Olympic Stadium to get a new roof

They could…it was like that for years but
They would loose half a year of usability so there is no gain from how it is now and I do believe the biggest expense is in the fact that they have to change the technical ring

Well if the roof alone is 800 million… ???

The roof work includes the “technical ring” and whatever structure is needed to support a permanent roof not hung from the tower; I expect those account for most of the estimated cost … I believe it may also include some basic internal work like a sound system upgrade … don’t know if it includes a new video screen, but that would be needed as well.

1 Like

Exactly, the Mast cables held the Tarp (at a poor angle because the mast is way shorter than it was engineered so instead of being square on top of the center of thetarp it is behind the tarp causing impossible physical challenges to lifting the tarp at the same speed in spite of all the motor controls and PLC’s that have been tried. So going to a solid roof, it is not possible for the mast to suspend it. so the ring will have to carry the weight of the new roof and any snow that piles on top of it. So the idea of a cost saving going to a permanent solid roof just went out the window.

1 Like

I dont know what the technical ring is. Does the stadium need to be used more than the prairie stadiums??

The “savings” are in not having to replace the roof every ten years and there would be increased revenues from being able to aggressively book the stadium throughout the winter.

The technical ring is where the top of the concrete vertebraes meet. It was never meant to be load bearing, it was more of an alignment trim. So I believe the plan is to brace it using beams across it on two Axis. So the roof will look like a typical glass roof with sections of glass. kind of like the picture of the indoor waterpark.

Its the ring that goes the outside of the hole I dont know what to call it Where the lights are. Notice the ribs all leading to and ending at the ring? The ring ties them all together

As I mentioned…there is no gain to not replacing the roof, you want to generate as much revenue as possible al year round

1 Like

The technical ring is “an immense concrete, oval-shaped structure that plays a crucial role in holding the stadium’s roof in place”. I believe it also is an “anchor” for the stadium ribs, providing structural integrity … as shown above, it also is the primary location for lights and may also have other technical functions (e.g., source for feeding the sound system speakers).

1 Like

I don’t know for sure but I think it was. Kinda like multiple keystones on a horizontal arch

1 Like

The Minister explains this is the first of 3 phases of renovation. Also explains that a renovated stadium will generate revenues of 150 million dollars a year.

The status quo is not possible, declared the Minister of Tourism, Caroline Proulx, on Monday when announcing the decision. If nothing is done, within a year or two, at best, it will be necessary to dismantle the roof, winterize the Stadium and lead to a definitive and complete closure of the Olympic Stadium. »

Instead, this year we will begin dismantling the roof, the 26 cables that connect it to the mast and the technical ring, in addition to winterizing the stadium. In 2025, we will begin assembling the new roof on the ground in addition to building a new technical ring in steel, rather than concrete, so that it is lighter and complies with the new Building Code standards.

In 2026, we will put in place the new white roof made of steel and elastomer and held in place, like the previous one, 75% by 24 cables connected to the mast and 25% by the immense concrete arms which form the rib cage of the Stadium and to which the pieces of tubes which form the technical ring are also attached. The following year, the roof will be lined with a translucent disc allowing light to enter, failing to retract completely as was planned at the time of the stadium’s original design.

Instead, the new roof should double the economic benefits of the Stadium, from 68 million to nearly 150 million per year, the government estimates. In particular, we believe we can multiply by five, from 30 to 150, the number of major sporting events, shows and trade fairs.

The new roof and the new technical ring will be the first step towards the installation of a better sound system and new lighting in addition to allowing a more modular organization of space. The outgoing president and CEO of the Olympic Park, Michel Labrecque, also said he is certain that a professional sports team will eventually adopt the place as their permanent home.

2 Likes

Looks like it is both.

In 2026, we will put in place the new white roof made of steel and elastomer and held in place, like the previous one, 75% by 24 cables connected to the mast and 25% by the immense concrete arms which form the rib cage of the Stadium and to which the pieces of tubes which form the technical ring are also attached. The following year, the roof will be lined with a translucent disc allowing light to enter, failing to retract completely as was planned at the time of the stadium’s original design.

1 Like

Well hopefully these renos at Olympic Stadium, if it actually does remain a stadium, will include cup holders in some of the seating sections as Rogers is doing. :wink:

2 Likes

They tried.

But a misunderstanding occurred between Quebec government officials and the Mexican plant where the seats were being manufactured over the phrase ‘cup holder’… so now all the luxury seats in the newly renovated Olympic Stadium will come with a spot where you can rest your athletic supporter.

2 Likes

It was the involvement of the Mafia NOT the unions you speak of… Sho controlled the unions, the Magia did.

2 Likes

Whose to say that they (the Mafia) aren’t involved with unions in some capacity.

And you base that on what?

More recent story than 1976, but based upon the level of integration, its a safe bet this has been going on for years. Not a stretch to think it was just as predominant in the early to mid 70s

3 Likes

Montreal winning the Olympics wasn’t necessary a bad thing.

The mayor at the time should have addressed that issue along with others before bidding on them.

It also didn’t help that he hired an architect who had zero familiarity in terms of Montreal weather and infrastructure.

1 Like

Im not saying it was a bad thing that they got the Olympics. I was a child at the time, so tough to have an opinion.

For that matter, I’m not opposed to rennovating the stadium. My issue is that public money should not be funding private stadiums, nor should governments be in the business of operating them.

2 Likes