Olympic Stadium to get a new roof

This is about as official as I’ve ever seen on this.

Upon completion, the Als would finally be able to host Grey Cups again.

Not aware if other renovations are taking place like BC did a decade ago.

If more moderns amenities are coming too would it make sense for the Als to move back full time? Perhaps CF Montreal too.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t make sense for the Als to move back to the Big O. Not size appropriate for the Montreal CFL market. Same when Argos were at Rogers Centre. Grey Cups only.

5 Likes

The move to Molson was a good one yes. And it will be great for the coming season too. Funny thing with humans - when its hard to get a ticket - everyone wants to go.

When you have a Barn like Commonweath or the Big O you can put more butts in seats than any other stadium and it still looks empty…

7 Likes

MAYBE playoff games if the team is selling out Perceval Molson in the regular season.

1 Like

If they move back it would have to be lower bowl only.

The Lease at McGill is up after the 2029 season IIRC so they still have time to decide if they decide to do more renovations there.

2 Likes

I recall reading in previous media coverage of whether they would install a new roof that it will also include the “technical ring” around the opening and a new sound system … but I expect there will also be other changes to make the stadium a more appealing site for various events (e.g., seats) … I also wonder whether they will install a permanent field, buy a “sectional field” that can be installed when necessary, as they have done for a few Grey Cups, or just lease fields for such occasions.

2 Likes
  • The stadium would have to be closed within two years if nothing is done, Proulx [Quebec Tourism Minister] said.
  • Demolishing the stadium would cost $2 billion and would be complicated by the fact the Montreal métro runs under the structure
  • It will be rigid, non-retractable and the ring at its base will be transparent.
  • The replacement of the current roof will begin in the summer and is expected to be completed over the next four years. The stadium itself will be closed while construction is going on
  • Proulx has already blamed the dilapidated state of the stadium roof for Montreal being left off Taylor Swift’s Eras tour.

The demolition cost is apparently (from past reports) due to the design and style of construction (e.g., including “pre-stressed” concrete); what makes the demolition costly also contributed to the original cost … I suspect the sections that are now green may be replaced by something transparent/translucent … the Olympic Stadium was once a regular stop for major “rock/music tours” and(as mentionned this morning on TSN690) I could see WrestleMania being held there, WWE loves the Montreal market.

3 Likes

They can’t build a better stadium for $1 Billion?

Edit. Just saw the demolition costs. Wow.

2 Likes

It needs renovations

Yes, I’m sure there will be some heated discussions about renovations at PMS but I can definitely see the Als potentially moving back to the Big O with the lower bowl only as Mighty mentions and also perhaps hosting a/some regular season NFL games here and there.

Are the original construction costs even paid off yet?

2 Likes

It did in 2006. 2 years after the Expos left

1 Like

Did you mean MSL … don’t see NFL looking at Montreal as a “test market” for regular season games … Europe already established in such plans and Mexico seems like the next option.

1 Like

No way, they moved because it was too big and people went to McGill because it’s downtown and easy to get to. Good way to kill the CFL in Montreal again would be to go back to the big Owe.
They shouldn’t even think about using if for a Grey Cup. Grey Cups are pretty successful in 30k to 35k venues with temp seats.
Close to $1 BILLION to put on a new roof?
It has no tenants and not likely to ever have any.
$2B to tear it down? just close it up and walk away, abandon it.

1 Like

Pretty difficult to add temporary seating to Precaval Molson, there really isn’t anywhere to do it.

2 Likes

I could certainly think of better uses for the funds.

7 Likes

What an albatross for the city of Montreal.

5 Likes

Nobody should be around or hurt of course, and Han Solo and Chewbacca should eject whilst in descent of course, but I can’t help but think of the Millennium Falcon crashing into that massive clam shell after seeing that photo.

Unlike in the 1970s, I figure nowadays a whole lot more thought is put into reducing all the risks of any construction that can lead to vastly increased operation AND demolition costs.

As it’s only been a more dominant practice in the last decade, I am not sure if with greener development is there perhaps some mitigation of such dire social consequences.

3 Likes

Yes. Certainly for hosting Grey Cup, but the setting and atmosphere of Percival Molson can’t be beat. Keep in mind, the seating capacity was reduced because of low demand in recent years.