Olympic Stadium to get a new roof

That is what the entire thread has talked about so no other inference would seem to be possible and certainly wouldn’t be reasonable.

1 Like

SOFi has has office space, multiple parkades, a performance centre

1 Like

and a partridge in a pear tree…

We get Trudeau to inaugurate it.

1 Like

The entire Olympic complex was built for a billion dollars. And paid off over 25 years mostly from taxing Tobacco users. Peanuts! When you look that it hosted the Olympics and left all of this infrastructure for people to use. It is the ultimate community stadium and much more.

1 Like

When comparing this or any stadium to So-Fi, please keep in mind the private entity owns an asset that generates hundreds of millions of dollars per year, look on a tenant that also does.

In addition to the smaller tennants bringing in some money too, Kroenke will still be billions of dollars ahead should he sell wiping out that stadium debt in one foul swoop.

2 Likes

True … but a billion in 1976 dollars is over $5B today)

1 Like

Yeah, which makes the argument of taking 2 billion and creating a 7 billion dollar hole the size of the mouth of Mount Vesuvius in Montreal. Instead of renovating the thing.

1 Like

I still like @Maaax 's idea with only private money, from various sources of unknown or questionable repute buying the damn thing and transforming it as he depicted.

At public expense, they’ll just have to figure out how to reconfigure the public infrastructure underneath so it’s no longer a potential burden when the damn thing should collapse whenever that is perhaps after we here are no longer around.

1 Like

There is a beautifull manicured beach downtown Montreal already. I don’t know how many of you know this ?

There is no business case where a private party can spend billions creating an indoor beach that will be used six months out of the year in addition to the maintenance and taxes on 64 square blocks of downtown Montreal. Montreal has absolutely everything. The Canal, a Beach, Marinas (the mayor is trying hard to confiscate cause motor boats…) A bicycle highway that goes around the entire city, a massive underground subway. subburban trains, an International airport 13km from dead center downtown. and a Community Stadium that is the largest venue in Canada. Even has a friggin Ferris Wheel

5 Likes

I’ve been up the tower, checked out the Bio Dome but haven’t actually been in the stadium.

A friend of mine caught some Expos games there back in the day and calls it a dump.

Myself, I think the facility, from the out side looks fantastic. It’s very unique and should be preserved. But then, I’m a big fan of Montreal/Toronto public infrastructure projects from the 60s and 70s.

I think the big Owe’s interior needs to be renovated along with the new roof and it should be good for future generations.

1 Like

Its neither modern, nor a dump

Well it’s only imagination at work here, but who ever said it would have to be a business case for THAT sort of private money!?
:partying_face:

It’s never been a business case anyway!

1 Like

And why would it cost BILLIONS to create an indoor beach?

Also, spring/fall are not ideal beach weather and summer has rain, more&more dangerous heat waves and now air quality warnings from forest fires, the season (conceptually) would be more than six months.

2 Likes

It is what it is. I appreciate it. Your mileage may vary.

I am in no way knocking it. I would rather see it repaired than demolished

1 Like

Me too, my friend. :beers:

I dont know if this is possible, but what if they just took the old roof off and left it open??

I saw the Expos play the Dodgers in the Big O. It was a lot of fun. Certainly not a “dump”. Wasn’t fun when Rick Monday hit that dinger in the 9th, 'though.

1 Like

Then it can’t be booked for anything except an outdoor hockey game every few years through the winter, and for anything but sporting events (maybe concerts) in other seasons because of the potential for inclement weather … the sound system likely would still needs to be upgraded for any events to be held, and maybe the technical ring as well.

2 Likes