one step in the right direction

One corporate donation pretty much secured. How much is still unknown? Any other donations still unknown. One positive sign that something might get done here in Hamilton on the stadium front.

http://thespec.com/Sports/Local%20Sports/article/704326
[url=http://www.thespec.com/Sports/Local%20Sports/article/704326]http://www.thespec.com/Sports/Local%20S ... cle/704326[/url]

Encouraging to see Young has the determination and the can-do attitude for the franchise to take the biggest step in it's history.
Others will whine, grandstand, nit-pick and complain about locations etc., negativity, defeatism, but from the football side of the stadium equation,thankfully, Young is really the only voice that matters.

Love the airport area idea. Just make sure parking is cheap, abundant and VERY close to the stadium. Bay And Barton???? Who came up with that idea? Traffic nightmare AND where would a fan park? Oh yeah, keep the Ivor Wynne sightlines.

Nothing really new in the article, is there?

The fact that Bob is coming out publicly like this now with just the 2 sites and sites that may not be at top of his pile, may not, speaks volumes in my opinion.

One thing about an airport site (any site I guess when you think of it) from aerial views say from a plane or copter on game days, Pan-Am is that they could do a panorama type of sweep and show Lake Erie all the way to Lake Ontario and the waterfront and show the location as in between the two, not centred of course but still, and really show the stadium as an area stadium hence a team area and bring in people from this perspective, shows more an area type team sort of thing. Maybe even panorama all the way to London up to Kitchener, Burlington as well although the camera would have to be pretty far up in the air for that I suppose but you never know what they can do now with photography.

When Bob invests in the stadium for whatever his share may be, I would imagine he and the Ticats will be the managers of the stadium and rightfully control what if any profit the stadium will generate.

Well if it comes down to the airport as being he only other option, here's what the airport lands offer:

(and this is assuming they are looking at the South/West corner of Upper James and Dickenson Road or close to it)

1. Fresh city water pipeline running up Upper James/Hwy 6 all the way to Caledonia...(excellent water pressure)

2. Storm sewers and Sanitary sewers in place running from the city along Upper James and already servicing Mount Hope and the Airport

3. High Speed DSL

4. High Speed Cable from Mountaincable (now Shaw) running straight up Upper James/Hwy #6 and servicing Mount Hope and Caledonia

5. Upper James/Hwy 6 is a major commuter route between Hamilton and Haldimand Norfolk (35-50 thousand vehicles per day)

6. Excellent bus service already in place from Downtown Hamilton all the way to the Airport.......added buses on game day will never be a problem

7. Airport by-pass linking to the 403 already in place which makes it quick for people from the city, Ancaster, Dundas, Burlington, Brantford

8 ) Anyone from the east end, Stoney Creek, Grimsby or Niagara can get there easy by coming up the Red Hill, across the Linc and onto Upper James.......or back routes like Miles Road, # 56, Trinity Church, Nebo etc...

1. Zoning is not a problem

2. Environmental concerns are not a problem

3. No expropriations necessary

4. No OMB challenges

5. Soil is shovel ready and hard clay (great for a huge structure)

6. TV visuals would be actually very nice from atop the stadium and would give a beautiful, panoramic view of the Hamilton Mountain, Ancaster, Carluke, Caledonia

7. Parking would be great!

8. Lot's of existing local restaurants already in place on Upper James, Rymal Road and into Ancaster

well, those are the major concerns most people think about :slight_smile:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Hamilton&state=ON Looks like North West Bayfront is the center of the Ticats fan base to me!

Maybe in a strict geographic sense but in reality it’s a virtual instantaneous world, information from around the world at your fingertips, the “global village” as they say. Yes, the majority of Cats fans attending the games now reside in Hamilton proper I suppose but a “brave new world” at the airport lands or other sites isn’t that far. I wouldn’t pigeon hole all TiCats fans as those just requiring a short, in city bus ride along traditional streets wearing hand-me down sweaters from decades past. Not that there’s anything wrong with hand-me clothes BTW. :wink:

deerhunter, nice try but you're off. It's been reported that infrastrucure costs are much greater for that undeveloped area.

Furthermore Upper James is only two lanes from either direction and almost all traffic would come from the north.

Cannon and York have 5 lanes each ONE WAY!

As far as the view goes, it's got to be the worse. There is nothing remarkable about the boonies.

Excellent bus servece? One measly route: Uppper James.

No comparison.

Hold the presses ......

I'm 100% behind Kirk on the stadium site. If it has to be a choice between bad and worse I'll take Rheem. Both are lousy but if its one or the other its no contest (assuming we can't say forget the entire thing of course) The fact there Rheem is bad does not make the airport lands better.

Now your making things up, i never said anything like . Im talking about Burlington,Halton hill,s and Grimsby, Niagra,fact is Harbor West is the center of the Golden Horseshoe. Besides what of the traffic on Upper James?

My first Choice would be to build a modern Ivor Wynn on the Scott Park Field as well AKT but it,s been desided :frowning:

Thats AKT’s choice??? ok i knew he was just blowing it … all the things he argued against the Rheem site are at the current IWS site … ok … hypocrite

:thup: :rockin: Good Call

oops may have misread that NEVERMIND

Definitely prefer Rheem to Airport... ick.

I hate the Idea of Team on the Moutian .. NO thanks

Do you how far a Bus Ride that is to watch Practice..

2 hours there 2 hours back no Thanks

I think by now we all know that the airport lands seem to be the only location that you want. There are a couple of points to argue though.

1. High Speed Cable from Mountaincable (now Shaw) running straight up Upper James/Hwy #6 and servicing Mount Hope and Caledonia
    This high speed cable is already here and has no impact on the game. The location of the stadium does not matter to the cable providers.

2. Upper James/Hwy 6 is a major commuter route between Hamilton and Haldimand Norfolk (35-50 thousand vehicles per day)
    This may sound like a lot of cars but in reality it is not. This is about the same number that will pass along King St. in any give day

3. Zoning is not a problem
    Please provide proof of this. What is the land zoned? What is the Official Plan Policy on this land? What Official Plan are you looking off of?

4. Environmental concerns are not a problem
    Environmental concerns are a major problem here. There are risks of ruining a species habitat, their breeding locations, their migrating routes etc? Are there not environmental concerns whenever you pave over land? What is going to happen with stormwater runoff that used to seep into the ground? What about the increased air pollution in the area from the extra cars? Environmental factors play a prominent role here, you are kidding yourself to think otherwise.

5. No expropriations necessary
    Please prove this. Are you positive this land is not owned by anyone? Not just the stadium site but the land that will house all this fantastic parking that you speak of

6. No OMB challenges
    There is absolutely no way that you can assure this. What is your proof? Anybody has the right to appeal to the OMB as long as they follow the proper protocol. I live nowhere near the area and can put in an appeal as long as I pay my fee. The above mentioned environmental factors can be cause for someone to file an appeal

7. TV visuals would be actually very nice from atop the stadium and would give a beautiful, panoramic view of the Hamilton Mountain, Ancaster, Carluke, Caledonia
    And a downtown site would not give a good impression of a bustling city?

8. Lot’s of existing local restaurants already in place on Upper James, Rymal Road and into Ancaster
    And nobody lives downtown apparently

good counter points :thup: maybe the Ticats could time their Defence stands to the airport flight schedual http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_-kP1lNIW8