Olympic Stadium to get a new roof

That part I agree with. But Olympic stadium was built with public funding.

The guy who designed it should have sued been to pay for fixing it.

He may passed away by now (in his nineties).

1 Like

Conceptually I agree … but Olympic Stadium is not a private stadium … it is owned by the Government of Quebec, and the Régie des Installations Olympiques rents the stadium out for events … whether the Régie charges enough is another question … if the people renting the stadium don’t think they can make a profit they wouldn’t rent it, and major events (e.g., a potential Wrestlemania) bring other benefits to the Montreal and Quebec economies.

1 Like

It was built with public money, and as I understand it, is a government-owned facility to this day.

I am of the opinion that if private enterprises want to use the facility to earn a private profit, then those private interests should be purchasing and maintaining the facility with their own private money.

1 Like

Private enterprises rent the stadium for their individual events (like a concert hall, or a hotel ballroom) … no private enterprise is going to buy the stadium and renovate/maintain it for their occasional one-off events (e.g., concerts by different artists) … the issue may rather be whether the Régie operates it in a sufficiently profit-motivated fashion to justify the money spent on regular maintenance/upkeep and now renovations.

Exactly. Private businesses make a profit because taxpayers subsidize the costs.

So the solution is to shut down the Olympic Stadium and never have any MAJOR stadium-level events in Montreal (e.g., WWE, UFC, Taylor Swift concerts, etc.)?

Guess Place des Arts should shut down as well since private businesses rent it out so they can make a profit on the events they hold there?

If the Régie were to run it properly and make a profit, WHAT is the problem?

1 Like

You’re right. ‘The guy who designed it’ DID pass away in his nineties.

"It was Mayor Drapeau who commissioned Roger Taillibert to design the Olympic Stadium. Drapeau called the French architect’s work “poems in concrete.”

4 Likes

If there is a viable business case, then a business person should want to buy and run it. That’s what business people do.

If there is not a viable enough business case for a private enterprise to run it, then by definition it is losing money, and there is no reason to keep draining taxpayer money into a losing proposition in perpetuity.

Governments exist to regulate and promote private business. Not participate in it.

1 Like

Clearly we will never agree … have a nice day

3 Likes

Too bad that poem wasn’t insync with weather in Montreal when that albatross was getting built.

2 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with different opinions. Civil debate is why we’re here. Have a nice day yourself.

2 Likes

That is ridiculous
When does the tenant pay for repairs…
Do you expect the riders to pay for all repairs needed for Mosaic
And who would ever rent under those conditions?

1 Like

So there should be no crown corporations like

Sask Gaming?
Sask GOvernment insurance
Sask Energy and many others?

1 Like

Correct.
Also no government liquor stores, and no corporate welfare from the government.

1 Like

Who knew it would turn out to be a dirty limerick instead?

2 Likes

The point is that the government should not be the landlord. A businessperson should own the building, not the government.

1 Like

Why? Let some rich person get richer and let joe taxpayer make up the diffence in lost revenue to the province? I assune a
Ssk power is your electricty. Like we have hydro quebec? Hydro quebec makes 5 or 7 billion in profit each year. You prefer that wwnt private and the taxpayer paid higher taxes. And higher bills from who ever owes it. And no private company would habe build james bay in the first place

2 Likes

Now that’s some serious eternal SPIN there! Some might even say that guy was O.G. too.

This might have been one of the Seven Boondoggles of the World, or something like that, as this man laughs forever from his grave or wherever he is.

1 Like

Yeah. Tailliabert wasn’t the most practical architect on the planet… there were some who suggested that he was more of a sculptor. If so, Olympic Stadium might be his most hated work.

But hey, everyone in Paris hated the Eiffel Tower when it was built.

2 Likes

If Hydro Quebec makes 6 or 7 billion in profit, then perhaps some healthy competition would bring your power bills down. And if they generate that sort of revenue, then a private interest should have been happy to invest for that kind of return. Unless the cost was too high even to justify those kind of incomes, in which case, if it’s a bad investment for the private sector, it’s also a bad investment for the public purse.

When I lived in BC, we had ICBC, government run auto insurance. Our rates were double what my brother in Alberta paid for private insurance. Sask with SGI is higher, too, though not by quite as much.

Utilities such as power and gas can be more complex because of infrastructure and rights-holders, etc. So its not one-size fits all. But by and large, I’m in favour of government sticking to a regulatory role and to providing a narrow array of services that are unsuitable for private-sector or are untenable as a business (education, roads, military, tax collection, etc). Business should be run by businesses. Governments are ill-suited to the job and usually just mess things up.

1 Like