OMG Never saw this coming...its 'whiz kid' or Roberts...

Roberts wants out

Bombers look at Whiz Kid
By PAUL FRIESEN -- Winnipeg Sun

Don't look now, but Blink can't see being in the same backfield as the Whiz Kid.

Winnipeg Blue Bomber running back Charles Roberts isn't impressed with the team's efforts to sign suspended NFL running back Onterrio Smith.

In fact, the CFL's leading rusher last season is so put off by what he calls a "slap in the face," he wants out.

"If that is the direction they want to go in ... they should make him the man and trade me up out of there," Roberts told the Sun yesterday. "I have no problem with going elsewhere."

That's in sharp contrast to what Roberts has previously said: that he couldn't see playing for any other team.

And it shows how hurt he feels that the Bombers would pursue another back.

Smith, currently suspended by the NFL for failing drug tests, was released by the Minnesota Vikings last week.

The Bombers immediately placed him on their negotiation list, and began talks with his agent.

Minnesota's leading rusher in 2004, Smith could, potentially, be a star in the CFL. He's a 5-foot-10, 220-pound speedster who can also return kicks and catch passes out of the backfield.

ORIGINAL WHIZZINATOR

The 25-year-old also made headlines last year, when he was stopped at the Minneapolis airport with a device called the Original Whizzinator, designed to beat drug tests.

Roberts says he has nothing against Smith, who, like Roberts, is from Sacramento, Calif.

But after five consecutive seasons as a CFL all-star, he's not ready to share time in the backfield.

"I know they have to do what they feel is necessary to win, especially with the Grey Cup coming up," he said. "But me being in the prime of my career and never been faced with this type of situation before, I would rather not.

"I'm not trying to be selfish. I hope people don't take it the wrong way. But if they were in my shoes, after five years of steady play, you don't want to have a lesser role."

Told of Roberts' comments, Bomber GM Brendan Taman couldn't suppress a chuckle.

"We haven't had one rep on the field yet and he's saying (that)... he's entertaining, I'll say that," Taman said. "The bottom line in this whole thing is whatever gives us the best chance to win. If Charles has to run for 400 yards and we go 16-2, so be it. If he rushes for 2,000 yards and we go 4-14, I don't like that idea."

Taman says Roberts will remain the team's top running back, regardless of whether or not it signs Smith.

But Roberts was unimpressed.

"Brendan don't run the offence," Roberts said. "Brendan is in the front office. As you see with Kyries Hebert, Brendan doesn't really care how a player feels."

Hebert is trying to get out of his Bomber contract so he can try the NFL.

This isn't the first time Roberts has clashed with management.

It appears to be the most serious, though, particularly when you look at his comments about Taman, the person who discovered him back in 2001.

"I don't know if he's ever strapped on the football pads and knows the real emotion that a player has," Roberts said of the GM. "

I want a certain amount of carries. I want to be a 100-yard rusher. That's just my expectations."

Roberts isn't enamoured with new head coach Doug Berry's plan, either, to employ a more wide-open passing attack, often using five receivers and just one running back.

"With the direction the offence is going, my touches seemingly were going to be down this year as it is," Roberts said.

"Circumstances come about where you feel like you've done as much as you can for the team. I think it would be better for both sides if I were moved."

It sounds like he shouldn't hold his breath.

"He ain't going nowhere," Taman said. "I can assure you of that."

This one should be interesting.

Very interesting stuff indeed. Looks like it will an interesting year in the Peg. If this stuff continues, it might a long year for Bomber fans.....

Between this and Hebert Its almost as if Taman went to the Bobby Clarke school of General managing.

Well at the least the bomber team doctors can diagnose a concussion , unlike the philly team physicians.

lol

…Don’t believe all you read in the Wpg’ enquirer’…Charlie will be doing his thing for the Bombers…thats a cetainity… :wink:

he's still under contract i assume for this year so there's nothing much he can do about it anyway but complain.

Didn't see this coming either. I never thought of Roberts as a me-guy. I can't say I'm impressed with his public whining. You can disagree in the coach's office, but why make a scene like that and show your fellow teammates what you really care about is yourself? Would Antonio Warren, Corey Holmes or Joffrey Reynolds act like that? Methink not.

...now don't tell me third ...you are cutting a little slack for the WHIZ ...maybe coming to the Peg....or are you just down on Charlie.... news from the ALS camp is that the ALS. have signed a former bad boy in Carter...Whats your take on that? :?:

Oh, I'm a not cutting Smith any slack. Montreal did sign not one but TWO drug users this winter. Two QBs. It is not any better than going after Smith or Williams. Anyways, I do think Charles Roberts is an amazing back, and there's no way WInnipeg would have beaten us last year without him. I just expressed my surprise to see Roberts reveal himself as a Me Me Me guy...

Ahhh, I'll never forget the first time I found out one of my favorite eskies was a drug user. Was just a little shaver back then. Hec Poitier, where have you gone?

I doubt that Smith would come to Winnipeg,however he would be a star over here. The funny thing about Charlie is he likes to stir things up, like he has in the past.
I think we will here Charlie chirping alot more since Coach Berry has already said he will be running a pass happy offence.

IMO, If Smith were to come play down here, he would get the starting job. Shit he is a All star in the NFL, it's to bad the US, is so off base when it comes to Weed, and Drug laws... :x

What are the chances of seeing Roberts playing for the Green and White this year?

How bout a Keith for Roberts trade?

ok, isnt paul friesen known to make things up in the past? i just read in the free press that taman doesnt know howcharlie will react. kinda contradicts what was said in the sun hey? taman has all kinds of cooments in the sun but according to the press he hasnt heard anything.

......that's a fairly big accusation there Jim.......Taman could sue if it was made up, where's that statement out of the BB Head Office?.......more than likely a GM will say something to one reporter, then say something else to another, doesn't mean the first guy's reporting is made up......

im notsaying it is in fact made up. im just running the thought across. because in other forums ive heard the sun was very unreliable, then i read differently in the press. thats all

…ok, but as I said to papa someone should be getting on the damage control board over in Bomber land and try to settle the dust down…Hebert is crying (bad press), Smith is a possible TC attendee and has an admitted drug problem (potential bad press), Roberts says he wants out if Smith shows up (bad press), Taman is reported saying something then says something 180 degrees different later (bad press)…from an outsiders perspective it appears the lug nuts are coming loose before the '06 BB Model has even hit the track for practice laps…

I would much rather have Roberts then Smith

whats Brendan Taman's email address, is there a public one?

btaman@bluebombers.com