one misconception between CFL and NFL

I posted this info in response in another thread in another forum, but figure it was worth its own thread here.

average pts per game per team in NFL so far this yr is 22.25.
average pts per game per team in CFL this yr was 26.50

Very little difference.

see if you can figure out the Avg # of plays per game.

Yawn!

There is no misconception how thew CFL is more exciting.

Love the responses. If this were something that proved the CFL is better than the NFL, then people would be all about it! :lol:

nfl yds p/g 341

cfl yds p/g 371

nfl scrm ply 63

cfl scrm ply 78

still not that much difference.

CFL is more exciting, but not from points scored, or from yards per game, and not much because of number of plays. Its just plain more exciting because of our field size and rules.

Just two words separate the leagues - Fair Catch. That sums everything up in two words.

yup, I was thinking myself that punt returns is the biggest difference in cfl favor.

otoh: For what ever its worth, I figured out that each cfl teams punts an average of 6.8 times a game. NFl is 4.7 times again. So it represent a very small percentage of the total plays.

The thing for me is, while I enjoy CFL more, I also enjoy NFL a lot.

I am getting real tired of these comparisions. If you are a true football fan first, you will like both leagues for what they are worth! :thup:

I agree, people just need to settle down. Both leagues are great, and for different reasons. Bashing the NFL reeks of insecurity. I do enjoy the NFL, but don't really get into watching it until after Grey Cup, although I do watch it occasionally the first few weeks of the season. I have a favourite NFL team, and can name the starting QB for every NFL team (which I can also do for CFL teams). I love watching the Superbowl, just like I love watching the Grey Cup (and for CFL fans who bash the 'blow out' super bowls, you should have watched the past few, it's not that way anymore). I can name every superbowl winner in order (I can do same for Grey Cup). Like the CFL, the NFL has traditions and fans that are unique to each individual team. I can go on about what I love about both leagues, but I need to get on to the rest of my point.

The CFL is great in its own right. We do not need to constantly put down the NFL to feel good about ourselves. That's what children on a playground do. It seems if the NFL is only briefly mentioned in these forums, the poster is villified and there are 20 resulting posts saying how much the NFL sucks. Yes, the Fair Catch is dumb...yes, a larger field is better... yes, the clock stopping after every play in the last 2 minutes allows for more comebacks... but when it comes down to it... football is football. Many Canadian NFL-only fans do bash the CFL, that's true. Do you really need to stoop to their level?

A person is allowed to enjoy both leagues. Criticizing someone for it reeks of desparation.

Let's go Bills! superbowl champions....2098???? :lol:

...personally, I think adding automatic time-stoppage in the last two minutes to the NFL similar to our last three minutes would have a bigger impact to the NFL game then altering punt return rules...I like football, period, both leagues, but nothing in the NFL frustrates me more than watching the leading team in a close game chew up the last 1:30 of the game by taking a knee, or worse, watching the head coaches shaking hands when there is still 30 seconds left on the clock...

Actually the No Funners can start walking off the field with 39 seconds left, the worst "rule" ever in any sport.

Also, the number of touchbacks. One thing the NFL lacks is special teams.

[

quote="TheHammer1"]

I agree, people just need to settle down. Both leagues are great, and for different reasons. Bashing the NFL reeks of insecurity. I do enjoy the NFL, but don't really get into watching it until after Grey Cup, although I do watch it occasionally the first few weeks of the season. I have a favourite NFL team, and can name the starting QB for every NFL team (which I can also do for CFL teams). I love watching the Superbowl, just like I love watching the Grey Cup (and for CFL fans who bash the 'blow out' super bowls, you should have watched the past few, it's not that way anymore). I can name every superbowl winner in order (I can do same for Grey Cup). Like the CFL, the NFL has traditions and fans that are unique to each individual team. I can go on about what I love about both leagues, but I need to get on to the rest of my point.

The CFL is great in its own right. We do not need to constantly put down the NFL to feel good about ourselves. That's what children on a playground do. It seems if the NFL is only briefly mentioned in these forums, the poster is villified and there are 20 resulting posts saying how much the NFL sucks. Yes, the Fair Catch is dumb...yes, a larger field is better... yes, the clock stopping after every play in the last 2 minutes allows for more comebacks... but when it comes down to it... football is football. Many Canadian NFL-only fans do bash the CFL, that's true. Do you really need to stoop to their level?

A person is allowed to enjoy both leagues. Criticizing someone for it reeks of desparation.
[/quote]
Well put Hammer1

are they stats from this year?

As far as I've read, the NFL is having one of it's highest scoring seasons to date.

I don’t care much for these comparisons and can’t really make one myself since I just don’t have time to watch another league - much less a league of 30+ teams. But here is one American’s point of view, albeit perhaps more than a little biased:

http://www.kfyrtv.com/Video_Sports.asp?news=44768

this is from this yr, but I did the same comparisons a few yrs ago and they were similar.

Completely agreed! :thup:

there are a number of reasons that I do not watch the NFL.

1. I have no relation or closeness with the NFL. all US teams, all millionaires, different sense of reality for these guys.

2. Their rules are not great.. look at Fair Catch rule, dead endzones, QB is allowed to spike the ball, and the walking off the field with 40 seconds to go, plus their 3 Time Outs per half.

3. I have tried watching an NFL game, but I cannot get into it. the atmosphere is boring, the play seems to be slow and very mono-directional. I don't ever seem to see a lot of creativity on the field with plays and style. Maybe it has to do with the smaller field, maybe because of the no motion rules, maybe because the players are slower in certain positions.

I just cannot get into an NFL game.

why would I want to watch two 3-7 teams (aka Monday Night Football SF vs Arizona). when there is so much else on?

they may have the better talented players, they get paid a heck of a lot more.. but the game itself is no where near as good as the CFL's.

yes, if the CFL could pay each player the same amt that NFL teams can and they had the TV coverage and Media coverage like the NFL.. the NFL would be lying dead in the CFL's dust.