The Knights fill their 9,000 seat arena every game.
In fact they could have sold more then that in season tickets.
We have big corporations here like Labatts, TD, 3M and London Life.
We have close to a million people in London and area.
In my opinon the CFL would be as big a goldmine as the Knights have become

Thanks benji.
Ok there appears to be political will with the mayor, will there be money from the city for their presumed share to renovate TD.
Equally as important, is there a wealthy owner lurking in the weeds?
So basically does this have traction or is it a case of wishful thinking?

Not sure, but mayor Fontana is a go getter.
This guy is determined to make London a major city in Canada.
I mean the guy is going to China to try to drum up business for the city.

Labatts and TD Bank are big players in this country and they;re headquartered here.
Also 3M is headquartered here.

We're talking what, 6 to 10 million for a CFL franchise.
If people think it will work, they'll come in.
London has money, and people starved for sports.
The Knights proved that.

On paper London COULD support a team...but there is zero political will or public out cry for a franchise.

That being said, in the past few months London all of a sudden is getting to be a pretty decent sports town, with the arrival of the London Rippers of the Frontier League and the London Lightning of the National Basketball League of Canada, it's a good time to be a sports fan in London.